What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What will be your tackling strategy?

Moffo

Referee
Tackles that stop the opposition or the big hits that look awesome?!

I think it'll be 50/50 for me. If the game is getting away from me or i want to cream someone behind the line, ill go the big hit. If im losing or just frustrated and want to smack Gordie or someone else, i might do it as well :lol:

But in regular gameplay it'll probably just be normal tackles. Cant risk giving away penalties, although id be keen to know how often the refs penalise for big tackles that may end up being high or the like....

I love the animations for the tackles as well!!! That alone will be enough to make me press the big tackle button a few times :lol:

Cheers,
Moffo

shirkhan

Juniors
i will go for lots of big hits late in the game manly on the props and quick men like campell but i cant really say till i get the game

Forum Idiot

Bench
Moffo said:
Tackles that stop the opposition or the big hits that look awesome?!

I think it'll be 50/50 for me. If the game is getting away from me or i want to cream someone behind the line, ill go the big hit. If im losing or just frustrated and want to smack Gordie or someone else, i might do it as well :lol:

But in regular gameplay it'll probably just be normal tackles. Cant risk giving away penalties, although id be keen to know how often the refs penalise for big tackles that may end up being high or the like....

I love the animations for the tackles as well!!! That alone will be enough to make me press the big tackle button a few times :lol:

Cheers,
Moffo
when i first get the game ill go for a big hit all the time just because of the novelty factoor but after a while ill start to tackle normally but still put on a big hit when possible

Raider_69

Post Whore
*most of the backs or dummy half runs ill do a normal tackle
but come forward hit ups it's BIG HITS all the way!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

*- exceptions for Chris Walker, Andrew Johns and Brett Finch :)

knowsleyroader

Juniors
As big hits have more of a chance of causing the opposition to lose the ball Ill probably start putting them in if I need the ball in a hurry.

Big hits from the kick off and when Im trying to go for the killer punch will be my strategy.

Forum Idiot

Bench
knowsleyroader said:
As big hits have more of a chance of causing the opposition to lose the ball Ill probably start putting them in if I need the ball in a hurry.

Big hits from the kick off and when Im trying to go for the killer punch will be my strategy.
big hits also are more likely to miss the mark so be careful.

Ausguy

Coach
Finally someone talkign about strategy, i will be playing like it was a real match, no penalties, no errors and smart play, field position is vital, and completion rates must be high. The way im gonna be playing it is a ruthless style, winning is the only result, and boy do i want to be challenged i cant wait for the AI to get a couple of tries up at half time, so i can get the boys in the dressing room and get into them, comeo ut after half time and lift my game and have a second half comeback. If i have players that dont perfom i will be dropping them just like real life, i wont be starting a comp until im confident that i can compete even with the middle placed teams, thatwat the harder teams will a good challenge. Im planning on making a few excel files to keep stats from yr to yr, considering there is no way of tracking it in the game i will keep my own, anyone else planning on keeping records and stats? and how u doing it?

BRING IT ON!!!

Matta

Juniors
Ausguy said:
Finally someone talkign about strategy, i will be playing like it was a real match, no penalties, no errors and smart play, field position is vital, and completion rates must be high. The way im gonna be playing it is a ruthless style, winning is the only result, and boy do i want to be challenged i cant wait for the AI to get a couple of tries up at half time, so i can get the boys in the dressing room and get into them, comeo ut after half time and lift my game and have a second half comeback. If i have players that dont perfom i will be dropping them just like real life, i wont be starting a comp until im confident that i can compete even with the middle placed teams, thatwat the harder teams will a good challenge. Im planning on making a few excel files to keep stats from yr to yr, considering there is no way of tracking it in the game i will keep my own, anyone else planning on keeping records and stats? and how u doing it?

BRING IT ON!!!

nah mate ill be playing as realistic as possible, ill be letting the odd try in and well win games and lose games. and with the tackling ill probably hit hard all the time, but the little ones are better off getting out of the way. depends who im playing as really

Ausguy

Coach
Matta said:
Ausguy said:

BRING IT ON!!!

nah mate ill be playing as realistic as possible, ill be letting the odd try in and well win games and lose games. and with the tackling ill probably hit hard all the time, but the little ones are better off getting out of the way. depends who im playing as really

yeah ur right matta ill lose games aswell, i hope i do, that will add to the challenge, just looking forward to realistic battles and realistic games

shirkhan

Juniors
yea im gonna do that to just make it like a real game but throw heaps of big hits i wont just do the same move just to get trys i really hope the AI is smart

Goleel

Juniors
Since I'll be using the Eels pack who are pretty fast and mobile, I'll be keeping it pretty conservative in defense, the only times I'll go for big hits are when I want to keep the opposition pinned in their own half, and if I get a good chance to potentially smash their playmakers, then I'll go for it. I'll be saving all my players energies for attack, to bust through tackles and make offloads, rather than use up their strength and stamina with big hits in defense. You can't score without the ball, only with it, so I'll keep my defense as solid but conservative as possible.

That's just my style but, I love playing league through the forwards, working from offloads and taking advantage of broken play, especially since the Eels have poor halves. With the Roosters I'd start laying on some big hits, since its their style.

Moffo

Referee
true, i mean, if your playing as morley and johns is running with the ball, why wouldn't you just run up to him and smash him and try to injure him? Its just smart footy in my book :lol:

Cheers,
Moffo

will have to see what works best first ... but i imagine when playing the game on the hard levels, giving away penalties will often put a lot of pressure on your side.

ill be using the big hits on my friends ...well when i can time them to perfection anyway. i can see my friends being idiots and giving away penalties for head highs non-stop - like when i play them in FIFA and the idiots slide tackle my keeper and get straight reds - they know it sh1ts me to tears! -and then they whinge when they lose 10-0

Raider_69

Post Whore
A big HORAY for the talk of stratigies!
=========================

i will be using the raiders so ill be looking for a high completion rate and using the forwards to chew up metres then when the oppertunity arise just like in real life, macca and schif will come into their own and cause some havok

big hits from Cross, Wiki, O Hara and Davico will be used extencivly on the back of probing kicks, try to force the mistake, if im in real strife ill swing it out to schif or graham to create something...

theVodkaCircle

Juniors
I mostly spam the tackle button when in range with a few aggression presses in for good measure. Depending on the team you are playing and what team youre against and also what difficulty, there is a good balance.

Erhan

Juniors
What about the actual defensive pattern ? With ET's rugby I found that the best way to defend was to move up straight, then move diagonally. Whilst when defending on my line, i'd rush up but then completely move laterally so it was an up-and-in style i think ? This way you were guaranteed of not being beaten on the outside by rushing up too quickly..

Attackwise i'm not sure how the new game will be but generally I think most of us will want to spread it out wide or atleast hit up then offload on every tackle. Because the game only goes on for 20 mins and the game is much faster in the game, you can't just cart the ball up for the 1st four tackles etc..

CliffyGC

Juniors
i think ill be using the big hits when their inside their own 20 to press for the error and in the first few minutes of each half to get on top of them

However when i play the sharks i will be putting the big hit on gimmeroley everytime he gets the ball