What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What happens if the Broncos Dogs game is called off on Friday????

Brisbane Broncos postpone training as they await swine flu results

By Stuart Honeysett and Dan Koch and AAP
June 10, 2009 Brisbane Broncos postponed training as they awaited results of swine flu tests which could see Friday's big clash with the Bulldogs called off.
Test results for the six Brisbane players who took part in the State of Origin series opener in Melbourne with the NRL's only confirmed swine flu Ben Hannant are expected to be known by Wednesday afternoon.

Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen said he couldn't see Friday's match against the Bulldogs at Suncorp Stadium going ahead if any of his quarantined players returned a positive test.

Hannant's Queensland teammates Darren Lockyer, Justin Hodges, Israel Folau, Sam Thaiday and Karmichael Hunt were all quarantined on Monday along with NSW halfback Peter Wallace.

Most of Queensland's Origin players were quarantined for 72 hours with concerns this weekend's round of NRL matches could be affected if any of those players tested positive to the virus.

Media reports were saying Hunt had been suffering from flu-like symptoms, heightening speculation he would return a positive test for the H1N1 virus (swine flu).

"We don't want to panic processes in motion, but we're a bit concerned at the moment about the game on Friday night," Cullen told Sydney radio station 2KY.

"We're waiting on a further test from Karmichael to confirm or otherwise if he's got swine flu or not.

"If he has, our entire squad, that's the first grade and under-20 squads, will be put into 72-hour isolation and commence treatment with Tamiflu.

"We've got the boys at home now, we're not training this morning, we've got them on Tamiflu.

"If Karmichael doesn't come through with it then we can get back to normal but if he does that means the boys are out of action for three days from today."

North Queensland are also awaiting test results expected on Wednesday with their coach Neil Henry and fitness trainer Billy Johnstone quarantined after their roles with the Queensland Origin squad.
Hunt told The Australian on Tuesday night he had been battling flu-like symptoms since last Thursday and struggled through Friday night's loss to Melbourne at Olympic Park.
His condition worsened over the weekend and doctors contacted him on Tuesday night, telling him he had tested positive to influenza A and they believed he had contracted the H1N1 virus.
"I am actually starting to feel a bit better now," Hunt said.
"I was pretty crook over the weekend. I had high temperatures, getting the sweats. My whole body was really sore and I struggled to get to sleep. I had a pretty bad cough and sore throat, all those sorts of things you get when you have the flu. It was just like a really bad one."
Hunt said his girlfriend, father and two of his young cousins were also showing symptoms and had been forced into isolation.
"I don't think they are real happy with me," Hunt joked.
It is believed Hunt is the only member of the Broncos' six Queensland representatives to have returned a positive test.
The option of swapping Friday night's game with the Channel Nine St George Illawarra-North Queensland match on Sunday afternoon is out of the question, given the Dragons' involvement.
Having played the Titans on Monday night, there is no way Wayne Bennett's men will be asked to play on a four-day turnaround, particularly given the chaos which surrounded their game at Skilled Park.
The NRL had been faced with the possibility of cancelling Monday night's game between the Gold Coast and the Dragons due to uncertainty over how many Origin players and officials had been exposed to the virus in Melbourne.
The match went ahead, but in farcical scenes the Dragons' fullback and Queensland winger, Darius Boyd, was the only player placed into quarantine after arriving at the ground, while Queensland and Titans backrower Ashley Harrison was forced to watch the match at home.
Even more stunning was the fact that five NSW forwards - Dragons Michael Weyman, Justin Poore and Ben Creagh plus Titans Luke Bailey and Anthony Laffranchi - were cleared to play before later being placed in quarantine until Thursday.
"I haven't had any tests or anything like that," Harrison said.
"As far as I am aware it is sort of a case of if you start feeling ordinary go in and get the test done. But at the moment I am fine."
Wests Tigers captain and NSW hooker, Robbie Farah, is another to have been quarantined.
"He's not showing any symptoms. It's just a precaution," Tigers coach Tim Sheens said.
NRL chief medical officer, Ron Muratore, moved to quash the hysteria surrounding the illness, saying the strain that had hit Australia was mild and clubs should treat it as they would for any other player suffering from a normal flu in winter.
The results of other players who have been tested for the virus started to filter back on Tuesday night.
Sydney Roosters prop Nate Myles, who was Hannant's roommate in Melbourne for Origin I, was cleared, as was South Sydney and Queensland backrower Michael Crocker.

