What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the Warriors biggest problem?

What is the Warriors biggest problem?

• Centres who make errors and can't tackle

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • Forwards who don't bend the line

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Poor selections by coach

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Inexperience in the halves

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • A winger who should be a forward

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Our Hooker rotation (including Jazz)

• Lazy errors and stupid penalties

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • No X Factor coming off the bench

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Mental toughness

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Fitness

• Total voters

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Why the "coming home". Some of our best recruits have been Australians.
Surely we are grown up enough to be able to buy the best.

We’re always behind the 8 ball with recruiting gun Aussies though. Obviously there are some exceptions but generally the kind of guys that are the top prospects just don’t see Auckland as an attractive destination compared to the alternatives. It’s seen as cold, wet, boring compared to Syd/Mel/Bris/GC and far away from home & family.

Matua

Bench
Why the "coming home". Some of our best recruits have been Australians.
Surely we are grown up enough to be able to buy the best.
If we're just another Aussie franchise then there really is no reason for the Warriors to exist. We should always be looking at a majority Kiwi side with the odd few Aussies thrown in. What we need to be looking at is the players who slip through the net.

TBH, we need to win a comp so that young NZers want to play for the Warriors first.

Rich102

Staff member
Chicken and the egg Matua.
Our boys don't get the intense coaching from a young age required by elite players.
Playing alongside elite overseas players they get to improve their skills. (As opposed to having to go overseas to improve - as many Warriors have done).
So bringing the best here is a wise investment in the future.
Yes, perhaps an all Kiwi Warrior side is a goal for the future but at the moment I would settle for a mixed nations team of winners. Plus the more Kiwis in the Warriors the more players we lose at Test time; which sets us back further.
This year has again shown the reality of where we stand. Gradual improvement should be the target, not what we are getting served at the moment - players coming home to retire early.

As a footnote - the egg came first.

LeagueNut

First Grade
No accountability.
Culture of total mediocrity. No desire to push on past simply making the team.
No clear leadership or direction from above.
Stupid game strategies that might work one in every six or seven weeks.

We've shown up this year looking like we've expected to perform at the same level as last year and magically get better results. But we're nowhere the same level as last year. And even if we were, it's not enough - we need to be getting better each week, each year.

We're in a terrible position for recruitment. Any marquee players will be watching RTS try his arse off every week with zero support. We end up having to pay huge overs for players who come over here and promptly lower their standards to fit in with the rest of the team. The rest of our recruits are Kiwis coming home for a cushy payday (because they know our standards are nowhere as high as the clubs they've come from) or journeymen seeking a second chance who weren't good enough for a better club so of course they'll fit right in with us.

We have no mental toughness whatsoever. As soon as the opposition do something even slightly different to what we expect or have planned for we have no Plan B. We have no idea what to do and it shows.

The club treats their members in the same "we've got our money from you so who cares" way as the players treat the club. Their priorities are in completely the wrong place. Instead of worrying about stupid double-headers with Super Rugby sides, or whinging about not having the Anzac Day game in New Zealand, or trying to figure out how many more games you can take away from Mt Smart in the regular season, how about you focus on actually having a team that people can be proud of.

The media have given up asking tough questions because nobody cares anymore.

I think that covers it?

Diesel

Referee
I used to get pissed when they lost, Now I’m just disappointed. Thank f**k it’s a long weekend and I don’t go back to work til the team is getting ready for the game AFTER the Storm, whoever that is.

Diesel

Referee
No accountability.
Culture of total mediocrity. No desire to push on past simply making the team.
No clear leadership or direction from above.
Stupid game strategies that might work one in every six or seven weeks.

We've shown up this year looking like we've expected to perform at the same level as last year and magically get better results. But we're nowhere the same level as last year. And even if we were, it's not enough - we need to be getting better each week, each year.

We're in a terrible position for recruitment. Any marquee players will be watching RTS try his arse off every week with zero support. We end up having to pay huge overs for players who come over here and promptly lower their standards to fit in with the rest of the team. The rest of our recruits are Kiwis coming home for a cushy payday (because they know our standards are nowhere as high as the clubs they've come from) or journeymen seeking a second chance who weren't good enough for a better club so of course they'll fit right in with us.

We have no mental toughness whatsoever. As soon as the opposition do something even slightly different to what we expect or have planned for we have no Plan B. We have no idea what to do and it shows.

The club treats their members in the same "we've got our money from you so who cares" way as the players treat the club. Their priorities are in completely the wrong place. Instead of worrying about stupid double-headers with Super Rugby sides, or whinging about not having the Anzac Day game in New Zealand, or trying to figure out how many more games you can take away from Mt Smart in the regular season, how about you focus on actually having a team that people can be proud of.

The media have given up asking tough questions because nobody cares anymore.

I think that covers it?
Good post, needs to go to reception@warriors.co.nz ATTN: George and cc memberships@warriors.kiwi (hit them where it hurts)

vvvrulz

Coach
All of the above Villa?

