What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What has been the greatest decade for music, movies? (and tv, sport etc.)

Smack

Coach
For me the 70s was the worst for music until the punk movement woke it from its torpor.

The way things are going, the current decade will probably take that mantle with its manufactured sterile dross.

70s had some great metal bands

sabbath, purple, irons, acdc, motorhead etc..

horrie hastings

First Grade
Yep I forgot Friends never saw an episode.

the only good thing that ever came out of Friends.

on a slight foot note, driving back from up the north coast back in 1997 and going around the
Bulahdelah bends on the old Pacific Hwy, this song came on the radio and I just about burst into laughter and was lucky not to run the car off the road in the pouring rain.

Zachary Smith

Juniors
70s. (I realise many of these bands started in the 60s)

Pink Floyd
Led Zeppelin
Elton John
Genesis
Queen
David Bowie
The Rolling Stones
Deep Purple
10CC
Supertramp
Sex Pistols
The Clash
AC/DC
The Saints
Slade
Marc Bolan/T-Rex
The Ramones
Blonde
Talking Heads
The Eagles
Fleetwood Mac
Joni Mitchel
Crosby Stills & Nash
Neil Young
Linda Ronstadt
Bee Gees
Marvin Gaye
Stevie Wonder
Bob Marley

Too many to list.

edabomb

First Grade
Everyone will say it's the decade they went through the majority of their teens in.

And unless that's the 90s, they're wrong.

The great thing about the 90s was you could mistakenly buy a shirt 3 sizes too big and not have to worry about going back and exchanging it.

axl rose

Bench
The golden age of TV drama is certainly right now. As you say GOT is equivalent to any movie, as are shows like Westworld, Breaking Bad, and countlesss others.

True Detective, The Handmaids Tale (seriously, watch it). Majority of modern movies have such terrible writing in comparison. Big dumb comic book films, yawn.

Still enjoy 80s music. Id say there is something seriously wrong with the music business if Guns' can come back and be the biggest touring band in the world. The original lineups last tour was in 92.They were good but the 'brand' should be dead and buried.

5fb.jpg

Last edited:

azzah72

Bench
I'm going to go a bit off script and say the last 10 years has been the best "decade" for TV.

2008 - 2018 (so far).

Just way way way too much good TV has come and gone for it not to be considered.

Off the top of my head:

GOT
True Detective S1
Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul
Stranger Things
Fargo
The Night of
Black Mirror
Handmaid Tale
Westworld
Homeland
The Americans
Boardwalk Empire

Iafeta

Referee
Watching the series from CNN which goes through pop culture of each decade. Was thinking what has been the best decade and why?

For me it’s easily the 80s. Born in the early part of the decade and feel lucky to have lived through that growing up. Going to see Back to the Future as it’s just come out in cinema, A-Team on tv on a Saturday evening, and musically I still love hard rock/soft rock. The rock ballad period is now critically panned but there’s no better collection of songs in my view.

Few selections from the 80s

Movies
The Empire Strikes Back
Indiana Jones (Temple of Doom and Last Crusade, didn’t see Raiders for a long time after the 80s)
Back to the Future I and II (the future scenes in the second one was an incredible experience in the cinema..hover boards ffs)
ET
Goonies
Rocky III and IV
Top Gun
Ghostbusters
Gremlins
Beetlejuice
Batman
The Karate Kid I and II
Big
Neverending Story
Spaceballs
Police Academy
Scrooged
Labyrinth
Superman I and II (General Zod was particularly good)
Harry and the Hendersons

I would add The Shining, Terminator, Die Hard and any others I didn’t see until much later as they weren’t an eighties experience.

Music

Much of these I heard via two older brothers favourite artists

A-Ha (older brothers band)
Iron Maiden (as was this)
Guns N Roses (most of these hard rock bands eldest brother listened to)
The Police
Phil Collins
Def Leppard (Hysteria was the first album record I bought)
Bon Jovi
Heart
Poison
Queen
Whitesnake
U2
Cyndi Lauper
Michael Jackson (“Smooth criminal” was the first record single I bought)
Dire Straits

Slightly more embarrassing now I bought Jason Donovan’s Ten Good Reasons album. Can’t think of any reasons now why I did (he was great as Scott though).

Have vague recollections of Live Aid but not enough to stick it in. Only years later appreciated how great Freddie Mercury was. Certainly remember it’s offshoot Sport Aid which was in 1986.

TV

Saturday mornings BBC had a kids show called Going Live (was three hours of mayhem).
A-Team
Knight Rider
McGuyver
Airwolf
Family Ties
Disney’s Gummi Bears
Talespin
Chip n Dale Resue Rangers
The Smurfs
ThunderCats
Alvin and the Chipmunks
Different Stokes

You Aussies produced great stuff too.

Crocodile Dundee (both films, first film everyone knows “that’s not a knife”, but the second also produces a classic when the aboriginal fella shouts, “if Mick want his clothes back he can climb down there and get him bloody self”)
Neighbours, every bit as big as the two dominant soaps (EastEnders and Coronation Street) here in the UK...that Scott/Charlene storyline was everywhere, Daphne dying was probably the first time I saw death on tv.
Home and Away was also great back then. Bobby, Flathead
Henderson Kids. What a cracking show this was. A younger Kylie appeared in this if I remember right.

I’d add Mad Max 2 but didn’t see it the during the decade. Midnight Oil, Men and Work, loved their stuff later also

The sport side I missed out on as I didn’t start following Liverpool until the decade was over...which is a shame as we dominated the 80s, Aussie Craig Johnston was a major player for us during it too. Do recall Mike Tyson fighting Frank Bruno though, plus Ben Johnson cheating, Flo Jo cheating. In Rugby league I didn’t follow St Helens until later also.

I think it depends on when you were born. For me, it’s the 80s easily. I’ve got a few more for your excellent list

TV

Married... with Children
Cheers
Wonder Years
Night Court
Cosby Show (Bill, what did you do?)
Alf
Full house
Simpson’s started in the 80s

Movies

Ferris Buellers Day Off
Breakfast Club
Lost Boys
Raging Bull
National Lampoons
St Elmo’s Fire
Planes Trains & Automobiles
Derilious
Airplane
Raw
Beverly Hills Cops
Footloose
Dirty Dancing
Stand by Me
Die Hard
Aliens
Princess Bride
Poltergeist
Platoon

For TV I will throw in a controversial one. WWF. It’s the decade where wrestling from the US exploded. Hogan, Andre etc...

Iafeta

Referee
70s. (I realise many of these bands started in the 60s)

Pink Floyd
Led Zeppelin
Elton John
Genesis
Queen
David Bowie
The Rolling Stones
Deep Purple
10CC
Supertramp
Sex Pistols
The Clash
AC/DC
The Saints
Slade
Marc Bolan/T-Rex
The Ramones
Blonde
Talking Heads
The Eagles
Fleetwood Mac
Joni Mitchel
Crosby Stills & Nash
Neil Young
Linda Ronstadt
Bee Gees
Marvin Gaye
Stevie Wonder
Bob Marley

Too many to list.

Excellent list. A lot of outstanding performers there including my all time favourite band - Fleetwood Mac.

Life's Good

Coach
Excellent list. A lot of outstanding performers there including my all time favourite band - Fleetwood Mac.

You love Mac too??
I still have a crush on Stevie Nicks. Her voice never gets old. Alongside Lindsey Buckingham they were an awesome combination.

I love 'The Chain'. Iconic introduction to the BBC Formula 1 coverage for many years.

Iafeta

Referee
Absolutely. Rumours is easily one of the greatest albums ever made. Have seen them three times now. The Chain and Tusk are phenomenal live.

Latest posts