What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What happens if GB beat Oz by 8 points?

doyley

Juniors
In this scenario, we have two teams, Aus and NZ tied on for & against. Lets say GB win 8-0, here is the table.

Team P W L D F A Pts Diff
Great Britain 4 2 2 0 78 74 4 4
Australia 4 2 2 0 76 78 4 -2
New Zealand 4 2 2 0 118 120 4 -2

So who goes through NZ or OZ?

or in the other case GB wins 2 - 0 giving us:

Team P W L D F A Pts Diff
Australia 4 2 2 0 76 72 4 4
New Zealand 4 2 2 0 118 120 4 -2
Great Britain 4 2 2 0 72 74 4 -2

Who goes through GB or NZ???

doyley

Juniors
Lets hope someone makes clarification on this before it happens, otherwise it could be a bit of mess.

If it goes on tries then NZ should be in the final in either scenario since their 'for' total is far above the other teams at the moment.

phonetic

Juniors
I heard it said that 'percentages' would decide the finalist in such a situation. But no real clarification was given.

Agreed, they ought to spell it out before Saturday night so we are not left with the embarrasing situation of no one knowing who has qualified after the 80 minutes.

yakstorm

First Grade
Its the same rules that were clarified last year, so its based upon tries first, then goals, then if those are equal its decided on who scored more tries out of the two teams in matches between the two teams.

So if GB only win by 2 points, NZ is in (unless its a scoreline like 80 - 78), same in the other scenario as well if GB win by 8.

aussies1st

Staff member
Aus have missed lots of conversions so that try gap isn't as big as the pd suggest.

brendothejet

First Grade
What will happen is the number of points scored away by each team will be multiplied by the number of points conceded at home. Then the total number of tries will be multiplied by the number of spanners in a Sydchrome tool set.

This number will then be divided by How much wood a woodchuck can chuck. In the event of a woodchuck not being found, or being found not to be able to in fact chuckwood, the teams will resort to best of three series involving Chess, Snooker and Scissors paper rock.

phonetic

Juniors
brendothejet said:
What will happen is the number of points scored away by each team will be multiplied by the number of points conceded at home. Then the total number of tries will be multiplied by the number of spanners in a Sydchrome tool set.

This number will then be divided by How much wood a woodchuck can chuck. In the event of a woodchuck not being found, or being found not to be able to in fact chuckwood, the teams will resort to best of three series involving Chess, Snooker and Scissors paper rock.

And in that event, Rugby League would be the real winner.

bartman

Immortal
All I understand is that if GB beat Australia by 8, Australia will be knocked out "on points difference". Exactly how I have not been able to find out?

*edit - actually scrap that. I've just read a conflicting report saying Australia stays in if beaten by 8, so I reckon nobody actually knows (or if they do they aren't telling anyone else, like the newspapers...)

yakstorm

First Grade
In short, whatever happens, the RFL will decide who makes the final.... either that or the woodchuck...

Latest posts