What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What NSW need for Game III

Tweed Titan

Bench
I'm sure the 18th time will be the charm and Mitchy boy will finally take home MOTM in a game winning display.

Does it sound plausible? Nah

Knightmare

Coach
It tells you a lot about the current stocks of the NSW team when the most heavily criticised players after Wednesday night were:

a) Probably the best NSW player since Buderus retired
b) A player who's proved their ability at Origin level before
c) A player who has scored two tries in as many games so far

Qld need to improve a lot more than NSW do in order to win Game 3. You could argue that they'll rise to the occasion and to the pressure, but surely they've already had enough of those reasons (and proven players in their team) in Games 1 and 2. And so far all we've seen is a team who didn't look remotely like a chance until NSW (with some influence by the officials) let them into the contest.

For NSW, all they need to do is make sure they don't shut up shop- they keep the intensity and "go-forward" direction all game- and to focus on being disciplined and not forcing desperate passes that don't need to be thrown, or going for the strip when Qld are taking hit-ups from deep inside their own half.

Provided they do both of these things? I could see NSW putting a gap on Qld in the last 20 minutes as their forwards begin to wear down. Fifita and Hayne are both aware they're due big performances, and I don't see the rest of the team making the same mistake they did in the last 20 minutes of Game 2. I just hope the NRL haven't already decided that JT and Cronk are going out as winners and have told the match officials to follow the script. Considering the rub of the green Qld have got time and time again over the past decade, I wouldn't put it past them...

Last edited:

THE CHAMP

First Grade
It tells you a lot about the current stocks of the NSW team when the most heavily criticised players after Wednesday night were:

Qld need to improve a lot more than NSW do in order to win Game 3. You could argue that they'll rise to the occasion and to the pressure, but surely they've already had enough of those reasons (and proven players in their team) in Games 1 and 2. And so far all we've seen is a team who didn't look remotely like a chance until NSW (with some influence by the officials) let them into the contest.

For NSW, all they need to do is make sure they don't shut up shop- they keep the intensity and "go-forward" direction all game- and to focus on being disciplined and not forcing desperate passes that don't need to be thrown, or going for the strip when Qld are taking hit-ups from deep inside their own half.

Provided they do both of these things? I could see NSW putting a gap on Qld in the last 20 minutes as their forwards begin to wear down. Fifita and Hayne are both aware they're due big performances, and I don't see the rest of the team making the same mistake they did in the last 20 minutes of Game 2. I just hope the NRL haven't already decided that JT and Cronk are going out as winners and have told the match officials to follow the script. Considering the rub of the green Qld have got time and time again over the past decade, I wouldn't put it past them...

TheFrog

Coach
Ikin, Kent and Co before Origin 2: This is the game the new mature Michell Pearce will finally stand up.

Ikin, Kent and Co after Origin 2: Those criticising Pearce need to understand that he was up against the greatest halves pairing the game has seen.

big hit!

Bench
Ikin, Kent and Co before Origin 2: This is the game the new mature Michell Pearce will finally stand up.

Ikin, Kent and Co after Origin 2: Those criticising Pearce need to understand that he was up against the greatest halves pairing the game has seen.

if your job is giving opinions, you get good and trying to qualify those opinions when the original one slaps you back in the face

Tweed Titan

Bench

It seems like they want to have their cake and eat it too.

davi

Juniors
What's gone largely unnoticed is Jack Bird game time in game 2 = 19:00 minutes.

There is no point having someone of Birds capability on the bench if he does not get game time. Queensland has used Michael Morgan a lot more effectively from utility then NSW has with Bird.

simmo05

Bench
If qld look likely, throw on a cattledog. See how many players can get binned, see if the nrl and refs have the stones to apply their own rules and make it 8 vs 8. Now that would be a spectacle!

That was on the money.

Not.

Knightmare

Coach
The part where I said NSW need to keep the intensity, go-forward direction all game and a low error count?

The lack of these played a considerable part, especially when you consider after NSW score in the second half they looked like playing themselves back into the contest and Qld has only completed 2/6 sets since the break...and then Wade Graham does another f**king stupid 1 on 1 strip...

Knightmare

Coach
Yeeees....which was to defend a lead and try to run down the clock rather than score points....

When did they lead in Game 3?

What NSW did in the second half of Game 2 was play like shit score nothing and be beaten by QLD. They repeated that in the first half of Game 3. Thus they fulfilled what you said you couldn't see them doing.
The second half of Game 3 was more of the shit of the second half of Game 2 with the exception that NSW scored a single try. Again, they fulfilled what you said you couldn't see them doing.

So to recap:
Played like shit in the second half of Game 2.
Played like shit in the first half of Game 3
Played like shit in the second half of Game 3
You said you couldn't see them playing Game 3 like the second half of Game 2. How did you get it right again?