What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What should be the next team to join the NRL?

Which area should the NRL expand into in 2012

• Papua New Guinea

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Sunshine Coast

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Central Queensland

Votes: 11 9.9%
  • South East Queensland

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • Perth

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Central Coast

Votes: 41 36.9%
  • Wellington

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters

_Johnsy

Referee
I dont really want another QLD team. If its not broke don't fix it.... three strong QLD teams is good enough in my optinion.

Although there are a lot of fans in Brisbane that aren't Broncos fans, they already have their NRL team that they support. I can't see enough people just changing teams to a new club if another one was to be made in SEQ.

You could at least be honest, you dont want another club to have any real impact on the Broncs monopoly in a city of 2,000,000 people.

What happened to the adage that 'QLDérs support a QLD team, surely there would be enough support for a 2nd Brisbane side if there are as many non bronco fans in Brissy as you claim.

If the area is the games heartland as we often hear now, surely a city of 2,000,000 can support one more side, and the area has a total pop of 3.2 million. If you are telling me that SE-QLD cannot support a minimum of two more teams you are joking. Or get off the kill sydney teams for expansion brigade, as many QLDérs are currently on.

Last edited:

lockyrulz

Juniors
It's not a matter of whether it can support them, it's a matter of if they should.

Forum posters aren't killing Sydney clubs off, reality is.

_Johnsy

Referee
It's not a matter of whether it can support them, it's a matter of if they should.

But yet we have people like yourself advocating the number of sydney teams should be reduced because the city cannot support the current number. All based on the number of teams a population can support.

Yet when it comes to Brisbane you want to change the criteria to should the people of Brisbane support the second team.

Which way do you want it ? :roll: If SEQLD is the epicentre of RL as we constantly hear from QLDérs, then show us it is, have two teams in a city of 2 million plus, or is that asking too much from the RL mad city ?

KHunt

Juniors
You could at least be honest, you dont want another club to have any real impact on the Broncs monopoly in a city of 2,000,000 people.

What happened to the adage that 'QLDérs support a QLD team, surely there would be enough support for a 2nd Brisbane side if there are as many non bronco fans in Brissy as you claim.

If the area is the games heartland as we often hear now, surely a city of 2,000,000 can support one more side, and the area has a total pop of 3.2 million. If you are telling me that SE-QLD cannot support a minimum of two more teams you are joking. Or get off the kill sydney teams for expansion brigade, as many QLDérs are currently on.

:clap::clap::clap:

SE QLD has a 2.8 mil http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_East_Queensland

might as well add Tweed Heads, who would support Gold Coast. SEQLD will be 3million by 2013 no doubt. Gallop would be mental if a Brisbane and/or Sunshine Coast team is not brought in the in the next 15 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Brisbane_Institute#The_200_Kilometre_City

lockyrulz

Juniors
But yet we have people like yourself advocating the number of sydney teams should be reduced because the city cannot support the current number. All based on the number of teams a population can support.

Have a look at the clubs accounts and figures. They will tell you that Sydney can't support all its teams. All we are doing is commneting on it.

Yet when it comes to Brisbane you want to change the criteria to should the people of Brisbane support the second team.

Not really. What we don't want is Sydney mk 2 so we don't experience the exact same problems. There is certainly more scope for expansion now than previously, but in the midst of economic uncertainity, if it ain't broke why mess with it? I think there is potential for one more team in the south east, but not just yet.

Which way do you want it ? :roll: If SEQLD is the epicentre of RL as we constantly hear from QLDérs, then show us it is, have two teams in a city of 2 million plus, or is that asking too much from the RL mad city ?

What QLD's like Gould?

QLD has lots of teams in the South east. What it doesnt have is lots of NRL teams. In this sentence is the critical point you people keep missing.

QLD's success is made from this. A reasonably well supported competitive local comp of suburban clubs for the QRL, a cpl of excelling clubs for an NRL. Notice how well it works?

Binga

Juniors
I dont really want another QLD team. If its not broke don't fix it.... three strong QLD teams is good enough in my optinion.

Is it not broken because you are a broncos supporter and are afraid of the affect it might have on your team (both on and off field)??? If so i can understand that, but by not having a second Brisbane team all it is doing is holding back the game. Think of the additional revenue in sponsorship, TV rights etc that it would bring to the game....

Although there are a lot of fans in Brisbane that aren't Broncos fans, they already have their NRL team that they support. I can't see enough people just changing teams to a new club if another one was to be made in SEQ.

Don't agree, what about the titans?? You can't tell me that there supporters didnt have prexisting teams that they supported before the titans were formed. Since the Titans have entered the NRL they there average home crowd is 21,282.

