What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What happens if ???

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Give him a fair go......Wow. Apparrently 44 rounds of footy is not enough.

I will support him just like he did the players during the red v forum. Just like he supports the club, his fans and Manager when they needed him most.

Father Ted

First Grade
So Price has been to confession and you've made him learn to coach over the off season as penance?

It's more likely a question to ask "What if the Greens win the election and Rugby League teams must at least 50% women playing would you choose Lisa Alexander as co-coach"

Price would have remote chance of winning six in a row next season if we signed Greg Inglis, Cameron Smith, Cooper Cronk and Sam Burgess. But even then I'd still give you odds against it

There was an Aussie Lawyer in the UK I think his name was Geoffrey Robertson I am trying to do what he did on his Hypotheticals series You throw something out there and see what people say and how they react.. It's interesting Cagey I think the supporters are the one's doing Penance

Last edited:

Jersey No 14

Juniors
Let him coach this season out - then fire him.
The talent was have is just poorly coached and should be further up the table.
I really feel that souths are going to tear us a new arse, just in time us to be their bitch.
Doust sole objective is spend the money he has.
Mission statement - No pretenders, we've had our share.

karuah6

Juniors

I will support him just like he did the players during the red v forum. Just like he supports the club, his fans and Manager when they needed him most.

Get a life Slippery. Have a look what he has done with the young players at the club when he coached them. You just like to see your name in print:x:x

Doust's own words regarding Soward:

"the way the board understood that, and that includes me, was that there were genuine feeling of his contribution to team performance and day-to-day activities were not up to the standards that were being set."

It's up to the club, coach and players to maintain the standards. If Soward wasn't buying in to it all then he had to go. Simple as that.

....I think the standard Peter Doust was referring to, is Steve Price's presence of command.

Not "meeting the standards" is a euphemism for a disagreement between Steve Price and Jamie Soward. on how they should play. It's spin.

Full credit to the Board though for backing their coach in his power play over a recalcitrant player. Sends out all the right signals to players, fans, bar staff ...and any incumbent coach that may drop in some time in the future.

Still, I say power to Steve Price; box ticked - that'll show them all what a strong leader he is.

Q: On Hand of new playing talent coming on board, is there going to be any changes to the game plan ? ...will it remain the same, or can we expect a complete new one in 2014 ??

KiamaSaint

Coach
Unfortunately your are one of the apologists for Price and it seems you are quite happy to go along with the same regime of coaching for next year and waste another year in the wilderness all for the sake of "Lets give him a fair go"...he's only had 2 seasons and in that time we have gone backwards in all facets of our game.

The playing roster this year was stronger than last year with the addition of a number of players. We even secured Josh Dugan this year and still we continue to go backwards in attack, defence, position on the ladder etc.

OK lets all be gentlemen and give him another year to see if after 3 seasons he can improve anything...

Let him coach this season out - then fire him.
The talent was have is just poorly coached and should be further up the table.
I really feel that souths are going to tear us a new arse, just in time us to be their bitch.
Doust sole objective is spend the money he has.
Mission statement - No pretenders, we've had our share.

This, this and this.

jenninga

First Grade
Unfortunately your are one of the apologists for Price and it seems you are quite happy to go along with the same regime of coaching for next year and waste another year in the wilderness all for the sake of "Lets give him a fair go"...he's only had 2 seasons and in that time we have gone backwards in all facets of our game.

The playing roster this year was stronger than last year with the addition of a number of players. We even secured Josh Dugan this year and still we continue to go backwards in attack, defence, position on the ladder etc.

OK lets all be gentlemen and give him another year to see if after 3 seasons he can improve anything...

I have made my view clear about Price and I never said I was happy with his coaching or for him to continue ,just get's boring at the continuous attacks and sniping.

This is getting bloody boring. Lets get on & support the club if some of you know how. Price will be coach next year whether you like it or not.

Boring...? well maybe yes.

But blindly following the blind is not support. It's dumb.

We've got a voice, we use it to demand somehting better.

That's only how things change.

Blue Dragon

Juniors
IMO anyone can be a good coach if they have a great roster. Great coaches are those who can still achieve some positives when they have an average roster. We actually have a pretty good roster I think in 2013, if you exclude the obvious problem we have in the halves. Price should have been able to do a lot better with this team. What's he going to do to Widdop next year?

6 in a row? Clear the runway for the pigs

karuah6

Juniors
Boring...? well maybe yes.

