What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats involved with starting a new Rugby League club??

sheepbender

Juniors
Now Im sure those who read this are thinking, "If you have to ask, you probably shouldnt start one"

Now Im not saying I wouldnt start one, but it would take a lot of time and commitment, which I dont currently have. But nevertheless, I would like to know if people could lend me their knowledge on the basics of starting a club.

I have played before, so I know some basics, a club needs a field, club house or base of operations, coaches, insurance, clerical type people to organise registration of players, first aid people, equipment, kits, $$$, and most importantly players..

What else is involved though, any help would be much appreciated.

innsaneink

Referee
Talk to Girvie, he's currently resurrecting an old defunct Norths jnr club...

I imagine organising a commitee of like minded people would be first...too much for one.

rabbs

Juniors
The basic criteria to form a new club would be;

1. Form a club & have it incorporated
2. Form an executive, a minimum including President, Secretary, Registrar and Treasurer
3. Provide a detailed financial plan for the first two seasons
4. Evidence of club finances by providing a written financial statement from a financial institution
5. Provide names of club sponsors or provide letters of financial intent
6. Approval in writing to use sporting fields for training and playing
7. Provide a representation of the clubs playing jersey, shorts and socks
8. Provide names of qualified Coaches, Referees, League Safe and First Aid Officers, or letters of intent to attend training courses to attain qualification
9. Provision of daily accessible phone numbers, email and postal addresses
10. List of current players in age groups
11. Provision of a monetary bond on application

This criteria would change from district to district.

Loudstrat

Coach
A few more tips:

• Start it in South East Queensland. It is the only place guaranteed to be a success. Plus you'll have plenty of experienced candidates from the other failed SEQ clubs
  • Do not start one in SEQ, the Broncos and their News Ltd connections will have you either dead or close to it within 5 years
  • If you find a place in NSW with 500k plus potential fans, a ready made stadium and a solid stream of funding, forget it. It's the wrong postcode.
  • The Simpson Desert would be a good place, simply because it's "growing" the game
  • Don't sign ex Canterbury players. They will piss on your town hall, crap in pot plants and end up in Union anyway.
  • Dont ever sign Brian Smith and then tell potential sponsors that you are a serious contender for the premiership.

***MH***

Bench
Step one: Purchase a thinking cap.

Steps two or more require Step one to be complete before further steps can be advised.

sheepbender

Juniors
All valuable input ; )

As Im not part of some sort of consortium looking to enter the NRL in 2015, or to merge with the Sharks, lets perhaps keep it on topic.

Im in Melbourne, and I dont enjoy the lack of league down here, or that the teams are all rather far apart. I would like to start a club central to the city to compete in the VRL, whether it be 1st Division or 2nd.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Ausguy, it's just a bait. Have a laugh.

Very good thread. Some excellent replies.

Ausguy

Coach
Willow im fine with it...

some major sharks hate frm coastbloke, most people i can work out why, him i cant.

Perth Red

Post Whore
re original question, depends on the level you are aiming for. I started up a club in the UK (different sport, Am football) was massive amount of work and as mentioned the first step is to get a committee of dedicated people who will share the load. Then get players, meet the comp requirements, find funding, somewhere to play etc etc. Not an easy task by any means!

Parra

Referee
Now Im sure those who read this are thinking, "If you have to ask, you probably shouldnt start one"

Now Im not saying I wouldnt start one, but it would take a lot of time and commitment, which I dont currently have. But nevertheless, I would like to know if people could lend me their knowledge on the basics of starting a club.

I have played before, so I know some basics, a club needs a field, club house or base of operations, coaches, insurance, clerical type people to organise registration of players, first aid people, equipment, kits, $$$, and most importantly players..

What else is involved though, any help would be much appreciated.

I assume you mean some sort of junior or amateur local club.

Two main things.

1. Need
2. Will

Needing a club is the first thing. Not just wanting one. If there is already a local club then who needs another. There could be valid reasons. But establish the need.

Will - a matter of following through and doing it once the need is established. You'll need affiliation with the local governing body, a group of dedicated likeminded people and you are started. Your local council will be a big help - they allocate the grounds, maintain directories of other local sports and later on assist with grant submissions etc.

The affiliation will help with a lot of what you mention - insurance, training courses for officials, documentation to get you going, templates for constitutions, forms, policies etc.

You can live without a clubhouse. Most clubs/pubs will let you hold meetings there - you just need someone to store the records.

The key thing is dedicated, hardworking volunteers. Not just people who will turn up to meetings to add their 2-bobs-worth. People who will do things. Take an idea and turn it into something. In too many clubs the actual "doing" comes done to a couple of people, while the rest of the committee just become conduits for whinging and ideas for the busy few to implement.

billy2

Juniors
All valuable input ; )

As Im not part of some sort of consortium looking to enter the NRL in 2015, or to merge with the Sharks, lets perhaps keep it on topic.

Im in Melbourne, and I dont enjoy the lack of league down here, or that the teams are all rather far apart. I would like to start a club central to the city to compete in the VRL, whether it be 1st Division or 2nd.
First thing i'd do is ring the VRL to talk about their requirements for a new club and what help they may be able to offer.
Second thing would be to advertise in the local paper of the proposed area for interested people.