What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What fish do ya'll eat?

firechild

First Grade
^Whats your issue with farmed salmon? The stuff from Tassie and NZ is still pretty awesome IMO. Fish farming is necessary if we're going to sustain fish stocks into the future, no way we can meet demand any other way (and some species like tuna are pretty marginal even when farmed due to the amount of pilchards needed to keep them fed)

When I was studying aquaculture at uni we had to write an essay on sustainability of aquaculture and it was a real eye opener. I was of the same opinion as you but the reality is most aquaculture does more harm than good. You mention feed which is a good example. I mentioned the feed conversion ratio earlier in the thread and for the average species that has a FCR of 1.5 that means over 1 tonne of fish from a lower trophic level than the farmed species (in many cases Sardinops spp.) are caught to produce 1 tonne of farmed fish. By fishing at a lower trophic level it does a huge amount of damage to the natural food chains. Add to that damage done to various environments due to waste and runoff which can effect breeding/feeding grounds for wild populations of farmed species and their prey. This is offset in some (very few in reality) cases by polycultures but there is still damage done. Some governments have forced farms to change methods by making farms release water from upstream to where they take it from, this means that if they pollute waterways then those pollutants will end up back in their own farm.

I'm not convinced yet that many farming methods are sustainable but I believe that we must pursue farming as an option because developing new methodologies will make it more sustainable.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
I have probably eaten salmon about three times in my life so I decided to have some of the canned variety a couple of days ago. Never again!

Twelve hours of reflux, burping up this stale salmon odour which other people could detect...very uncomfortable to say the least.

No problems with canned tuna which I have every month or so.

Thomas

First Grade
A couple of years ago I worked on a commercial tuna boat off South Australia catching live juvenile bluefin for the farms in Port Lincoln. Of course we took a few for eating for ourselves, and we had a stash of good soy, wasabi and pickled ginger there just for the purpose. Awesome stuff. I will say though that for the purpose of sashimi I actually reckon it's at its absolute best if you bleed it, fillet it, cryovac it and put it straight into the freezer for a day or two- a brief period of freezing breaks down some of the connective fibres in the meat which makes the raw tuna really melt in your mouth.
Another thing I do when I go fishing with mates is I'll take a little tupperware container out with some chopped onion, coriander, salt, pepper and chilli in it, plus a few limes- as soon as we get a decent fish we'll fillet it out, chop the meat up, put it into the container with the onions and chill and squeeze the juice from the limes into it. Bung the lid on and chuck it in the esky to marinate for an hour or so, and you've got the freshest ever ceviche for your lunch, amazing stuff.

Oh god. I'm doing intermittent fasting and just drooled a bit in my mouth.

Only 3 hours to go until food time.

macavity

Referee
Can't eat fish. Don't really like the taste, but the main problem is I have fish as pets, and they have names.

I could never be a farmer, I would have to turn vegan.

I dont like fish , was forced to eat it as a young bloke . Smoked cod , just horrible.

I know the benefits of eating fish but I am struggling to bring myself to eat it.

So any suggestions of a good way of trying fish again , something that isn't strong tasting or full of bones.

Apart from shellfish, I don't like much salt water fish, maybe with the exception of wild-caught yellow-belly flounder. Generally much prefer the freshwater fish of Europe, for example the common carp. Good Hungarian fish soup made out of this is absolutely divine. Full of little bones though, so gotta be careful.

beave

Coach
nothing beats fresh salmon cooked in a fry pan with garlic salt sprinkled on both sides.

DoggiesBroke

Juniors
I dont like fish , was forced to eat it as a young bloke . Smoked cod , just horrible.

I know the benefits of eating fish but I am struggling to bring myself to eat it.

So any suggestions of a good way of trying fish again , something that isn't strong tasting or full of bones.

Just head down to your local supermarket, buy some salmon and steam it until it's cooked (about 10 minutes). It's simple and tastes devine. Actually I really like the sound of Beave's post above.

You just got to try it again. I've always been a chocoholic but had an aversion to dark chocolate when I was growing up. I tried it early last year and now prefer it over milk. If anyone is keen you should definitely try vegan raw dark chocolate. The stuff is amazing.

