What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is our best forward pack ?

mobels

Juniors
Vaughan
McIness
Ah Mau
Thompson
Frizell
JDB

Packer
Sims
Leilua
Host/Masoe/Havilli

Packer is much better coming off the bench IMO, as seen as the start of the year. Masoe needs a stint in NSW Cup before coming back up into top grade as he hasn't played NRL in years and hadn't even played a game last year.

There's question marks over whether McIness can play the full 80, because if not Havilli has to take the final spot on the bench.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons giant Masoe ready to end NRL hiatus

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

29 Nov 2016, 5:30 p.m.
r0_77_4946_2858_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

PICTURE: Adam McLean

CALL it the longest preseason ever. At least that’s how more than a thousand days without NRL action has felt for Dragons giant Mose Masoe.

The 130-kilogram wrecking ball hasn’t played in the NRL since August 31 2013 when he played the last of his 63 NRL games for Penrith.

After two years with Super League club St Helens, Masoe’s first attempt at an NRL return this season was cruelled by an ACL tear just a week out from the Dragons first trial fixture.

Masoe said suffering the injury in an innocuous non-contact running drill so close to the beginning of the season was a tough pill to swallow.

“I was gutted, especially getting injured in the very last session before the trials,” Masoe said.

“It was a pretty dark time for me for a while there.I’d put so much hard work into the preseason to get ready for the NRL again and to go out like that, not even playing a game at all was pretty devastating.

“But now I’m back in the same position as when I first arrived and I’m getting excited again which is good.

“If anything the the desire’s just grown having another year out.

“By the time I get back it’s probably going to be a about a year and a half since I played. I’ve pretty much been away from the NRL for three years.

“It’s going to be good to come back just to try and prove to myself that I’m still good enough to play in the NRL.”

Complications from the initial surgery saw him go under the knife a second time, quashing any chance of an early return in 2016 and keeping him in the rehab group prior to Christmas.

“We tried to add on another little ligament to the side of my leg but my leg didn’t cope with it very well,” Masoe said.

“They were doing the best for me to try and make it more stable but in hindsight it probably set me back a couple of months and that’s why I missed the back end of last year.

“We’ve taken it out now and we’re back to preseason so it’s all good and I’m ready to rip in.

“There’s still a couple of little rehab things I’m doing but I think the medical staff are just taking it easy and being a bit cautious because I’m a bigger bloke. I’ve put on a bit of weight in the off-season and I think they’re just looking after me in that way.

“I’m still getting flogged in cardio but they’re looking after the older bodies now which is good. It’s exciting to be back amongst it and around the boys preparing for another season.”

After a number of seasons watching their under-sized pack get monstered at the hands of heavier NRL rivals, Dragons fans rejoiced when the club landed Masoe’s signature.

Should he make a successful return in 2017 he’ll add his considerable weight to pack that will also include the likes of Russell Packer, Leeson Ah Mau and new recruit Paul Vaughan – meaning the Dragons will be NRL pygmies no longer.

“We’ve got a big team and that’s going to be good for us,” Masoe said.

“Getting Vaughny in there as well is really going to help the team.

“When we play teams like the Bulldogs who are all over 100 kilos it’s going to be good for us as a team to have those bigger guys.

“We’ll be pushing each other hard at training and hopefully we can take that onto the field.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...-giant-masoe-ready-to-end-nrl-hiatus/?cs=3713

Gareth67

First Grade
So pleased to see that not only has he recovered from his injuries , but also that he is enthusiastic about the making the grade . As he said , he has been out of the game for quite some time , but will make up for lost time by putting his best foot forward .

I know that I have said it before , however with the increase in size , our pack will be able to hold them own against other teams , thus giving our backs every chance to shine .

When fully match fit , he should be able to make a few holes in the defence and with some quicker players trailing behind , hopefully try-scoring opportunities should result .

It will be great to see him coming of the bench for the first time , wearing the Big Red V .

Last edited:

Turk

Juniors
Packer Mcinnes Sims Thompson Frizell De belin Masoe Vaughan Leilua Ah mau or Havili/Mcrone (depending on how Mcinnes goes).

Dragon Revival

Juniors
I think Host is ahead of Ah Mau who is robotic and plays one out. Host is also ahead of Leilua in application, defence and fitness. Leilua is a better ball distributor and I would rate them equal in attack. I also believe that on last year's form Host is better than Thompson whose form is erratic.
In some games Thompson goes missing, he is prone to be undisciplined and every half-a-dozen games he does something
special in attack and you think why doesn't he do that more often as when he applies himself he has a good running game. Down the track I think the pack will be as follows:-
Vaughan
McInnes
Packer
Sims
Host
Frizell
Bench
Leilua
Masoe
Kerr
Havili
The effectivess of Ah Mau, De Belin and Thompson is marginal and they will need to play 25% better to be in a regular position for the pack barring injuries.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
IMO, Mose needs to play 3 or 4 (or more) games in the Cutters before even being given a 1st grade spot.
You have to remember that he hasn't played in the NRL for nearly 4 years (as at 2017) and didn't play at all last year. Add to that he has been put back to train with the rehab squad. To assume he would just walk up into 1st grade would be very risky IMO. He would have to prove his match fitness and has overcome his knee 100% before I would have him in the 1st grade team.