- Our centres are barely centres at all, so we've effectively excluded our backline from the game. Selections.
- I don't really get why our pack fails so miserably, I thought Ah Mau would change things
- Coach selections is our biggest problem of all
- CHT and Keighran have gone all right given the circumstances, I'm actually not worried once Green returns.
- Wingerforwards are the bane of this club's existence. Selections.
- Luke and Roache are our hookers, with Lawton for support. No Jazz. Again selections.
- Lazy errors most of the time comes down to Kata and Blair. Again selections.
- Useless bench...... selections
- Mental toughness, we haven't had this since 2012.
- Fitness, again I don't understand, we came into 2018 as fit as horses, but this year its crap again?

I don't like resorting to 'blame the coach', and I do believe Kearney actually brings some good in terms of promoting completions and low error counts. But he's an absolute knob when it comes to selecting and motivating a team, and we aren't going to win any silverware as long as he's around.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
All of the above Villa?

- Our centres are barely centres at all, so we've effectively excluded our backline from the game. Selections.
- I don't really get why our pack fails so miserably, I thought Ah Mau would change things
- CHT and Keighran have gone all right given the circumstances, I'm actually not worried once Green returns.
- Wingerforwards are the bane of this club's existence. Selections.
- Luke and Roache are our hookers, with Lawton for support. No Jazz. Again selections.
- Useless bench...... selections
- Mental toughness, we haven't had this since 2012.
- Fitness, again I don't understand, we came into 2018 as fit as horses, but this year its crap again?

I don't like resorting to 'blame the coach', and I do believe Kearney actually brings some good in terms of promoting completions and low error counts. But he's an absolute knob when it comes to selecting and motivating a team, and we aren't going to win any silverware as long as he's around.

I’m the same, not big on blame the coach etc, but there is too much form there from SK to ignore with the stuff he does. I just can’t have any confidence in him as an NRL coach, maybe it is to do with how he interviews or something as well, but there is never a vibe of a quality operater or motivator within him

I’ll compare his situation to my clubs, we had Barrett, absolute disaster, worst D in the league. Des comes back, no major squad additions to speak of, minus Tom T and Walker for pretty much the entire season so far and have the likes of Elliott, Parker and Garrick in the back 5, and all of a sudden the defence is rock solid again, the attitude is massively improved with players looking committed, and we are sitting in the 8.
He is the first to arrive every day, and the last to leave every day. Players have been given iPads and he sends them homework on their upcoming matchups on there, interviewed last sunday after beating Newcastle, had already watched the video twice and after the interview was going back to watch the game from Eagle Cam

It’s that sort of stuff and attention to detail I just don’t see Kearney having, I have no inside intel on that, it’s just the feeling I get viewing from afar, and when you are operating with a weaker squad than others, it is something that is vital

Last edited:

TheDMC

Bench
Yeah simply put, a great coach would turn our squad into a very good team. Average players would become good players, the good ones stars, and the dross would be sent into purgatory.

Big Marn

Juniors
Yeah simply put, a great coach would turn our squad into a very good team. Average players would become good players, the good ones stars, and the dross would be sent into purgatory.
trouble is Warriors cant get great coaches to come here. Just ones that are desperate for a gig.

Rich102

Staff member
I think what has held us back is we want to get a coach on the cheap.
Good coaches cost money - but it is money well spent.
I don't think you can win a Grand Final on the cheap.

I feel the club never seems to learn.
We keep repeating the same mistakes.
Its seems the moto is "it's different this time"

Signing coaches quickly when no pressure.
Firing coaches with no obvious replacement.
Signing past their best players on overs.
Inability to identify and develop talent.
The list goes on.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
giphy.gif

guten_targ

Juniors
Might surprise you to note that Blair has a higher efficiency rate than we all thought around 91% although i don't take those stats for what they state. I do however believe kata's stats seeing as those are blatantly displayed on telly, its plain as frackin day, I just hate watching a replay 4 times and seeing it run out in slow motion, but surprisingly his efficiency is mid 80's so why the hell can we all say with certainty that he has let in 6 tries this season....okay off to sulk now

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Might surprise you to note that Blair has a higher efficiency rate than we all thought around 91% although i don't take those stats for what they state. I do however believe kata's stats seeing as those are blatantly displayed on telly, its plain as frackin day, I just hate watching a replay 4 times and seeing it run out in slow motion, but surprisingly his efficiency is mid 80's so why the hell can we all say with certainty that he has let in 6 tries this season....okay off to sulk now

Mannering used to have a tackling efficiency of over 97%. Now that was impressive.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Mannering used to have a tackling efficiency of over 97%. Now that was impressive.
Very.

That could be one of the reasons why he retired. It might've took a toll on him. Or he got sick of thinking 'f**k man' everytime he had to cover someone in defence.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Very.

That could be one of the reasons why he retired. It might've took a toll on him. Or he got sick of thinking 'f**k man' everytime he had to cover someone in defence.

Probably a bit of both I’d say. He said his body was starting to feel shot at training in his last season and he wasn’t enjoying it and Simon wasn’t the kind of guy to play unless he could give 110%.