------------------

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25613838-5018866,00.html

------------------

If Hunt tests positive will they have to isolate the entire Bronco's team?

Will the Bronco's forfeit the match or would the NRL reschedule it for midweek????

Gaba

First Grade
To me its sounds like the common flu, and the broncos might try the swine flu farce to give the injured players more days rest,

Last edited:

miccle

Bench
I believe the NRL have stated a reschedule would have to happen at some stage.

It's also widely tipped that any event like this could make many people realise there's no apostrophe in "Broncos".

;-)

Gaba

First Grade
I wont be surprise to see more teams use the swine flu excuse now to try to get extra days rest between games,especially if they have injurys to thier main players

sooperdooper

First Grade
to bad broncos. the game should go ahead no matter what...
broncos can call im the back ups and play with a weak squad

[FKN-SIK]

Juniors
The flu shouldn't be an excuse. I'm sure there is players to replace them...

I didn't see the dragons or gold coast forfeit or cancel the match. Play the game or forfeit.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
If the game gets rescheduled there might be a slight (and i mean SLIGHT) chance the broncos won't be on channel 9!!!!!

Heavens forbid if that happens, the world should just stop spinning.

Being serious i was actually looking forward to watching this one, shapes up to be a cracker as i can't see the drongos coming up with a -40 point performance 2 weeks in a row

Sleep

Juniors
The Broncos have 50 players and staff in isolation. Who exactly are they supposed to call in?

It'll be rescheduled if Hunt tests positive.

Danish

Referee
If Hunt tests positive, wont it basically just mean 6 Broncos players will have to remain out of the squad??

Bit rich if the NRL allows this match to be played at a later date simply because the Broncos are having trouble with a few of their stars out sick. They should be made to forfeit

broncoman

Juniors
Read the article, if Hunt tests positive the entire first grade team and Under 20's team will be in three day isolation, so who exactly would be playing for the Broncos if they were forced to play?

[FKN-SIK]

Juniors
Read the article, if Hunt tests positive the entire first grade team and Under 20's team will be in three day isolation, so who exactly would be playing for the Broncos if they were forced to play?

I'm quite sure that's what people call a forfeit...

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
If Hunt tests positive, wont it basically just mean 6 Broncos players will have to remain out of the squad??

Bit rich if the NRL allows this match to be played at a later date simply because the Broncos are having trouble with a few of their stars out sick. They should be made to forfeit
Erm no, the whole First Grade squad and TYC squad would have to remain in quarantine until Saturday morning, as the 6 Broncos FG players went back and trained with the team, so everyone has been exposed to it etc etc.

And then the game should rightly be called off, because it is unfair that Brisbane should be forced to play with their whole First Grade squad out (not to mention the whole TYC squad too).

To be honest, I think the clubs would prefer for everyone to play, but it's health authorities who have set the guidelines on this matter.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
:lol: The Broncos aren't serious are they? "Oh noes some of our top players won't be available, so we can't play the game!!!!" Next thing you know they'll be asking for three byes a year, so Origin doesn't impact on them ...

Teela

Juniors
Good to know people can actually read, It will be the entire Broncos first grade squad and all the u/20's who can't play if Hunt tests positive :roll:

bulldog

Bench
I'm sure Gallop flagged some potential for rescheduling if the swine flu became an issue in the NRL, if it happens I just hope neither team is too severely disadvantaged because of it.

Gaba said:
To me its sounds like the common flu, and the broncos might try the swine flu farce to give the injured players more days rest,

How do you figure? What symptoms lead you to your diagnosis doc? You really think a club will voluntarily quarantine all their players in an effort to get a little more rest?

miccle

Bench
:lol: The Broncos aren't serious are they? "Oh noes some of our top players won't be available, so we can't play the game!!!!" Next thing you know they'll be asking for three byes a year, so Origin doesn't impact on them ...

:lol: Reading standards among Knights fans haven't improved...

People here are referring to a situation where the entire first grade and Toyota Cup teams would have to be quarantined and couldn't play. We could scrap together a Qld Cup team, but that'd likely push us over the salary cap due to match payments. Lose-lose situation :crazy:

Jobdog

Live Update Team
:lol: Reading standards among Knights fans haven't improved...

People here are referring to a situation where the entire first grade and Toyota Cup teams would have to be quarantined and couldn't play. We could scrap together a Qld Cup team, but that'd likely push us over the salary cap due to match payments. Lose-lose situation :crazy:
Won't happen. Stop making excuses.

Latest posts