In Brisbane you would probably be aware that there is alot of people who love the Broncos with a passion. But on the opposite side there is always a very large number of people who hate the broncos. If the Broncos can average 30,000 to games and a new Brisbane team can aveage 20,000 then isnt that better for the game to have 50,000 people watching live rugby league in brisbane compared with 30,000??

If it wasn't for Super League there would be a second Brisbane team playing now. In their first year the Crushers averaged home crowds of 21,029 and for the same year the broncos averaged 35,902, then super league came in and the broncos average dropped by 16,000 and the Crushers dropped to under 10,000. But today Brisbane could easily and should have two teams based out of it.

lockyrulz

Juniors
TBH the only problem I had with the crushers is that they spritually meant nothing. Aside from the 'I hate the broncos' what the hell did they mean, Sth east Qld? Brisbane are already in Sth east QLD...

If they bring a second team in I would like to see it predominatley associate itself either with Ipswich/Toowoomba, or Logan. That would be the best way of ensuring it long term support and a good basis for a rivalry with the broncos.

Loudstrat

Coach
These same dickheads that reckon Brisbane can't support a second team because it might hurt their 40k average want to kill Sydney clubs that average 13-14k, and want to bring in Adelaide that will struggle to support an 8K average.

These same dickheads that are too scared to have RL each week in their city want to steal the GF from a city that would have 4 games each week.

Some heartland, Brisbane :lol::lol:

lockyrulz

Juniors
LOL poor ole misery bee :lol:

Dickheads like Sydney people are the ones killing the Sydney clubs off, because you bell ends don't go to enough games.

You think it matters what any of us post here? Sydney clubs have been rationalising for years. The process will continue.

Knightmare

Coach
People in Qld go to the footy more? Rubbish! Not everyone living between Gympie and Tweed Heads supports the Broncos or the Titans. If you support ANY other side (and provided you don't fly interstate) you will see your team a maximum of.......wait for it.........TWO times a year! If you can only see your team play twice in a season, you will make a hell of a lot more effort to go and watch them play than if you lived in Sydney and knew that if you missed one home game, you could see the next within a fortnight.

If you DO support the Broncos or Titans and live in their heartlands, you will get to see your team play a total of 13 times a year, without going interstate. That's it. If you support, say, the Panthers and live in Sydney, you can see them play not just 12 times at Penrith Park, but another 8 times at 'away' venues in Sydney, maybe even 10 times if you make the trek to Newcastle or Canberra. Last time I checked the average wage isn't much different between Sydney and Brisbane. More games means less money Sydneysiders have to spend on Rugby League up-front.

This is why Brisbane sells out Origin quickly, because you can plan months in advance to have the money ready on the day. In Sydney, you might have 6 home games to go and see, not to mention away games or games not involving your team. Yes, that's right, people in Sydney will go and watch games not involving their team!

What would be interesting is to divide Brisbane's population with the average crowd for the Broncos, then divide Sydney's population with the combined total for Sydney clubs. That's the fair way to do it. I am betting there won't actually be as much difference as what some people will have you believe!

hellteam

First Grade
Okay firstly I'll admit it, a lot of the reason I don't want another team here is because of the success of the Broncos. But as someone else has said, I don't want the same thing to happen to Brisbane as has happened in Sydney.

TBH the only problem I had with the crushers is that they spritually meant nothing. Aside from the 'I hate the broncos' what the hell did they mean, Sth east Qld? Brisbane are already in Sth east QLD...

If they bring a second team in I would like to see it predominatley associate itself either with Ipswich/Toowoomba, or Logan. That would be the best way of ensuring it long term support and a good basis for a rivalry with the broncos.

This is what I mean... there are already people in Brisbane with their allegiances to teams. Whether it be the Broncos or a different NRL teams, theyre not going to just stop going for them to go for a second Brisbane team. Even if they were called Logan or Ipswich, they'd still be playing out of Suncorp, which means they would just be a second Brisbane team with no history which gives people no real reason to support them.

The Gold Coast worked because it was its own new team, in its own city, in its own stadium. I just can't think of many people that would drop their allegience to support a new Brisbane team.

nqcowboy87

Bench
for somebody who has a picture basically insulting my cherished home sate, knightmare makes a solid point

mongoose

Coach
What would be interesting is to divide Brisbane's population with the average crowd for the Broncos, then divide Sydney's population with the combined total for Sydney clubs. That's the fair way to do it. I am betting there won't actually be as much difference as what some people will have you believe!

The only way you can do that is by dividing the number of home fans at games. Sydney crowds would be made up of a higher proportion of away fans than most brisbane games.

t1tan

Juniors
Queensland genius. You had your chance to run a comp without Sydney clubs. Limped through an abysmal year and slunk back on your knees.

Go and launch a bid for an NRL side from Cooktown.
Im not from queensland you moron.
Keep taking your pills...

Latest posts