But blindly following the blind is not support. It's dumb.

We've got a voice, we use it to demand somehting better.

That's only how things change.

What I said is support the club, I think they know what they are doing. Things don't change just because we want it to change. All the years I have supported this club, they have given supporters a very good team to be proud of. Yes at the present time we are not going that well but you can bet it won't last. As I have said before it is not in the clubs DNA to be near the bottom of the table.
Sure it is people's prerogative to question what the club is doing to rectify problems with the way the team is going, but you can see what the club is doing to improve our team.
Can we win most of our games in 2013, I don't know but I am feeling confident that the signings we have done, with more to come, we will have a terrific side next year.
So don't keep on harping about the coach, it is still bloody boring.:D:D:D

dragondonar1

Juniors
I don't blame price I blame doust. He has been at the club for too long . No one person is bigger than the club. He seems to think the club belongs to him. I think price with the correct support via experienced assistants will lead our great club back to the front of the pack. That is if doust gives full control of team control to the coach. From what I've heard and read price has his hands tied.

to_ddeath

Coach
With McGregor as a likely assistant, that is unlikely to happen. If Price hasn't put his foot down & demanded more by now then he isn't going to any time soon. The thing is if injuries compound our situation next season with him still there, then the Price defenders will cry poor again & demand he be given yet another year to prove himself. Fact is, the best coaches overcome difficulties & still produce teams capable of competing a lot better week in/week out than what we have at present. IMO we are beyond giving the bloke another chance, he's used up all his lifelines already.

T.

Gazzaw

Juniors
What happens if next year with a new roster Price is given just for arguements sake six games to prove himself and WINS THE LOT.. What happens then ?? Just curious for you're collective thoughts ?

Doesn't matter. He couldn't coach roosters to a win

What I said is support the club, I think they know what they are doing. Things don't change just because we want it to change. All the years I have supported this club, they have given supporters a very good team to be proud of. Yes at the present time we are not going that well but you can bet it won't last. As I have said before it is not in the clubs DNA to be near the bottom of the table.
Sure it is people's prerogative to question what the club is doing to rectify problems with the way the team is going, but you can see what the club is doing to improve our team.
Can we win most of our games in 2013, I don't know but I am feeling confident that the signings we have done, with more to come, we will have a terrific side next year.
So don't keep on harping about the coach, it is still bloody boring.:D:D:D

I criticise a Club that rests on its laurels and does little to resolve a bad situation on the score-board, so as to speak.

Luckily, that's not us.

I accept the Club is doing all it can. As a tragic supporter I am pleased that the St.George Illawarra Dragons have been the most active they have ever been in the player market for example, and given our rich history, for (umm) "organic growth" that is a very big thing and not to be undervalued. It's good also that our Club is progressive in its efforts to communicate with supporter forums, community involvement and the like, and their Website which is excellent. (although, I do hate the BS spin that sometimes comes from the Club for which we are developing a reputation for).

I do however question dumb decisions; or, to take the personal / emotive inference out of it, I question decisions that have already proven unsuccessful.

And I seriously criticise not learning from mistakes.

Honestly, I do not believe in Steve Price's abilities to be successful as a first grade coach in the NRL. In short, I don't think he has a strong footy brain; don't think he's a game tactician; don't think he maximises the potential of players or is a strong motivator of men and is afraid to take risks. Nor is he a strong leader. He's a softie.

And that's maybe where you and I differ Karuah because if you accept that he is not a good solution as head Coach of our great football team then one may reasonably question the decision making of those who who appointed him.

I can accept his apppointment however IF there was no other suitable candidate at the time, but I cannot accept the decision to (re)ppoint Steve Price based on merit. I think we've seen enough.

I understand the cattle issue, but I still expect to see a man who has been so very directly involved with the team for quite a few years now and who occupies arguably the single most important role in the Club to somehow / somewhere add value to the team - in some facet of their game.

To date he has not.

We'll jag a few more wins more out of the individual motivation of some (key) players, and team spirit, and less because of game planning, tactics, leadership and discipline.

karuah6

Juniors
Fair comment Black Forrest. I may be totally wrong & will admit it if this team does not improve in the upcoming games, but I have just got a feeling that we will see a lot better improvement in the rest of the performance this year.
The game tonight is very important & if we can get a win it will be a start.
It's good to talk to sensible people on this forum & look forward to further discussions with you.
Lets all get behind the boys & hope we can string several wins together.
Up the Dragons