What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What the hell is going wrong with Manly???

Slackboy72

Coach
Dessie's credentials are pretty strong.
They have the "weakest QLD side" captain guiding them round the park.
Their roster may not be the best but it isn't weak.
Yes they lost AFB but it's not like they are getting torn apart up the middle.
Tommy Turbo cannot be the difference between this side getting pumped by 40 points and a competitive showing.

So what the hell is going on?

Gmac

Juniors
Lot's of plod in the second row mixed with probably the worst 1-5 (no turbo) in the comp. No hooker etc. Going to be a long year. My only hope is that the dogs/ Brisbane will keep us from the spoon.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Dessie's credentials are pretty strong.
They have the "weakest QLD side" captain guiding them round the park.
Their roster may not be the best but it isn't weak.
Yes they lost AFB but it's not like they are getting torn apart up the middle.
Tommy Turbo cannot be the difference between this side getting pumped by 40 points and a competitive showing.

So what the hell is going on?

No money left after spending too much on Dce and the turbos.

The_Frog

First Grade
Ended up with 81% completions after being poor in that regard in the first 20. They just came up against a better side, simple as that. A lot of missed tackles when under pressure in the first and last 20s. Their right side is brittle close to the line. They'll be competitive against bottom 8 sides with Tommy back. They had close to an even share of the ball so it could have been much worse, already their worst ever defeat at Brookvale.

Slackboy72

Coach
Ended up with 81% completions after being poor in that regard in the first 20. They just came up against a better side, simple as that. A lot of missed tackles when under pressure in the first and last 20s. Their right side is brittle close to the line. They'll be competitive against bottom 8 sides with Tommy back. They had close to an even share of the ball so it could have been much worse, already their worst ever defeat at Brookvale.
Dragons are a bottom 8 side. They were smashed by them too.
The closest they've been to competitive is facing the bunnies in the rain.

mave

Coach
The coach is stuck in 2008, and has a penchant for playing players out of position, inexplicably weakening numerous spots at the same time.

The halfback is taking up way too much of the cap, and has a long neck.

The fullback is incapable of playing any more than a handful of games in a row.

The hooker is facing serious charges in court, and has just been re-signed, despite not being available, and looking at jail time....and we have just signed another hooker, as his replacement, who is also unavailble for the majority of the year.

The 5/8 is held together with duct tape, and is also from the 2008 era, thus his signing ( see point 1).

We are the slowest team in the comp, by a fair margin.

Our wingers are slow, easily rag-dolled and ineffective at all aspects of the game.

Our centres are slow, one tries too hard, and f**ks up a lot.
The other likes KFC too much, and can't tackle.

Jake T has become Aiden Tolman, except he has a 900k price tag.

Marty T wants out, and we should let him go asap, and save some of his overinflated salary.

I've probably missed a few, but you get the gist.

Des and Barrett have swapped seats in the NRL musical chairs, but who’s really better off. It’s hard to see upside in either of those two clubs in the foreseeable future.

For all the attention on Manly right now, the dogs I feel are in a far worse position. And have been for far longer.

When manly get TT and Tafua back that’ll help immensely. It won’t necessarily turn the ship completely around but they are two mainstays in the backline that any club would suffer from losing. They’re missing Sironen badly too IMO.

Against us last week, I genuinely thought they made yards easier but just had soap on their hands which killed them.

As for the dogs, I dunno who they are missing from their regulars that can make a difference. Yep the botched salary cap is still having an impact but FFS that was years ago. I dunno how Barrett can get any more out of them than Dean Pay... sure he’ll get Burton next year but for now.... two duck eggs in a row for the first time in club history... that’s nasty stuff.

The Great Dane

First Grade
They're broke, they've poorly managed their cap, their stadium should be condemned, etc, etc. The real question is what isn't wrong with Manly.

Seriously though, IMO, considering their circumstances they've over achieved for years and in the last couple years they've started to fall back down to earth.

Chimp

Bench
Lots of money tied up in a few players, a couple (Tapau and Jake T) that I think the game has left behind - in the current version of the game, you need to be huge and fast, or, agile, strong and quick over and off of the ground. Jake and Marty are not the prototype for the current version of the game, but will be amongst the highest paid forwards in the game.
Other than their top earners, the rest of their squad is rank.