What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is Gus' agenda with Saints

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
While Gus has always been an egotistical wanker he only has his club's best interest at heart. If only the Dragons had some people in the top office capable of running the club including making some ruthless calls you wouldn’t be in the situation you’re in atm. Actually sad to see such a once proud club in their current state.

gregstar

Referee
It's not the fat ugly slug's fault we're a debacle.

And quite frankly if someone asked you whether they should go to the Dragons under this incompetent bunch of buffoons would you endorse it?

I love the club but even if Craig Bellamy called me I'd tell him to coach the Woodridge Disabled Rug Munchers 3rd Grade horseshoe-throwing team instead.

Until the entire board is strung up by their short & curlies, I wouldn't recommend it to any serious self-respecting coach.

Walpole

Juniors
It's not the fat ugly slug's fault we're a debacle.

And quite frankly if someone asked you whether they should go to the Dragons under this incompetent bunch of buffoons would you endorse it?

I love the club but even if Craig Bellamy called me I'd tell him to coach the Woodridge Disabled Rug Munchers 3rd Grade horseshoe-throwing team instead.

Until the entire board is strung up by their short & curlies, I wouldn't recommend it to any serious self-respecting coach.
To be fair though, the Woodridge Disabled Rug Munchers 3rd Grade horseshoe-throwing team have looked a lot better since Gus did a review.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Gus on 100% Footy planting seeds again regarding our halves. He wants Hunt or Bud. He said that Hunt is frustrated because he does not want to play hooker. New coach will have a battle on his hands to keep him if he is not at half. In other words put Hunt at half or else so Sullivan will ask for release and guess what, Dogs will be in talks with Sullivan. OR..Hunt told to go Hooker, Hunt offered No.7 by the Dogs, Hunt asks for a release and Hunt goes to Dogs. Getting too predictable in your old age Gus.

If Hunt demands No.7 and Flanno wants him at hooker, we know how that will end up. But I think Flanno if anyone because of his track record can talk sense into Hunt to be hooker as it will be our best chance for a crack at a premiership if he feels that way. If there is anyone that can make a spine of Sloan, Bud and Hunt work it is Flanno.

Wolfgang90

Juniors
Gus on 100% Footy planting seeds again regarding our halves. He wants Hunt or Bud. He said that Hunt is frustrated because he does not want to play hooker. New coach will have a battle on his hands to keep him if he is not at half. In other words put Hunt at half or else so Sullivan will ask for release and guess what, Dogs will be in talks with Sullivan. OR..Hunt told to go Hooker, Hunt offered No.7 by the Dogs, Hunt asks for a release and Hunt goes to Dogs. Getting too predictable in your old age Gus.

If Hunt demands No.7 and Flanno wants him at hooker, we know how that will end up. But I think Flanno if anyone because of his track record can talk sense into Hunt to be hooker as it will be our best chance for a crack at a premiership if he feels that way. If there is anyone that can make a spine of Sloan, Bud and Hunt work it is Flanno.

Well he's right. Ben Hunt doesn't want to play hooker every single week in the nrl, especially at his age. It's different to playing hooker 3 times a year at origin. We'll need to pick between Amone & Sullivan to partner Hunt in the havles. That's also correct. We've got Liddle at Hooker who has shown some great signs, so there's not even a need to play Hunt at hooker.

We should be backing Sullivan as he's a better player than Amone right now, has more potential in the future due to his kicking game & game management. He's also a legitimate halfback, quality halfbacks are difficult to find compared to 5/8ths. Hunt has a max 2-3 years left in him, play Sullivan with him during that time in the halves so he can learn & doesn't have the entire pressure placed on him, especially with a poor forward pack. In a few years once I hope our pack improves, Sullivan will have the experience & further development to capitalise on a good forward pack.

If Amone doesn't improve his kicking game & defence then he might be bouncing around a few clubs. Teams have figured out his running game, at the moment he's a one trick pony.

saintmar

Juniors

Gus has one agenda only SULLIVAN
Piss Hunt off NOW bet you Gus won't sign Hunt

SGMax

Juniors
I recall Gould getting into Barretts head every SoO series, aggravating the situation with Choc over who would play 5/8... telling him to stick to his demands and not waste his opportunities (heard this from Barrett in interview).

I also suspect that he selected Blacklock into the SoO squad with no intention to play him, just to destabilise the Dragons' cap once the rep. upgrade kicked in.

Gus is an absolute grub and I wish I could wipe that smug look off his face.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
On NRL360 last night Riccio said that Hunt demanded No.7 from the new coach or he will move on. He is frustrated and does not want to play hooker. How true this is nobody knows.

Tallis made the best comment which was Who is the best No.9 in the NRL? It's Ben Hunt. If you have the best Hooker in the comp why can't you use him as hooker. Ben is the best No.7 at Saints but not the best No.7 in the comp. Hunt is the best hooker in the comp. Every time Ben has played hooker he has played well. Those comments are so true. Hunt has had some bad games/seasons at 7 which people seem to forget.

Then Riccio said about longevity.....Tallis beautifully stated "Cameron Smith played hooker till 37". Is it just me or hasn't Cam Smith been the most influential player in the last 20 or so years. I have never seen a player so dominant in the NRL and Origin like him and he was definitely worth 1mil with what he provided. Nothing wrong with being a hooker. He made the halves like Orford, Cronk etc look even better than they are.

