What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is Gus' agenda with Saints

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I cannot see how a senior official of a direct competitor can firstly try and get Saints best junior talent to join his club in the off season (break his contract mind you), then talk to our best player and get him to break a contract and leave to join his club (twice) and follow that up with telling one of the best rookie coaches who is about to sign with Saints not to join? As if Ryles, Bud and Hunt reached out to Gus and asked for his opinion. Seriously. Why can't Saints or in fact the NRL do something about this crap. He then criticised the Knights for sending 1 player mind you to Bali when a few of his Dogs players did the same thing. Why can't he just focus on his own club and not stick his nose in others? Everyone says how good he is yet he sacked Cleary and signed Hook to take over, only to get over ruled and the BOD spoke to Cleary to get him back after Gus's huge blunder. Panthers never looked back. He spent 5 mins at Warriors and anything good that comes out they try and link it to Gus.

Have you heard of any other senior official from a club try so hard to destabilise a club? Greg Alexander has a senior role at the Panthers and works at Fox Sports yet you never see him talking to other players from other clubs to break contracts or talk coaches out of joining. I have never see or read anywhere that Brandy gave "advice" to a player or coach of a rival.

How Saints can sit there and let this happen is beyond me.

Did Gus try out for Saints in his juniors and was told he was not good enough and has beef with them since? God knows but whilst at Roosters I remember all he did was target Dragons players at each club he goes to. He got Barnhill and Gourley to join the the Roosters when he was there as a prime example.

Don't get me started on why the Dragons would let this guy near the joint and do a review. All they did was invite him to get dirt on the Dragons more than anything.

He keeps harping on how he loved going to the hill and cheering the red V but did he really? That is definitely a huge cover up. When has he ever done anything to help Saints or said anything positive apart from his junior days on the hill.

Wake up Saints and stand up to this goose. Show some backbone. You simply cannot have this guy go behind your backs and talk to your players or anyone who in on the verge of signing a contract. They should simply report this to the NRL. This behaviour would not be accepted in any other code only the NRL with a guy who simply thinks he is the Godfather of the NRL.

twinkletoes

Juniors
I cannot see how a senior official of a direct competitor can firstly try and get Saints best junior talent to join his club in the off season (break his contract mind you), then talk to our best player and get him to break a contract and leave to join his club (twice) and follow that up with telling one of the best rookie coaches who is about to sign with Saints not to join? As if Ryles, Bud and Hunt reached out to Gus and asked for his opinion. Seriously. Why can't Saints or in fact the NRL do something about this crap. He then criticised the Knights for sending 1 player mind you to Bali when a few of his Dogs players did the same thing. Why can't he just focus on his own club and not stick his nose in others? Everyone says how good he is yet he sacked Cleary and signed Hook to take over, only to get over ruled and the BOD spoke to Cleary to get him back after Gus's huge blunder. Panthers never looked back. He spent 5 mins at Warriors and anything good that comes out they try and link it to Gus.

Have you heard of any other senior official from a club try so hard to destabilise a club? Greg Alexander has a senior role at the Panthers and works at Fox Sports yet you never see him talking to other players from other clubs to break contracts or talk coaches out of joining. I have never see or read anywhere that Brandy gave "advice" to a player or coach of a rival.

Did Gus try out for Saints in his juniors and was told he was not good enough and has beef with them since? God knows but whilst at Roosters I remember all he did was target Dragons players at each club he goes to. He got Barnhill and Gourley to join the the Roosters when he was there as a prime example.

Don't get me started on why the Dragons would let this guy near the joint and do a review. All they did was invite him to get dirt on the Dragons more than anything.

He keeps harping on how he loved going to the hill and cheering the red V but did he really? That is definitely a huge cover up. When has he ever done anything to help Saints or said anything positive apart from his junior days on the hill.

Wake up Saints and stand up to this goose. Show some backbone. You simply cannot have this guy go behind your backs and talk to your players or anyone who in on the verge of signing a contract. They should simply report this to the NRL. This behaviour would not be accepted in any other code only the NRL with a guy who simply thinks he is the Godfather of the NRL.
Weak management...do you think Politis would just sit back and be f**ked up the ass??

Dragon David

First Grade

I've raised this in another thread. Why do people seek Gus's opinion? Does he get paid for what he tells them? Is it because he just has the gift of the gab and has the arrogance greater than anyone else? If he was only a broadcaster like he was alongside Rabbits Warren and been part of the Footy Show, whatever, that is fine and he can justly make comment on issues and even consult with the players if they have some doubts over some issues, but when he also runs the Bulldogs, I think that he should not be able to openly give his time or make any comment about other players, clubs particularly with what he might have told Ryles openly. Maybe behind closed doors and kept it quiet but not openly.

Gus is a shonky person who knows how to handle the media to benefit his own agenda.

HenryTatana

Juniors

And Andrew Walker.

Mojo

Bench
I've raised this in another thread. Why do people seek Gus's opinion? Does he get paid for what he tells them? Is it because he just has the gift of the gab and has the arrogance greater than anyone else? If he was only a broadcaster like he was alongside Rabbits Warren and been part of the Footy Show, whatever, that is fine and he can justly make comment on issues and even consult with the players if they have some doubts over some issues, but when he also runs the Bulldogs, I think that he should not be able to openly give his time or make any comment about other players, clubs particularly with what he might have told Ryles openly. Maybe behind closed doors and kept it quiet but not openly.

Gus is a shonky person who knows how to handle the media to benefit his own agenda.
He's a master of self-fulfilling prophecies. Obviously he and many other gullible people think he is clever - a Guru indeed - but what he actually does is broadcast an opinion without disclosing his inside knowledge or else, if he actually doesn't have inside info, he inserts himself into the scenario in order to make his prediction come to fruition. He is like a rugby league ponzi scheme operator.

TruSaint

Referee

I don't disagree with any of this, however dont doubt he would try this on any Club. He keeps talking about handshake deals, loyalty etc and the next minute will send his minions to try and derail anything that doesn't suit him.

Prior to all the reports saying that Ryles was a done deal, on 100% Footy, he emphatically said "Ryles WONT be coaching St George".

The other 3 stooges just stared at him without any real debate.

But we are forever indebted to the talking walrus after that "honest and independent review " he conducted at our Club a few years back. We all know what happened next.

As @twinkletoes implied......., shame on us.

Mojo

Bench
I don't disagree with any of this, however dont doubt he would try this on any Club. He keeps talking about handshake deals, loyalty etc and the next minute will send his minions to try and derail anything that doesn't suit him.

Prior to all the reports saying that Ryles was a done deal, on 100% Footy, he emphatically said "Ryles WONT be coaching St George".

The other 3 stooges just stared at him without any real debate.

But we are forever indebted to the talking walrus after that "honest and independent review " he conducted at our Club a few years back. We all know what happened next.

As @twinkletoes implied......., shame on us.
One of the others present also said 'you know something' to which he replied 'no, I dont have any information at all' .. which, seemingly, was simply untrue.

56to66

Juniors
Add Hooper and Crawley too the list of finding an opportunity to throw the boot into the Dragons, whenever possible, I don't undertand there agenda, I just hope somehow the Dragons can avoid the spoon, love to see some minor misery on there faces.

Latest posts