Both LAM and Packer have had off-season surgeries, but I feel are more seasoned at this stage and above Mose and young Host is one of the most promising forwards in the NRL (again IMO) and must be in the 1st grade squad. We also have young Sele, who shows a lot of ability and should be given an opportunity in 1st grade at some stage in 2017.

You can't include everyone, unfortunately, but I really do hope Mose does come good as he would be a very powerful asset off the bench.

Dragsters

First Grade
IMO, Mose needs to play 3 or 4 (or more) games in the Cutters before even being given a 1st grade spot.
You have to remember that he hasn't played in the NRL for nearly 4 years (as at 2017) and didn't play at all last year. Add to that he has been put back to train with the rehab squad. To assume he would just walk up into 1st grade would be very risky IMO. He would have to prove his match fitness and has overcome his knee 100% before I would have him in the 1st grade team.

Both LAM and Packer have had off-season surgeries, but I feel are more seasoned at this stage and above Mose and young Host is one of the most promising forwards in the NRL (again IMO) and must be in the 1st grade squad. We also have young Sele, who shows a lot of ability and should be given an opportunity in 1st grade at some stage in 2017.

You can't include everyone, unfortunately, but I really do hope Mose does come good as he would be a very powerful asset off the bench.

To be fair, the thread does ask what our best pack is not the round 1 pack.

Not sure anyone is expecting mose to be at his best for round 1.

Morotti

Juniors
Surprises me that many have Masoe in their first team. He hasn't played NRL since 2013 and sat out the whole of 2016. He is also admittedly about 10 kilos overweight which isn't a great start when you get back to pre season. If I had my choice he would not be in my top 17 as we have good juniors coming through which I think should get preference.

Packer
McInnes
Vaughan
Frizell
Thompson
Sims

de Belin
Ah Mau
Host
Leilua

4th bench spot could also go to someone like Matt Dufty. If that was the case then it would be between Host and Leilua as to who got the bench and who went to the cutters.

I'd have Host and Sele ahead of Leilua.

Having watched all three Host and Sele may not have the attacking prowess of Leilua but they involve themselves more and tend not to fade in and out of games.

Sele made the transition to the Cutters easier then I expected and did the simple things well and I have to say has good footwork and is stonrger then you would think.

Host was a cut above most forwards in the NSW Cup and he just grew in confidence and when called upon for first grade didn't put a foot wrong. He is young guy you could build a forward pack around I see a very bright future for him and Sele also.

Leilua some of the things he did in the NYC was awesome other times he seemed to lose interest or focus and faded out then would come back with a bang and do something fantastic.

If he can get that consistency he could be as good as Kasiano and just as damaging.

Dragsters

First Grade
I reckon host will fill the Ben Creagh void nicely and not necessarily positionally but more so the workload void.

Luc imo offers something that we don't have and haven't had for quite some time and desperately need and that's an x-factor ball playing forward.

In the 20s he played longer minutes than he would need to in the top grade. With
improved fitness and playing an impact role coming on around the 20 & 60 minute marks I reckon he could be a weapon and a must.

Simply he just offers something we don't have and could really use.

Last edited:

Belta

Juniors
Also a Host fan. Lets hope he is given plenty of opportunity to play first grade and is not left out due to our abundance of forwards. The same with Sele.

In regards to Masoe I don't think he will be as under done as most seem to think. He states he worked really hard last pre season and was injured just before round one. Although he was injured he states he had been doing plenty of cardio. He was considered towards the end of last season. He would not have the niggling injuries that many players coming into the off season carry. He is supposedly still to heavy, but that depends what they want, I think we need a couple of impact players who can be substituted when they tire.

The idea about the young forwards coming through that should be used ahead of Masoe is that they will get plenty of opportunities, Masoe has a lot of experience, played a lot of first grade, and would have gained more experience over seas, although there suggestions that the English league is a step down from nrl and that's a given, however I still feel he has gained further experience, and I'll make one final comment in regards to players out injured is that if they r quality players they come back after injury often without missing a beat, there has been countless nrl players who have been out for several months, play one or no first grade, get picked in Origin and play a starring role. Hopefully he is ready, hopefully himself, packer, Ah Mau, Vaughan are all ready and fired up in round 1, who I think is Penrith with a big pack themselves with the addition of Tamou

The trial games will also help to see where I the new signings and injured players are at

TomRedVRiver

Bench
I really like what Host brings to the team. He's bigger than you might think, however I don't think he's a prop. I feel like he's better off in the back row rotation for now until he puts on a little more muscle. He should be hitting the line hard on the edges, I can see him scoring a few tries off a short ball from Hutch or Widdop.

Latest posts