Tallis basically said the coach has final say where you stand not the player. That one there was the comment that should have ended any debate. If a player demands he plays a role he is not a team player. I cannot see Hunt being that way to be honest but time will tell. If Hunt does leave because he wants to only play No.7 then so be it.

I have never liked Tallis as much as I do now after last night. Well said Bull. That's the difference between a journo who never played the game and a player who has. They should get rid of all journo's from these shows and have ex-players who actually talk sense not make up rubbish. Also get rid of Senior Managers from a club who like destabilising clubs. I feel Anasta is also enjoying himself with the Dragons drama. All his comments seem to be with a smile each time he lays a boot into the club.

They also made it sound like Flanno will play Hunt at 7 and Dean Young will play Hunt at 9 so Hunt's comments where to maybe persuade the board to go for Flanno. Somehow, I think Flanno will pick Hunt where it's best for the team, he does not seem to be a guy that lets players pick his team. Unless Flanno has plans for another hooker and have a Hunt/Sullivan halves combo and Amone to be gone. That would work as well.

Gould has sparked this and it looks like a rookie will have a lot to deal with straight of the bat with the Hunt scenario so they definitely need an experienced coach I feel. Gould will pounce and apply all sorts of pressures to destabilise the club. The writing on the wall may also indicate Hunt want's Flanno and not Young as HC.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Your right Twinkletoes. Hunt and Sully seem to be the best halves combo. Amone had his chance of close to 50 games. Give Sullivan the same opportunity now.

Liddle at hooker has also helped put the Hunt to No.9 on the back burner as Saints now have a genuine hooker there right now performing well.

dannyt

Coach
On NRL360 last night Riccio said that Hunt demanded No.7 from the new coach or he will move on. He is frustrated and does not want to play hooker. How true this is nobody knows.

Tallis made the best comment which was Who is the best No.9 in the NRL? It's Ben Hunt. If you have the best Hooker in the comp why can't you use him as hooker. Ben is the best No.7 at Saints but not the best No.7 in the comp. Hunt is the best hooker in the comp. Every time Ben has played hooker he has played well. Those comments are so true. Hunt has had some bad games/seasons at 7 which people seem to forget.

Then Riccio said about longevity.....Tallis beautifully stated "Cameron Smith played hooker till 37". Is it just me or hasn't Cam Smith been the most influential player in the last 20 or so years. I have never seen a player so dominant in the NRL and Origin like him and he was definitely worth 1mil with what he provided. Nothing wrong with being a hooker. He made the halves like Orford, Cronk etc look even better than they are.

Tallis basically said the coach has final say where you stand not the player. That one there was the comment that should have ended any debate. If a player demands he plays a role he is not a team player. I cannot see Hunt being that way to be honest but time will tell. If Hunt does leave because he wants to only play No.7 then so be it.

I have never liked Tallis as much as I do now after last night. Well said Bull. That's the difference between a journo who never played the game and a player who has. They should get rid of all journo's from these shows and have ex-players who actually talk sense not make up rubbish. Also get rid of Senior Managers from a club who like destabilising clubs. I feel Anasta is also enjoying himself with the Dragons drama. All his comments seem to be with a smile each time he lays a boot into the club.

They also made it sound like Flanno will play Hunt at 7 and Dean Young will play Hunt at 9 so Hunt's comments where to maybe persuade the board to go for Flanno. Somehow, I think Flanno will pick Hunt where it's best for the team, he does not seem to be a guy that lets players pick his team. Unless Flanno has plans for another hooker and have a Hunt/Sullivan halves combo and Amone to be gone. That would work as well.

Gould has sparked this and it looks like a rookie will have a lot to deal with straight of the bat with the Hunt scenario so they definitely need an experienced coach I feel. Gould will pounce and apply all sorts of pressures to destabilise the club. The writing on the wall may also indicate Hunt want's Flanno and not Young as HC.
Hmm. Tallis making sense. Well, I suppose a broken clock is correct twice a day.

BLM01

First Grade

Remember Anasta is a player manager too and could be looking for some new members

Inisai Toga

Juniors

Interesting comments by Tallis Slippery. Whilst appreciate the logic, I personally dont agree with the assessment at all! Hunt is a fine hooker at rep level playing a supporting role in Qld’s Harry Grant rotation model , but don’t believe for one minute he’s the best Hooker in the NRL, possibly number 5. Also, the comparison of Cameron Smith playing hooker till 37 is a bit week; totally different playing staff, coaching, structures, refereeing etc. As you point out in another post even he and others might struggle to show their best under our system…..
Couldn’t agree more however, with your comments of hearing ex- players opinions or even knowledge Rugby League people opinions …get rid of all the gossip rubbish….

True_Believer

Juniors
Also, the comparison of Cameron Smith playing hooker till 37 is a bit week; totally different playing staff, coaching, structures, refereeing etc.
Not to mention Hunt plays hooker 3 times a year whereas Smith was playing Hooker week in week out.

He's far from the best Hooker in the NRL based on 3 games a year - and as you point out, in a rotation with Grant, with the caliber of players that make up the QLD around him.

Hunt may not be the best half in the league but he's our best half, and it makes sense to keep him there to help guide or bring through Sullivan/Amone. Given the amount of work he does for the team week in week out, he's entitled to have a bad game every now and then. He can't carry the rest of the team on his back every week.