What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What to do with Elijah Taylor

When Luck was injured Taylor was awesum, played the 80 made heaps of tackles and generally did what Luck does week in week out. But with Luck recovered and back in the team Taylor is being used as an interchange player with Mateo. When Mateo comes on or off Taylor is pretty much the one who accomadates him. When Mateo is rested we have Taylor and Luck on at the same time who are both alike and we lose that spark. Taylor played good last night cos he played more minutes its like the more game time minutes he plays the better he is. Its like he just starts getting into the game and being productive then hes off and when he comes back its like he has to start all over again.

With the finals coming up would it be better to replace him with a player with more X factor like Ukuma for his offloads and damaging running or Steve Rapira for his defence. Tough call to drop him but as i said hes an 80 minute player and seems to struggle with 2-3 20 minutes spells in the games

Thoughts.......

Cheops

Juniors
I would drop him for either Brown or Ta'ai. Which is a little harsh because he has been good and has a big future, but at this stage both of those guys offer more of the bench imo. Personally I would go with Ta'ai. He is such a unit and adds the attacking threat we need when Mateo is off the field

I would drop him for either Brown or Ta'ai. Which is a little harsh because he has been good and has a big future, but at this stage both of those guys offer more of the bench imo. Personally I would go with Ta'ai. He is such a unit and adds the attacking threat we need when Mateo is off the field

Agreed

Thats why i posted this. When Mateo is off we drop off a bit

Rebound

Juniors
Taylor is a life saver for the Warriors time and time again, to drop him would be a massive mistake. He can run good lines but the Warriors don't seem to use him as a ball runner as much...

Panther_Daz

Staff member
You guys need Ta'ai for the finals. He is the X factor, not many other teams would really focus on him either.

_addict

Juniors
Without answering the question. I saw it suggested elsewhere that Mateo should come off the bench to get the best out of him. I feel inclined to agree.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Agree with the general sentiment of the thread, Taylor is a good player but with him, Luck and Mannering there it throws the team balance off a bit, you've got one too many 80 minute workhorses. I'd go with Ta'ai or Rapira Jr for that reason, but it's not a slight on Taylor's ability.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Why did Ivan get cute and swap Mateo to become a starter? (I know it's not a swap of the named side, but how we've been playing it)

The 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' rule would seem a good fit to me. Mateo had been coming on 20 mins or so in and wreaking havoc amongst tired bodies. And on Sat night, I believe he had zero offloads.

And as per the thread, crazy talk dropping Taylor. He's done a fine job as a starter and a closer. Those who say we have too many tackling clones would do well to notice we are shipping next to no points in the last 20 mins of games. Taylor is a big part of that.

Yes Rapira jnr and Ta'ai offer more on attack but that can be compromised on defence. And that's what's going to win matches v Dragons/Knights/Cows and into play-offs.

devoid

Juniors
I see both sides of what is being said, and I tend to think it is resolved with winning habit, and form. The balance is probably what Space Monkey is re-mentioning. Mateo needs to come on after 20 minutes or so. He plays the same minutes regardless of whether he starts or comes from the bench. IMO opinion he has been more effective when the opposition's big boys are a little slower around the ruck. Funny, but that is how Griffen has been using Gillett, and it worked on us a beaut. Taylor was never put in the side to be the attacking backrower, so his role from the bench was a little odd.

It's a tough one - Taylor doesn't seem to have the pace to be a centre, but he has the footwork and ball skills to be brilliant there.

Kos - Luck is contracted to the end of next season.

I like what Steve Rapira offers. I think he could be the perfect replacement for Luck eventually.

Meth

Staff member
One thing we should all be able to agree on- Brown's form doesn't warrant his inclusion anywhere in the side at the moment

Meth

Staff member
I thought he was dismal defensively, particularly in the first half.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I thought Brown played well, but I just don't see where he fits.

Brown fits as a back rower, not a centre. Again it's out problem of too much back row talent. If anything I'd rather see Ivan just giving most of the back row every third week off entirely and rotating one spot each week.

devoid

Juniors
Yeah fair enough - as a centre he struggles defensively. A few guys had average defensive games though. The Tupou misread, Mateo not getting out of dummy half...

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
One thing we should all be able to agree on- Brown's form doesn't warrant his inclusion anywhere in the side at the moment

Agree, but that is more to do with lack of match fitness and the fact there is a lot of jostling for positions in our back-row. Our back-row stocks have been doing the job...so why did Ivan switch the use of them?

Latest posts