Hooch

Juniors
When I was studying aquaculture at uni we had to write an essay on sustainability of aquaculture and it was a real eye opener. I was of the same opinion as you but the reality is most aquaculture does more harm than good. You mention feed which is a good example. I mentioned the feed conversion ratio earlier in the thread and for the average species that has a FCR of 1.5 that means over 1 tonne of fish from a lower trophic level than the farmed species (in many cases Sardinops spp.) are caught to produce 1 tonne of farmed fish. By fishing at a lower trophic level it does a huge amount of damage to the natural food chains. Add to that damage done to various environments due to waste and runoff which can effect breeding/feeding grounds for wild populations of farmed species and their prey. This is offset in some (very few in reality) cases by polycultures but there is still damage done. Some governments have forced farms to change methods by making farms release water from upstream to where they take it from, this means that if they pollute waterways then those pollutants will end up back in their own farm.

I'm not convinced yet that many farming methods are sustainable but I believe that we must pursue farming as an option because developing new methodologies will make it more sustainable.

You're correct in that the ecological footprint is a lot larger than farming herbivores.

It hammers the overseas pilchard and sardine fisheries mostly from what I read in my time in that industry. There are locally produced feeds, I'm not sure if they source their feedstock here or ship it in.

The stuff about pollution isn't really an issue over here.

It's a small industry here though. Nothing compared to what they get up to in China and Asia.

If I had to choose a fish nothing like fresh whiting off the beach, also love pigs (black drummer), taste pretty good for a fish that loves a feed of shit.

bellyache

Bench
You're correct in that the ecological footprint is a lot larger than farming herbivores.

It hammers the overseas pilchard and sardine fisheries mostly from what I read in my time in that industry. There are locally produced feeds, I'm not sure if they source their feedstock here or ship it in.

The stuff about pollution isn't really an issue over here.

It's a small industry here though. Nothing compared to what they get up to in China and Asia.

If I had to choose a fish nothing like fresh whiting off the beach, also love pigs (black drummer), taste pretty good for a fish that loves a feed of shit.
HTFU! I no Mardigrah was last night but.........

firechild

First Grade

Leatherjacket is a good one. Mild flavour, slightly sweet and bones are relatively large so they are very easy to eat.

Utey

Coach
It's an old wives tale and absolute crap. Unless your eating non-pelagic fish which inhabit waters with known high levels of dioxins, you have nothing to worry about and can eat what you prefer!

Parra

Referee
fresh fish.

Catch it yourself, clean it, treat it well, and cook and eat the same day.

Makes it hard to eat any other fish. Even moreso for crabs.

undertaker

Coach
I don't eat other seafood besides fish due to religious reasons.

My favourite fish that I like to eat is Blue Eyed Cod, closely followed by Mulloway/Jewfish (albeit both of them would be two of the most expensive types of fish sold). Both have that fleshy taste (if you know what I mean). Not a huge fan of Trout or Barramundi

nothing beats fresh salmon cooked in a fry pan with garlic salt sprinkled on both sides.

Very nice as well. Here's a couple of other extremely delicious, yet very easy salmon recipes to make from world renown chef Marco Pierre White (a.k.a. the guy who trained Gordon Ramsay):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=725I12Ym9XE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYMkd0rrrmc

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Not to mention that deep sea fish and those at the top of the food chain often have significantly higher levels of heavy metals like mercury which are bio accumulators

Doesn't stop me from trying to send tuna extinct though.

Wouldn't worry about that unless you happen to be a pregnant woman. Most people will be dead before the mercury bothers them.

Also the milk one is pretty crazy. Its true not all humans produce the enzyme lactase past a certain age (especially certain races) but that's more an issue of tolerance than anything. There are benefits in eating a moderate amount of dairy despite what weirdos who pretend to know what we ate many thousands of years ago (they dont) reckon but stuff like yoghurt and cheese has tolerable amounts of lactose in it.

andrrivall

Juniors
Whiting, Flathead and snapper are good and I always love to eat.Once I go for a tour and I stay at the hotels in Sydney.There I found an exhibitions and a variety of fishes at the business level.I really like this event and was deeply impressed by this.

Click Here

Last edited: