What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What to do with "Magic" Marshall

W.T.Fan

Juniors
I think Benji Marshall is the most overrated player Ive ever seen .Ive been watching him play since his keebra park southport tigers days .
Always thinking he will prove to everyone what the hype is all about ..............still waiting .
Look at his game stats :average tackles per game 6, missed tackles 2 handling errors 2 and he is lucky those bad passes don't add to his handling errors! but the poor bastard trying to catch the sh*t he throws cops it.
Kicking game sux and his goal kicking average is woeful
He needs to be at fullback he can beat just about anyone one on one with a run up, can catch the ball .Cant tackle front on but can run people down .
Can inject himself into the game when he wants .Perfect position for him because he isn't any good in the halves
What do you all think?

Nook

Bench
People see what they want to see don't they.

Anti-Benji people point to defence, kicks out on the full, ego to have a go at him.

Pro-Marshall people (i'd count myself as one) point to stats showing he's creating more opportunities for his outside men than moost other halves in the game.

I'm sure the truth is somewhere in the middle. He'd be a brilliant fullback in a club with good halves, but we don't have that luxury. We need him there. He's been up and down and has a lot to do but he's far from our worst - infact I think he's been one of our best this year, albeit a mile behind Farah. Sure he'd be going even better alongside a great halfback - but that isn't an option at the moment and with our recruitment record it won't be for some time.

To be honest, I still wouldn't swap him for anyone else in the comp.

No one can tear a team apart like he can. That he does it rarely these days I think is more to do with who is around him than Benji himself.

He needs a competent partner in the halves. Without it he feels the need to do something speical every time he gets the ball.

And with Morris partering him, he'll keep doing that....

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
You can have him Everlovin. He's a good player. Not as good as he's made out to be. I've never seen any club / player / coach ride on the coat tails of one seasons success for so long without an expectation to deliver again.

I'd like to see him at fullback. I think that where he'd be best.

Front-Rower

First Grade
You can have him Everlovin. He's a good player. Not as good as he's made out to be. I've never seen any club / player / coach ride on the coat tails of one seasons success for so long without an expectation to deliver again.

I'd like to see him at fullback. I think that where he'd be best.

Rubbish, put him with a decent half back and watch him go. I don't know the figures off hand, but would be interested to see the winning percentage of games Marshall and Prince played together over the years of 2004 - 2006. I dobut they would of played in to many losing sides together.

W.T.Fan

Juniors
Here is all the stats you need http://203.166.101.37/NRL/index.html stats don't lie and neither do my eyes .
Interesting have a look at the stats between john Morris and Benji .
Ive been a john Morris basher even when he played for the eels, imagine my dismay when he came to Wests tigers :(
Also I am not anti Benji Ive known the kid when he played in my sons Gold coast football teams along with greg eastwood ( who actually use to be the 5/8 and benji half ).
He just isnt worth the money Im sorry to say ,He would be on 10 times the money or even more than John Morris but the stats dont justify that
Let me know your thoughts after checking out those stats ;-)
cheers

simmo1

First Grade
Aaah yes, grand final winner. World Cup winner. Lost count of the amount of games he's won for the Tigers. Lets face it, without him and Farah we have got nothing.

Lockyer aside, is there a better five eighth in the competition? Just a pity we have him at halfback.

alien

Referee
It's not Benji's fault that Sheens moved him to halfback or replaced Prince with John Morris. If we buy a quality halfback and our forwards do their job then Benji would move back to five eighth and play as good as he did in 2005...

Martinplace

Juniors
I think its hard to blame one player, BM has done some things normal players wouldn't dream of, the team needs to stand up, they have shown how good they can be, I just have to go back to the coaching staff, what is going on? We will be lucky if we don't win the spoon?

sooperdooper

First Grade
here is just a suggest from an outsider:
moltzen is a natural half back, a jnr roo if i am correct.
why not swap him and marshall??

Magpies Forever

Juniors
here is just a suggest from an outsider:
moltzen is a natural half back, a jnr roo if i am correct.
why not swap him and marshall??

Yep- you're not the only one to suggest that- the only problem is Teflon Tim and his absolute intransigence in moving Marshall- we have written off 09 as a season for this little indulgence and there will be no accountability.

His panel of supporters have drawn the wagons up in a protective circle around this issue- no hope of any changes or a reckoning for it. Even the new CEO - who has no moral obligation to existing structures and previous regime has declared he sees no reason why Teflon should not see out contract......... not even a neutral comment of 'well, we have to assess things and see where we stand....'

What is this hold Teflon has over the Balmain and Campbelltown orientated side of things? Yep, he and the players won us 2005 premiership, but what has his results been since then? Excuses, spin and senseless mouthings to cover up mediocre results, practices and signings- and people sit on their hands like mesmerised roo's in the spotlight saying lets give him more time and he won us 2005- THATS 4 YEARS AGO!!!! WAKE UP FELLA's!!!!!!.

Bench
It's not Benji's fault that Sheens moved him to halfback or replaced Prince with John Morris. If we buy a quality halfback and our forwards do their job then Benji would move back to five eighth and play as good as he did in 2005...
Everyone except Sheens can see this,how the hell is he the Australian coach.

W.T.Fan

Juniors
Half time at the eels game will someone out there hear what im talking about ffs he doesn't do anything at !!!!!!! you guys are clowns wake up and smell the roses idiots

Tiger Hawk

Bench
Half time at the eels game will someone out there hear what im talking about ffs he doesn't do anything at !!!!!!! you guys are clowns wake up and smell the roses idiots
Wouldn't say he dominated the game, but he was the difference last night, especially with a strong last 20 minutes. A few mistakes early on but when the game was there to be won, he laid on a few line-breaks and set up a couple of tries. Pure class.

Reek_Havoc

Juniors
Average performance by B.M. He did 1 maybe 2 good things in the match. Don't forget who we played against. Parra were awful. That's why I even picked the Tig's to win in my work tipping comp. I hardly pick them.

Latest posts