What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What laptop should I get?

bluenwhite

Juniors
i'm currently looking to get a laptop. any brand except dell (i've already had a look at all the dell's)

what i'm looking for:

- 14" screen or under (15" will be alright but nothing larger)
- 1.7ghz or higher with a centrino, pentium M or pentium 4 processor. (no celeron please)
- atleast 20GB hard drive
- atleast 256mb memory

looking to spend between $1000 and $1500, maybe more.

thanks for all your help.

Eelementary

Post Whore
What's yout intentions of use (primary intentions) - gaming, Internet surfing, word processing, a combination of all?

I find the Sony laptops are quite good (I used to have a VAIO before I got my Inspiron 6000).

bluenwhite

Juniors
Eelementary said:
What's yout intentions of use (primary intentions) - gaming, Internet surfing, word processing, a combination of all?

I find the Sony laptops are quite good (I used to have a VAIO before I got my Inspiron 6000).
just internet and word processing. no gaming.

and yeah, sony looks good, but damn expensive.

Caged Panther

First Grade
I believe ASUS make some very good laptops. You may not of heard of them but they make Sony and also possibly apple's laptops.

bluenwhite

Juniors
thanks man. yeah i've been looking at asus, they look pretty good, i'm rating them along with acer.

Azkatro

First Grade
Mate I usually recommend people get a Dell. Their prices are good. Just jump on the website (probably dell.com.au), spec up your laptop and select a 3 year onsite warranty for a bit extra. If something goes wrong, they'll come out and fix it for you. Very good peace of mind IMO.

axie

Juniors
Nothing wrong with Dell laptops, in fact I rate them as among the best these days especially for the higher end systems like the M70 or even the D810.

To the OP, do you *really* need a laptop for the mobility? For the money your spending you won't be getting much in terms of quality or performance, if you can get away with it I'd stick with a desktop.

JJ

Immortal
If budget's not an issue, then Sony VAIOs are very cool - had one at work at one stage...

the top end Toshiba's are good too, you could trade your car in!!

At work now I have an IBM T series - it's ok too...

ok - I look closer and see budget is an issue - my suggestion is Toshiba, ASUS, or Dell - people have mixed opinions on Dell, I've only had Dell desktops and found them to be very reliable...

MIA

Juniors
I bought a Sony VGN-S48GP about 4 months ago. It is simply a stunning laptop especially considering its size. As already mentioned the downside is the price but at least I got 2 years interest free.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Rise Against said:
lol at dell

dont even touch that sh*te

agreed

used to have a Dell but never again

crap and sh*tty tech support in some backward country that can hardly speak english

Toshiba seem OK

MrSharky

Juniors
I have a Sony VAIO VGNTX17GPW and I think it's an outstanding system, and IMO it's easily the best looking one on the market.

It's ultra-portable as it has an 11.1" widescreen LCD screen.

It also has some great specs, including:-

- PIV 1.2 GHz (Intel Centrino)
- 512 MB RAM
- Built-in Bluetooth
- Built-in Wireless Lan
- DVD-RW
- Some excellent OEM software (if your into multimedia and stuff like that)

It is a bit expensive though...

icon6.gif

bluenwhite

Juniors
i've already decided on a laptop, i should have mentioned it when i noticed this thread getting more replies.

Sony Vaio VGN-B100GP
14.1", 1.7gHz centrino.

JJ

Immortal
bluenwhite said:
i've already decided on a laptop, i should have mentioned it when i noticed this thread getting more replies.

Sony Vaio VGN-B100GP
14.1", 1.7gHz centrino.

nice choice

ali

Bench
Bump. Just been looking at Laptops here in London and I like the look of the Sony Vaio VGN FZ11L. Any more recent thoughts on the Sony laptops? Looks like I was heading towards a decent choice going by the comments above.

I am pretty happy with what it comes with but wondered if there is any other good alternatives. I have also heard decent reports of Acer laptops.

http://vaio.sony.co.uk/view/ShowPro...11L&site=voe_en_GB_cons&category=VN+FZ+Series

Furthermore I have had a few look at online sights outside of the UK (such as Ebay), and can't seem to find it. Can anyone recommend a cheaper away of buying it other than in the UK online or at a store.

Furthermore, I am wondering if I should have Microsoft Office included, or try and find a way to downlaod a free version off the net. What's everyones thoughts on this?

St. Brett

Juniors
Don't I repeat don't buy an IBM think Pad.

Those things suck that much juice it kind of blew up my adaptor box power cord plug.
There's a bit of a short in my mine and overheats after 10mins.