What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the format for NRLW 2019?

Vee

First Grade
Still just the four teams playing each other once or are there more teams/rounds?

siv

First Grade
24 rounds where everyone plays each other 8 times

Followed by a 3 round robin finals series and then a grand final

Tigers1986

Juniors
You'd think given the success of the inaugural season they'll want to expand the teams and season length. However, they have to be careful to not rush into it without the girls being ready and the markets being ready.

Western Sydney needs involvement in the league for sure (Canterbury as contenders there). You'd imaging Newcastle could also get a look in. Then you have Cronulla and Souths, pioneers of the women's game, looking to make inroads.

siv

First Grade
Guess it depends if you expand on where the players are or where the money is

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
From what I've heard around they won't be rushing into any kind of expansion quickly. First thing to do will be extend the season involving the current teams

Tigers1986

Juniors
Extending the season to home & away would be a start, allowing each team to have played 6 games before the grand final and gain a little more legitimacy. Awarding a Dally M medal off 3 games seemed rather trivial.

Timmah

Staff member
Extending the season to home & away would be a start, allowing each team to have played 6 games before the grand final and gain a little more legitimacy. Awarding a Dally M medal off 3 games seemed rather trivial.
Was it actually a Dally M for the three rounds with votes tallied? Or was it an overall women's POTY and taking into account Origin, Jillaroos and respective state premierships as well?

yakstorm

First Grade
Hopefully they do extend it in some way, it would be a shame to limit it to the same format again. As others have mentioned, changing it to a six round competition would significantly help with the playing standard by allowing the players to play longer together, plus would actually provide an opportunity for all teams to play at least one game at home.

I feel it makes more sense than trying to increase the Origin series to three games next year, which is also being discussed.

Billythekid

First Grade
Based on reports around the traps today, it'll be sticking to the same format in 2019, mostly to avoid any potential clashes with a 3 game Origin series and to allow a proper pre-season, and they'll revisit in 2020.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/10/02...ttie-urge-caution-in-rushing-the-womens-game/

Just once I’d like the see league leading the way and pushing forward. Can’t expand in the NRL, have to be cautious. Can’t expand the international calendar, might impact on the NRL too much. It feels like we’re always one step behind the opposition.

The AFL beat us to the punch with AFLW and are already expanding to 10 teams next year and 14 teams in 2020. Not only are they ahead but they actually have a plan in place.

I know you’re going to jump on me for being negative but f**k just for once I’d like to see league be aggressive and on the front foot.

Tigers1986

Juniors
Was it actually a Dally M for the three rounds with votes tallied? Or was it an overall women's POTY and taking into account Origin, Jillaroos and respective state premierships as well?

Based on the footage they showed it was for the WNRL games. Origin and Jillaroos had no bearing on the award.

Timmah

Staff member
Just once I’d like the see league leading the way and pushing forward. Can’t expand in the NRL, have to be cautious. Can’t expand the international calendar, might impact on the NRL too much. It feels like we’re always one step behind the opposition.

The AFL beat us to the punch with AFLW and are already expanding to 10 teams next year and 14 teams in 2020. Not only are they ahead but they actually have a plan in place.

I know you’re going to jump on me for being negative but f**k just for once I’d like to see league be aggressive and on the front foot.
Whether the AFL 'beat us to the punch' is fairly subjective I'd say. There's an argument they're expanding too quickly and there's been widespread unrest among the AFL community as to whether the expansion they're doing - coupled with the proposed season structure - is actually a good thing.

Painting the other code as a paragon of virtue and how we should be modelling things isn't right. While I'd prefer to see expansion, having read that article, I can understand the hesitation.
Based on the footage they showed it was for the WNRL games. Origin and Jillaroos had no bearing on the award.
Sorry to be a pedant but it's NRLW - usually WNRL and such prefixes are for Wheelchair sports

Valheru

Coach
I think 4 teams is worth sticking with for another year but I can't see any good reason to not having a full 6 round season so they play each other twice.

Origin 3 is generally around the round 18 mark so that still gives them 4 weeks pre-season for a 6 week comp or they could play game 1 on the rep weekend like they did this year and wrap the series up by men's SOO 2 (round 15ish) and allow a few more weeks pre-season training.

Big Salad

Juniors
I got the impression many took time off from their regular jobs for the 4 weeks of competition, which might be one reason for them not wanting to extend it until extra funding/sponsorship becomes available?

kbw

Bench
I am hearing same 4 teams and its 6 rounds plus GF (play each other twice)

the biggest hurdle is fitting it in with the NSW and QLD comps with least disruption as possible.

Yes the Dally Ms were based only on the 4 weeks of the NRL comp

Tigers1986

Juniors
With a year of growth, there's no reason why it can't expand in length to 6 games plus a final. It's a delicate process as you don't want to rush it or oversaturate the market. Consolidate the state leagues first, then promote teams from that setup to reduce the need for girls to travel and be away from home for so long.

Quicksilver

Bench
I think 4 teams is worth sticking with for another year but I can't see any good reason to not having a full 6 round season so they play each other twice.

Origin 3 is generally around the round 18 mark so that still gives them 4 weeks pre-season for a 6 week comp or they could play game 1 on the rep weekend like they did this year and wrap the series up by men's SOO 2 (round 15ish) and allow a few more weeks pre-season training.

As an Easts fan of course you do. You want to pad your premiership count before it gets serious.