What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Simmo has to overcome to have a good rep debut

Frenzy.

Post Whore
1) He has never mastered wing play. It's doubtful the City centres will be as benevolent as Vagana in helping him out. He'd better recall everything in a hurry.

2) The City/Country game is usually a hog's game. Everyone is out for themselves. City have 3 halves playing all of whom will want to be the best. Centres find it hard to stand out. Wingers find it harder. They have to make their own opportunities and the most of the few others give them. Simmons nver showed that he can make his own opportunites as a winger.

3) His shyness and lack of assertiveness. He can't stand back and wait for it to happen. He can't be stood over.

Dread

Juniors
All true.

HOWEVER; he could also have a good rep debut if those nuffies parading as Country halves decide to target him. Won't give him much of a chance to NOT show what he's got if they're peppering him with bombs, grubbers, cut outs to his opposing winger etc. Of course, that gives him the opportunity to show his ability anyway. Whether he would cope with it is anyone's guess.

Inferno

Coach
hmm I never thought about that, but the logic is pretty much spot on.

I can see Simmo not doing that much, not f**king up and his lovers chant his sucess from the rooftop.

lol, after 2 years with us and not overcoming his shyness, I doubt he will do it here Frenz.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Usually high scoring matches.
Easy tries.
back up & score tries, he'll be the worlds best in the mornings paper.
Also alwyas 1 bad injury out of these matches.
Wonder whose turn it is.

Inferno

Coach
hahaha I just realised the best positive I'll get from this game.

We will get to see Simmo run around in colours others than Blue Black and White.

A man can dream can't he...

Since 73

First Grade
I find in rep games it's the wingers defensive qualities that are so often under the pump than their attacking abilities.
These games feature the comp's elite playmakers who are all lay claim to pretty effective attacking kicks to either wing and behind the line etc.

Simmons is going to find himself competing in the air to win the ball against blokes like Adam Macdougall and Amos Roberts. Tough work.
I remember Covell performing pretty impressively last year in cleaning up in his own in goal and Sterlo giving him a rap.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Dread said:
All true.

HOWEVER; he could also have a good rep debut if those nuffies parading as Country halves decide to target him. Won't give him much of a chance to NOT show what he's got if they're peppering him with bombs, grubbers, cut outs to his opposing winger etc. Of course, that gives him the opportunity to show his ability anyway. Whether he would cope with it is anyone's guess.

Well you see thing is I want him to have a good debut. Worst thing for the Sharks is for him to have a confidence breaker of a game when his confidence is just starting to rise.

Special K

Coach
I love bagging dim sim but I hope he kills it. He is slowly improving... slowly...

Beau Scott is now the holder of the spanner title... So I guess that is something Simmons can be proud of.

SharkWings

Juniors
Frenzy. said:
Well you see thing is I want him to have a good debut. Worst thing for the Sharks is for him to have a confidence breaker of a game when his confidence is just starting to rise.

I feel the same way..but...what Im really keen on seeing is Gallen coming off the bench and ripping in! He has waited a while for this op.....

fizman

Bench
I agree with all points made. I like the one about hogging the ball, never a truer word spoken. Simmo needs to get stuck in and believe in his ability.

millersnose

Post Whore
Frenzy. said:
1) He has never mastered wing play.

facts tell a different story

he was the top try scorer in the club last year in that position

It's doubtful the City centres will be as benevolent as Vagana in helping him out. He'd better recall everything in a hurry.

i refuse to beleive you are not aware all outside backs in every team communicate with each other

i can only conclude this is a barrel scrape for something to have a go at simmo about

2) The City/Country game is usually a hog's game. Everyone is out for themselves. City have 3 halves playing all of whom will want to be the best. Centres find it hard to stand out. Wingers find it harder. They have to make their own opportunities and the most of the few others give them. Simmons nver showed that he can make his own opportunites as a winger.

....except when he is the top try scorer in first grade in that position

3) His shyness and lack of assertiveness. He can't stand back and wait for it to happen. He can't be stood over.

his personality isnt that much different from ET upon his rep debuts

on the other side of the ledger a less structured and organised backline in his opposition in this game will provide opportunities if he gets some ball

Inferno

Coach
millersnose said:

And Shaun berrigan was the top try scorer last year for the Broncs despite not being in the top 2 centres. How many of simmo's tries came from nothing? In the majority he only had to fall over the line.

Unco worked twice as hard for his tries despite having less.

millersnose said:
i refuse to beleive you are not aware all outside backs in every team communicate with each other

i can only conclude this is a barrel scrape for something to have a go at simmo about

Of course they communicate, but I doubt they will steer him around as much as Vagana did.

millersnose

Post Whore
Inferno said:
And Shaun berrigan was the top try scorer last year for the Broncs despite not being in the top 2 centres. How many of simmo's tries came from nothing? In the majority he only had to fall over the line.

you are welcome to your opinion

but rewritting simmons history may convince the simmophobes here but not the rest of the league community

Unco worked twice as hard for his tries despite having less.

i would like to see this point qualified with some evidence.....

