What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What improvements have you seen in your team

boonboon

Juniors
Tigers have gone ahead in leaps and bounds the last 2 years. On the field - better defense, the ability to hang in to games, from hardly a rep player to more last year then any other club and from consistently 9th or so to 3rd and one game from a grand final last year. Also we can now attract star players - lote, Ellis, Benji resinging. We have improved crowds, improved merchandise, move valuable playing kit in NSW from a sponsorship perspective, a club respected in the community - Tigers have gone a long way in the last 7 years since Sheens came to the club was the start of the beginning and now we are the leading club in NSW I would say

_Johnsy

Referee
For mine we may have one or two bad days each season compared to six or seven in previous years.

Whenever we play we know we are no worse than 50% chance to win (except V canberra) and that each player will give 100% each week. As a fan you cant ask for more than that.

BranVan3000

Coach
I think the last two years have been massive for Souths. Of course we've seen improvements across the park since Crowe came in but the best of it has come in the past 18 - 24 months

Superior recruitment, upgrade in coaching, stronger mentality (though not flawless), and better on field performance.

Yes we got slaughtered by injury, which exposed a gaping flaw in our depth (hopefully that improves in 11 with our Toyota Cup team coming into the fray), and I think for the first time Souths are genuine contenders as long as our cards line up and we don't have a horror injury run again.

I think we'll be able to hold onto that top 4 spot we had this year, as long as we keep injuries at bay.

But the big thing we need to work on is mentality. It seemed like we got shaken up by the first injury (which I think was Luke), and never quite recovered. Although things got much worse from there

EDIT:

The biggest thing I see is that our improvements are hopefully long term strides, and building blocks that will make us consistently competitive. Not just have bursts of competitiveness and then fall away for a few years (eg Eels, Warriors)

Last edited:
I thought we improved when reading our lineup for the semi against the roosters and seeing that purtell wasn't in the centres only to then notice our super coach had snuck him into the second row hahaha

D

Deleted member 10972

Roosters

- learned to filter through the youth. By Round 11, Brian Smith had identified the young players who were not required anymore for 2010 (Daniel Fepuleai, Brad Takairangi, Aiden Guerra, Ben Jones, Jason Baitieri) as well as the older players who were surplus to requirements (James Aubusson and Lopini Paea). These players rarely appeared again in 2010.

- identified the best talent we had and gave them extended runs in the team, such as Joseph Leilua, Mose Masoe, Martin Kennedy, Kane Linnett, Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, showing faith in a core group of exceptionally talented youngsters

- a more cohesive attacking unit with Anasta at lock and Todd Carney at five-eighth, allowing for Pearce to ease back into a controlling role, and consequently turning previously maligned outside backs SKD, Perrett and Graham into attacking dynamos

- stronger defense, especially in the back end of the season, where every player would be more trusting of their inside man, rather than making spontaneous decisions to rush up out of the line

- players like Nuuausala, Pearce, Friend, SKD, Perrett, Aubusson (Mitch), Myles hitting career best form at a good age

- Jason Ryles, Anthny Minichiello, Daniel Conn, Braith Anasta and Phil Graham providing the experienced core that led the team through the hardest periods

- Anthony Minichiello returning to form after 5 years of persistent back injuries that could have destroyed his career entirely

Looking to the future: Riddell is a stop-gap signing, but I am exciting about Anthony Watts. His high impact style of play should compliment the grittier, tough style of Jake Friend. The rest of the team is pretty much the same - Nick Kouparitsas, Lopini Paea and James Aubusson are not significant losses.

1. Anthony Minichiello
2. Sam Perrett
3. Shaun Kenny-Dowall
4. Kane Linnett
5. Phil Graham
6. Todd Carney
7. Mitchell Pearce
8. Jason Ryles
9. Jake Friend
10. Nate Myles
11. FP Nuuausala
12. Mitch Aubusson
13. Braith Anasta

14. Mark Riddell - signed from Wigan
15. Daniel Conn
16. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves
17. Martin Kennedy

Lama Tasi - signed from Sea Eagles NYC
Mose Masoe
Tinirau Arona - signed from Newtown NSWRL
Joseph Leilua
Rhys Pritchard - signed from Magpies NSWRL
Brad Takairangi
Anthony Watts - signed from Cowboys
Aiden Guerra
Cheyse Blair - elevated from Roosters NYC
Jonathan Ford
Justin Carney - signed from Raiders
Anthony Cherrington
Boyd Cordner - elevated from Roosters NYC
Ben Jones
Byron Fruean - signed from Newcastle Comp
Steve Naughton
Filinga Filiga - signed from Magpies NSWRL
Tom Symonds
Mark Kheirallah - elevated from Roosters NYC

Rumors are that we have also picked up David Thomas (Eels NYC) and Kurt Kara (Magpies NSWRL).

Newtown Jets have also picked up Isaac Maliota (Roosters NYC), Boyd Strickland (Roosters NYC), Josh Kent (Bulldogs NYC), Chris Afamasaga (Goulburn), Chris Enaharo (Tweed Head QLD Cup), Brock Harmer (Newcastle Comp), Brett Lane (BRET NSWRL), alongside continuing Jets players:

Brad Barrett
Ryan Verlinden
James Koloamatangi
Byron Ford
Khalid Deeb
Luke Towers

mongoose

Coach
For mine we may have one or two bad days each season compared to six or seven in previous years.

Whenever we play we know we are no worse than 50% chance to win (except V canberra) and that each player will give 100% each week. As a fan you cant ask for more than that.

For the first time in 10 years we finally have a squad that can challenge for the premiership. The team is also starting to gel a bit under Furner. It just sucks so much that campese wont be back until mid year.

I expect the raiders to atleast make a grand final in the next 3 seasons.

BranVan3000

Coach
For the first time in 10 years we finally have a squad that can challenge for the premiership. The team is also starting to gel a bit under Furner. It just sucks so much that campese wont be back until mid year.

I expect the raiders to atleast make a grand final in the next 3 seasons.

Raiders have a good team. Just hope you can keep them together

Eels Dude

Coach
EDIT:

The biggest thing I see is that our improvements are hopefully long term strides, and building blocks that will make us consistently competitive. Not just have bursts of competitiveness and then fall away for a few years (eg Eels, Warriors)

What exactly do you see as competitive? I think most Eels and Warriors fans would be pleased with making the semis more often than not, and when they miss out are at least still in contention for semis in the final rounds. That's still something Souths are yet to accomplish.

BranVan3000

Coach
What exactly do you see as competitive? I think most Eels and Warriors fans would be pleased with making the semis more often than not, and when they miss out are at least still in contention for semis in the final rounds. That's still something Souths are yet to accomplish.
I see competitive as a team who doesn't do well one year and completely drop the ball the next. I'm not saying Souths are innocent of that, but they appear to be on a path where they'll stay consistently competitive and improve on a year to year basis rather than have spurts of greatness followed by sh*t (see: Bulldogs).

why do parra fans have problems with some of the older guys they are getting?
Whatuira could help them out heaps,and hicks was one of the form wingers before he left

flippikat

First Grade
Warriors have improved their defensive record and their ability to win on the road.

However, I see little more improvement coming until the 1,6,7,9 situation is addressed as well as the "not lose first, win second" mentality.

Good point, but I take a lot of heart from the performance of the under-20s.

Winning playoff games is a habit, and those guys now know what it takes.. That and their youthful enthusiasm will help the club in the next few years.

Discipline for the Roosters last year off the field was the key. Also a decent 1,6,7,and 9.

Some of the team last year went from fringe players and players that had been a round a while but were not consistent to players that stood out. Also quite a few of them have been together for a few years now.

Cherrington and Symonds back into the squad next season after missing this year and some new recruits give us some more depth.

The 20's and juniors below also doing well last season.

But for m,ine it is off field where the big improvements have come along. We now have a base again.

zombie jesus

Staff member
There has been no improvement when you look at the overall team results.

A bit of improvement from individuals to note.
Glenn Stewart back to better form.
Jason King stepping up.
Matt Ballin and Kieran Foran confirmed they are classy players.
Oldfield, Hopoate, Whare have made good starts to their careers.
Tony Williams heading the right way in his development.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Simple: our defence. Yes, our style of play pissed off opposition fans wanting to see a try-fest every game, but as a Saints fan the steel in our defence since Bennett arrived has pleased me greatly. In the past we played pretty, but were very inconsistent, and our defence could be very flaky.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
What I have seen at the Raiders is Furner has no time for mediocre toilers who will "get the job done" but won't exactly set the world on fire. Dumping Purtell in favour of Vidot was a huge sign of intention imo. Vidot might drop the odd bomb and make the odd mistake but he is a much more dangerous player than the Turtle.

The forward pack is the best in the comp and proved itself to be the best in the comp last year.

I think the Furners have done well. Also we have re-signed every player we intended on signing since we lost Zillman to the Titans and have actually started doing well on the player market. There has been a massive change in culture at the Raiders and its pretty good news.

Desert Qlder

First Grade

Good times being a Saints fan. I'm bitterly jealous.

To think NQ gave up on Wayne Bennett as coach ](*,)

Desert Qlder

First Grade
The only improvement so far for North Queensland has been an apparent willingness to address the long list of problems the club is facing.

This is manifest in the decision to cut a lot of the dead wood, sign good clubmen for the upcoming seasons and think outside the square in sounding out Phil Gould for advice. I didn't necessarily agree with the choice of Gould for the job, but at the very least it showed they were prepared to do something other than the norm. The growth in Matt Scott I'm sure will reap benefits also, as he assumes greater leadership within the club.

It is far to early to judge whether any of this will have an effect on the club and it's on field performance. But I've felt better this offseason than I have in recent years.

Latest posts