What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's gone rotten?

LeagueNut

First Grade
OK, we know there are problems on the field at the moment, and there's plenty of other threads to talk about that.

I'm worried about the other "non playing" stuff too.

Mt Smart today was like a ghost town. Just over 11k for the first proper home game of the year is abysmal.

There was absolutely no pre-game entertainment - no cheergirls, no "Rollin' with Dai" competition for season members, no token singer to warm up the crowd, NOTHING. The atmosphere was completely flat before the game had even started.

There was a "beer garden" at the Southern end of the ground along with a couple of bouncy castles. What a classy combination for a Sunday family outing.

Just to top it off, the soft drinks on sale have halved in size but kept the same price.

So what's the story here?? Are we having money troubles or something? Has Vodafone started to realise they're not getting value for money with their sponsorship dollars? Or maybe Watson & Hotchin have turned off the tap??

The on-field action would have turned a few fans away today, but the off-field stuff will do just as much damage.

:(

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
first game since 2003 i've attended without a membership. i'm glad/worried it wasn't just my completely different seat that made for a strange day.

the atmosphere was alright for about three minutes while the team came on - and even then it was way, way down on previous years when the team ran out...and then there was a really obvious air of resignation.

maybe they blew the entertainment budget at eden park.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
to top it off, whoever is running the warriors page on facebook is telling people they don't need them as fans.

a wooden spoon would do wonders at the moment.

LeagueNut

First Grade
Gawd, really?!?

Normally we're deep into a sh*thouse season before this sort of stuff starts coming up.

I can't shake the feeling that something has gone very wrong behind the scenes, but I wouldn't have the first clue what it is.

Rich102

Staff member
On the money Mr Nut.
I think it is a combination; the money has been cut-off and poor team performance.
Warriors Inc is a bit of a rudderless ship. It is big on bombast and low on performance. It is financially driven not performance driven.
We had a "major review" just over a year ago. What has changed?
If Scurrah is fit for the job he has to step in and make some changes - fast.
Forget about Eden Park. If performance doesn't improve it will be off to Moyle Park.

I feel sorry for the Mad Butcher. Flies a bunch of Cantabs up at his expense for what?
Rugby League people are passionate about their sport. They can tell when they are being fed a load of bulldust. Get real Warriors; fix the real problem - team performance.

AliN

Live Update Team
My thoughts yeaterday too Mr Nut.
Very disappointed with what the Warriors Club is giving their fans both on and off the field. The push to Eden Park continues, but at what cost?
Thank God for the Toyota Cup.

Micistm

Bench
Very disappointing to hear, and very worrying. The on field stuff was bad enough, this sounds like big big issues.
You can't help but feel there is going to be another start again from scratch thing about to hit.
So the last few years have been wasted. We got one game away from a GF-Only stopped by the Manly side that was not going to be stopped by any team (That years GF result proved that), and their response to that was ditch the incumbant #6 & #7s. Love or hate Witt/Fein, they were the halves during our best run under Cleary.
I was scratching my head then, but since then we have made zero progress, with the usual little burst of form following weeks of an amateur looking squad. And it doesn't change.
And if the off field entertainment is as bad, non existant...why would anyone bother paying to go?

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Cant say much about behind-the-scenes.
However from consumers point of view (one who didn't go to the game) we have;
Increased price in fuel
Less disposable income
The warriors are playing like mud
Not to the mention the fan favourite is out injured.

I'm just afraid that the first two are out of anyone (in relation to the club) control. Manu will be back when he's ready...so unless they play better, things will get worse before they get better.

on a completely unrelated note...

whos going to taupo?

i think theyre doing all bunch of carnival stuff all day out there.

Warriors to eden park a legit thing tough is it?

hardbaby

Coach
Yeah bro it was the crowd figure that worried me. Your team was playing the premiers (my team) who had just lost to the wooden spoon favourites. The Dragons also have 2 gun Kiwis in the team in Fein and Nightingale. It's a game the Warriors supporters should turn up to watch. I was shocked by the crowd.

In the last few years Kiwi rugby league has been going off. Strong performances at national level (World Cups), incredible Toyota Cup results, improving club side (I am still tipping them for top 4), great crowds. All at a time that Super 15 rugby league is getting record low crowds.

Most semi intelligent Ozzies are cheering for the Warriors. The future of the game lies in a strong Warriors side and a competitive NZ side. I mean it hurts but it's the truth. League doesn't have the international kudos of union so what we have, we need to protect.

