What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What the hell is lawrence doing out there?

Bench
Lui definately has to do more defensively next week. Either hide on the wing in defense or put on the head gear and do what Alan Tongue does.
You are right,Lui had a hand in just about all 8 tries,his missed tackles,and the one where he just stood there and watched a Raider off load on the line for a try,he seems disinterested at times.

Anybody who doubts Lui's defensive capabilities should watch the Parra v Tigers game again. Clearly, he can defend, but the problem is his attitude. His arm-grabbing and misreads in defence are the result of laziness as much as immaturity. In contrast to Scott Prince who has always been soft in defence, Lui has shown enough in his first few seasons to suggest that he MAY one day become a good defender.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lui was woeful in the first half in almost everything he did.

He isn't very big in size, he should always make his first contact low, Just look at how easily Harrison swatted him aside when Lui tried to stand toe to toe with him and tackle him front on.

His passing game is so very very average. On a number of occasions his long passes were high looping passes which kills your attack because it allows the defence to get just that extra step closer.

There were a lot of passes last night which were at head height, so the receiver had to stop, catch and then run, killing all momentum.

Also, why won't Payten stand back a little deeper when running onto a ball, last night he was hitting it up off about 4 steps and making bugger all impact.

Good to get a win, and I guess it's good to see that there's plenty of room for improvement, which we'll need to do.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Yeah, Lui's defence was atrocious last night. He was the weak link. He needs to fix up his tackling. Also he needs to realise that when you get a reputation as a poor tackler then they're going to run at you all game, giving you even more work to do. And yeah he did throw some awful looping passes last night that slowed the movements down. I suppose he's the best option at the moment but he should know that if he doesn't get it together they'll have more options at half next year.

N.C.

Juniors
Lui was woeful in the first half in almost everything he did.

He isn't very big in size, he should always make his first contact low, Just look at how easily Harrison swatted him aside when Lui tried to stand toe to toe with him and tackle him front on.

His passing game is so very very average. On a number of occasions his long passes were high looping passes which kills your attack because it allows the defence to get just that extra step closer.

There were a lot of passes last night which were at head height, so the receiver had to stop, catch and then run, killing all momentum.

Also, why won't Payten stand back a little deeper when running onto a ball, last night he was hitting it up off about 4 steps and making bugger all impact.

Good to get a win, and I guess it's good to see that there's plenty of room for improvement, which we'll need to do.

All our pigs do it. When you run in at fill tilt from five miles back you leave yourself open to a big hit or a one-on-one around the legs - which will stop you cold when you are built like Payten, Gibbs, Heighinton, Ellis, etc...

super_coach

First Grade
Payten runs are all about short charges with lighting play the balls. Its all about the next play. He is not their to smash holes in the wall more to create the time and space for farah and Marshall to weave their magic

westie

Bench
He was up against Harrison on fire. Not many players would have been able to stop him last night.

super_coach

First Grade
As for Lui, it was never Sheens intention to have him playing starting no7 for most of the season. He was going to be nursed along between the u20s and the top grade. The injury to Moltzen changed all that and yes he has defensive issues but he also has skill. With plenty of work with Folkes he will develop into a good defensive player but it will take time.

Lets face how long did it take Benji to be semi reliable in defense. Give the kid a break he could end up a top shelve around player in a few years.

ucantseeme

Juniors
Couple of the Raiders tries were really soft. Harrison strolls past Lote & Lawrence to put Monaghan over and where he crashes over himself.

Next week, when Gaz gets the ball I want 3 or more defenders on him.

Reek_Havoc

Juniors
Anyone complaining about Lui's defence last night have some serious issues. I agree with Tiger Hawk. There were times where he had to make some one on one's on some big meeern close to the line and he pulled if off. His game isn't perfect but he was far from poor last night.

Perth Tiger

Bench
Well our defence has always been hot and cold so hopefully we have gotten that poor game out of our system and can aim up in defence against the dragons

grandorient

Bench
Congrats on the win last night guys, well deserved and well played.

But next week you start to play with the big boys and I'm sure several of the Dragons players will give your guys a pat on the head and a playful spank on the bum as a means of encouragement.

Great to see you make the 3rd week of the finals, but as you are well aware, you now have to bow out at the hands of the mighty Dragons.

Good luck and best wishes for next year guys, for nothing can help you from this point on, in 2010.

GO

braz

Juniors
Hahaha. Reminds me of 2005. How cocky are these dragqueens.

Yep start buying your gf tickets grand orient. The mighty dragons are morals to beat us lowly wests tigers. I hope your team is feeling the same way.

The annual choke is overdue.

macnaz

Staff member
I guess i have serious issues Reek, along side of 90% of sports comentators and i dare say Wayne Bennet would be having some serious issues trying to decide who he picks to run over the top of Lui.
He is a terrible defender regardless if he makes a cuple of good tackles, Benji kicks some great goals to but still is a sh*t goal kicker.

grandorient

Bench
G'day Braz and West Tigers fans,

Just kidding.

Of all teams I didn't want to meet, it's yours. West Tigers play, in my view, an unusual type of game. You know they are going to come out firing and you know that Benji is going to be in the middle of it all. But you just don't know the rest, anything could happen.

As far as the Dragons go, well you know they will base their game on a rock solid defence, with excellent left and right opportunities. I expect they will try to score early and then lock the game up with their defence and scoring further as opportunities arise.

Will this be a cracker of a game?? Bet your bottom dollar.

Who is going to win?? Obvously, I hope Saints.

But finals football is quite different and I know that I will be sitting on the edge of my seat from kickoff.

I cannot wish you guys good luck, but I can wish you a good game, and hopefully all your players will be available.

I also hope, the the refs do not have an undue impact.

Regards to you guys and the team you support.

GO

Direct

Juniors
As for Lui, it was never Sheens intention to have him playing starting no7 for most of the season. He was going to be nursed along between the u20s and the top grade. The injury to Moltzen changed all that and yes he has defensive issues but he also has skill.

What are you basing that on? Moltzen has never been the first choice in the halves. As soon as Gallant had his leg broken last year, Moltzen was moved straight back to fullback with Robert Lui making his debut. All through the off season Lui was being talked up by the coach and the team as being a great trainer and a certain starter at halfback. Your mail must be vastly different to what everybody else was being told.

Reek_Havoc

Juniors
That's true, Lui was always farkwits preference for 7. Shows you what a twat the guy is. With Moltz at half we have never lost a game. That pairing would have blown away Carney/Pearce and Prince/Rogers.

Lui's attitude overall hasn't been the best, but he wasn't bad in "D" against the Raiders. Lawrence was abismall, played in a dinner suit as mentioned in original post.

Lui is a pretty big bloke for a 7 and can tackle. He just needs to get his head right.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
What I've noticed is he's quite effective front-on but ask him to slide and tackle guys running back at angles on him or going across him and he'll miss 7 times out of 10. It's a technique thing (and probably confidence) but considering half our guys are equalling suspect in those situations I wonder if it's the way they're "coached"

Reek_Havoc

Juniors
What I've noticed is he's quite effective front-on but ask him to slide and tackle guys running back at angles on him or going across him and he'll miss 7 times out of 10. It's a technique thing (and probably confidence) but considering half our guys are equalling suspect in those situations I wonder if it's the way they're "coached"

Good call.

On that (guys running at angles at him)....I reckon he needs to get lower and push more off his leg and launch in with his shoulders more. He seems to stand upright alot when tackling and arm grab when guys are changing directions at him. Nothing that Roycey can't fix..:D

Latest posts