What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What the hell are Manly doing?

albi

Juniors
They start the season on fire, for the first time in a few years they look like definite top 4 finishers, then they shoot themselves in the foot:roll:

Their downfall all started during the Monaghan incident. If I was a Manly fan, i'd be calling for the head of the coach and senior managment, as they started the rot with their behaviour.

Mr Saab

Referee
manly were always pretenders..they started on fire, took alot of teams by suprise but then were badly exposed by the broncos some weeks back. After that performance i knew they were frauds for 2005.
Manly have not stuffed up in chasing orford...manly know that they need a halfback with spark and monas is not that player. He is solid, but will NEVER lead a team to a GF win. Much like Brett Finch

CC_Eagle

First Grade
The origin period hurt us. We lost BK for three games,Beaver for two and Watmough for one.

This period has also seen the side without our #1 prop Heckenberg,who was injured in round eight and was on the sidelines for six weeks, made his return against the Rabbits in round fourteen and became injured again and has been out ever since.

As well as Heckenberg we lost Leuluai,King,Williamson,Cleal to injuries/suspensions.

Not forgetting that Watmough has been on the sidelines since round sixteen.

For basically most of the season the side has had to plug vital forward holes with PL nuffies who simply aren't up to it.

I'm not blaming injuries for our form, but it doesn't help when the forward pack is changed week in week out. Especially with two of our top four forwards on the sideline.

Evergreen

Juniors
CC_Eagle said:
I'm not blaming injuries for our form

I am.

Every team who has suffered a bad run of injury this year has been affected. My team were shot in the foot by round 3 after losing our two key props, O'Hara and Weyman, for the rest of the year, not to mention other long term injuries/suspensions to key players like Smith, Woolford, Schifcofske, Graham....the list goes on.

The Dogs, Knights and Rabbits are other examples of teams that have been on the wrong end of injuries at crucial times of the year.

Injuries and mentality are the two defining factors in our game today.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I never really thought that Manly would stay in the top four,

They had a good run at the start of the year, then their true form kicked in

Briza

Juniors
Twizzle I have no doubt we'll be saying the same about Parramatta in 4-5 weeks.

Misty Bee

First Grade
What are Manly doing? The only thing they know how to. Spending their life buying players. That, and their recent trait of on-field failure.

Mr Saab

Referee
Misty Bee said:
What are Manly doing? The only thing they know how to. Spending their life buying players. That, and their recent trait of on-field failure.

the pot calling the kettle black!!
Parra have spent the past 10 yrs buying players!

To be honest, if you knew at the start of the year that Manly would be in the eight with 5 rounds to go you would think they have played above expectation. And they have, so manly fans should be relatively happy. However..

The capitulation recently must be due in part to the farcical management at the club regarding monaghan, orford, transfers etc etc. It can only have a negative impact on your squad, and their results since this all started back that up. To treat your first grade captain with the blatant contempt they have is disgraceful. Talk about cutting your own throat...

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
Briza said:
Twizzle I have no doubt we'll be saying the same about Parramatta in 4-5 weeks.

Agreed Briza. And when you look at the quality of the 2 sides on paper at the start of the year, you would have been appeared to be a fool to have tipped Manly anwhere near them.

Hurriflatch

Referee
To be honest Manly's depth was always an issue as put simply they had none.

There was also an over reliance on the back rowers they became as important to Manly as Johns is the the Knights or Jason Smith is with Canberra.

Had Manly been able to keep their top 17 on the field all year it might have been different but that was never going to happen

When players like Bryant, Cleal and Curtis are your best 2nd string players you've got massive problems, in all the top teams these players would be 3rd or 4th string players at best.

aussies1st

Staff member
Where is the mention of Tim smith importance to the Eels. ;-) But agree with you that Manly rely majorly on their backrow. When those 3 were going well so to were Manly.

Hurriflatch

Referee
aussies1st said:
Where is the mention of Tim smith importance to the Eels. ;-) But agree with you that Manly rely majorly on their backrow. When those 3 were going well so to were Manly.

Parra don't rely on Tim Smith

it's Matt Petersen

Petersen went down with injury in the Sharks game with Parra on the attack and looking likely to score v Canberra

Since then

8 pt loss to Canberra
6 pt loss to Knights

:lol:

Hurriflatch

Referee
JoeysChiropractor said:
And an all of this, where is Scott Donald?

In reggies along with Michael Witt, Daniel Heckenberg, Nathan Hollingsworth, Kane Cleal, Jim Curtis and Jeff Robson

Enjoying all those ex-Eels now Manly??

Latest posts