I am voting for a second Kiwis side asap. All my mates are as well. I do this against my national interest but in favour of a stronger international code. But when you see a crowd like that you have to wonder. What the hell is going on?

The performance of your team was unfortunate but sh*t happens. Move on and win next week. But that crowd. Why aren't Kiwis supporting a side with such potential? It's there for the taking...

Whos Ya Daddy

First Grade
A complete lack of attacking structure. Cleary also seems to have coached the natural flair out of most of the forward pack preferring them to play like robot logs. At least when you have Manu on the wing you always have the bail out play of getting the ball near him and something will happen. I think losing him to injury shows how good he really is. Still it wouldn't be a regular season of the NRL if the Warriors didn't get out to 50/1+ in the betting before finding some form.

Martli

Coach
I just hope there isn't a massive player exodus because of this. I am genuinely happy with the squad members we have and I'd hate to see the bulk of that move on to greener pastures when we were close to having a genuine shot at the premiership. The thought of rebuilding again gives me the sh*ts, we spent most of last year throwing our juniors in the deep end because of injury and it paid massive dividends near the end of the season. We got three pretty good recruits in Berrigan, Inu and Mateo; who have all played reasonably well so far and our only major loss was Tate who got injured playing for Australia any way. To suddenly lose all that good momentum because of poor off-field performance would be a f**king tragedy for a club that by all means should be doing a lot better.

Rich102

Staff member
Yeah bro it was the crowd figure that worried me. Your team was playing the premiers (my team) who had just lost to the wooden spoon favourites. The Dragons also have 2 gun Kiwis in the team in Fein and Nightingale. It's a game the Warriors supporters should turn up to watch. I was shocked by the crowd.

In the last few years Kiwi rugby league has been going off. Strong performances at national level (World Cups), incredible Toyota Cup results, improving club side (I am still tipping them for top 4), great crowds. All at a time that Super 15 rugby league is getting record low crowds.

Most semi intelligent Ozzies are cheering for the Warriors. The future of the game lies in a strong Warriors side and a competitive NZ side. I mean it hurts but it's the truth. League doesn't have the international kudos of union so what we have, we need to protect.

I am voting for a second Kiwis side asap. All my mates are as well. I do this against my national interest but in favour of a stronger international code. But when you see a crowd like that you have to wonder. What the hell is going on?

The performance of your team was unfortunate but sh*t happens. Move on and win next week. But that crowd. Why aren't Kiwis supporting a side with such potential? It's there for the taking...

Good post and thanks for your support.
I don't for a moment think it is the Warriors team under fire, though they are playing badly. Rather it is the organisation running the Warriors.
This is a business. They have a captive audiance, loads of raw material and they still can't get it right.

Revelation 3:20

Juniors

Why the poor crowds......simple!
1. The Warriors are playing mud, not only are they not winning they are playing ugly football.
2. Auckland Crowds are fickle at best - Warriors have a core support base of 8000-9000 the other 20,000 just jump on the hype
3. Weather - Losing team in the rain - no thanks, many people choose to stay at home
4. Talent wise NZ could have a second team.......regarding support/ finance No.
5. Potential...Warriors have had that in bucketfuls over the year, I believe Cleary has stifled that over the last three years. Under him they'll always be the 'nearly there' team.
6. Rugby World Cup - a lot of casual supporters will be saving their bucks for the Auckland RWC matches
7. 'Warriors supporters should turn up to watch' Warriors crowd are smart, the writing has been on the wall - The Warriors are struggling and the crowd know it.

I never went to the game, and I'm glad I didn't what a waste of time.
Play like rubbish people won't turn up.

ozenzud

Juniors
Whats gone wrong?
1. Seymour's crap. - Fix - Drop him put mateo at 5/8 or promote Shaun Johnson. It will happen one day. Sooner the better.
2. Hohaia isn't a fullback - always been a caretaker. Fix Put Kevin Locke at fullback or Fishiahi. Gotta happen one day, sooner the better.
3. Forwards need to dominate - Fix giv Matelino more time. Ukuma Taai probably needs to come back to get some punch.
4. Centres look bad (maybe because forwards lacking go forward) - Fix: Probably have to put Lewis Brown into centres, maybe Mannering back there as well.
5. Manu is out. Fix........dunno.

Latest posts