Of course they communicate, but I doubt they will steer him around as much as Vagana did.

watch first grade closely

all teams in the outside backs communicate heavily

if they dont they are toast

isnt that right frenzy....

Frenzy.

Post Whore
millersnose said:
you are welcome to your opinion

but rewritting simmons history may convince the simmophobes here but not the rest of the league community

watch first grade closely

all teams in the outside backs communicate heavily

if they dont they are toast

isnt that right frenzy....

It's correct, but the levels of communication are obviously going to differ between established combinations and combos which may include a rookie playing out of position. Also the type of communication changes with experience and longevity of combos. Simmons for 2 years has had 2 minders. Most of us have seen that, but some want that part of Simmons history repressed. There has been more finger pointing, talking, arm waving and physical pushing on the Shark right than you'd see at a fruiterers convention.

millersnose said:

No actually it's stats not facts. If you take the number of tries away you can't qualify that Simmons learnt wing play.

millersnose said:

Unlike you to twist words millers, you must really be in the mood for a "discussion" :lol:.

I didn't say they wouldn't communicate did I? I said "It's doubtful the City centres will be as benevolent as Vagana in helping him out."

Very different thing. There'll be a certain assumption that Simmons is in the team so he should know what he's doing. This is elite level now. They are also all out to impress and won't have the time to settle Homer into the game.

He's on his own now.

millersnose

Post Whore
Frenzy. said:
It's correct, but the levels of communication are obviously going to differ between established combinations and combos which may include a rookie playing out of position.

geez frenzy

if they arent communicating they are toast

go on...deny it

Also the type of communication changes with experience and longevity of combos.

i have only seen verbal and physical hand waving

what have i missed?

Simmons for 2 years has had 2 minders. Most of us have seen that, but some want that part of Simmons history repressed.

repressed?

i have seen simmons early years handled no differently from other rookie level players

There has been more finger pointing, talking, arm waving and physical pushing on the Shark right than you'd see at a fruiterers convention.

perhaps thats why we did so much better on that side than the left

No actually it's stats not facts. If you take the number of tries away you can't qualify that Simmons learnt wing play.

wtf?

i see

so if we subtract his tries then the stats are against him

lol...fair enough

ok i agree with that

Unlike you to twist words millers, you must really be in the mood for a "discussion" :lol:.

with you frenzy always

and in any case if we arent talking about communication what are we talking about?

I didn't say they wouldn't communicate did I? I said "It's doubtful the City centres will be as benevolent as Vagana in helping him out."

i thought it was obvious we are talking about communication

please enlighten me as to your point

Very different thing. There'll be a certain assumption that Simmons is in the team so he should know what he's doing.

and his record is good in that regard

This is elite level now. They are also all out to impress and won't have the time to settle Homer into the game.

true to an extent but that lack of cohesion and communication affects all players not just the ones you dont like

He's on his own now.

just like at fullback....

Frenzy.

Post Whore
millersnose said:
geez frenzy

if they arent communicating they are toast

go on...deny it

When I said correct, that meant I agreed.

millersnose said:
i have only seen verbal and physical hand waving

what have i missed?

Eye contact & body language would be the big 2 you have missed. Comes from a heightened understanding of each other over time.

millersnose said:
repressed?

i have seen simmons early years handled no differently from other rookie level players

You must only of been having a cursory glance then.

millersnose said:
perhaps thats why we did so much better on that side than the left

Perhaps we did better because that's where most of the play went - towards Vagana. Noddy's safe passing side.

millersnose said:
with you frenzy always

and in any case if we arent talking about communication what are we talking about?

i thought it was obvious we are talking about communication

please enlighten me as to your point

:)

Fair enough. The point is that he now moves to the next level of communication. That of Rep Player. He'll be expected to know more about wing play than he does and this expectation will mean those inside won't spoon feed him like has happened at the Sharks. He's far more likely to get a "where the fugg were you" than a "bad luck Homer, next time run this line, you'll be right, Uncles here with ya" type of conversation.

millersnose said:
and his record is good in that regard

IYO. I would like to see this point qualified with some evidence.....

millersnose said:
true to an extent but that lack of cohesion and communication affects all players not just the ones you dont like

That's true but the more experienced have better coping mechanisms and more off the cuff skills to get by.

I hope he goes well. I honestly do, it only benefits us for him to do so and I didn't start the thread to bag Homer anyway. Just to highlight the challenges is has.

millersnose said:
just like at fullback....

Yes, which he is learning without being the world beater people make him out to be.

Lets look at the benefit with Simmons playing for City no one has touched on, for a week, he will be under the guidance of Tim Sheens, he has shown how he can develop young players, given its only a week, but i'm sure Simmons should be able to get some positives out of it.

Inferno

Coach
millersnose said:

All the evidence is there my good friend, all you need to do is watch any of last years games.

One particular example is Covell's try against the stains, you ever seen Simmons score a try like that?

There was also Covell's tries against the roosters, a lot more body on the line than that.

From experience Simmo's tries tended to come from an overlap created by a half than any great skill on Simmo's behalf.