What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats involved with starting a new Rugby League club??

AdelaideRLFC

Juniors
The actual start up cost for a club on paper is not much - just the basics of getting an ACN, starting a private company, etc.

To enter either the NSW or QLD cup the business needs to show cosistent revenue over years, so our aim as to field teams in the junior leagues in either state before we even consider a cup bid, but our intention is very much that.

Going up the tiers is more realistic than begging the NRL to bring the Rams back. Super League messed up RL in South Australia but with careful and realistic goals, we'll have a team in the SG Ball cup in the next few years.

We may start of in the juniors, but culturally we'll act like an NRL club, have merch, grow the fanbase, etc. We'll afiiliate with one of the NRL clubs to begin with before a bid in the mid 2040s - for exampke, we can partner with Roosters as they have some supposed issues with their juniors and be their junior affiliate.

The Great Dane

First Grade
The actual start up cost for a club on paper is not much - just the basics of getting an ACN, starting a private company, etc.

To enter either the NSW or QLD cup the business needs to show cosistent revenue over years, so our aim as to field teams in the junior leagues in either state before we even consider a cup bid, but our intention is very much that.

Going up the tiers is more realistic than begging the NRL to bring the Rams back. Super League messed up RL in South Australia but with careful and realistic goals, we'll have a team in the SG Ball cup in the next few years.

We may start of in the juniors, but culturally we'll act like an NRL club, have merch, grow the fanbase, etc. We'll afiiliate with one of the NRL clubs to begin with before a bid in the mid 2040s - for exampke, we can partner with Roosters as they have some supposed issues with their juniors and be their junior affiliate.
If you're serious, then starting out your biggest problem will be the brand. Namely the fact that Steve Mascord owns the Adelaide Rams trademark.

Maybe you are Steve, or you're affiliated with him, but it doesn't sound like it. Maybe he'd sell it to you, but it doesn't sound like you have the resources for something like that. Maybe he'd even let you use it as it's no sweat off his brow, and it's an opportunity for him to benefit off merch sales, but in that scenario it'd only be a matter of time before it causes you issues if big money ever gets involved.

Realistically, if you actually successfully launch your club it won't be a reincarnation of the Rams. I wish you luck in your endeavours though.

This Year?

Immortal
I'd be looking for consultancy from other club directors as well. They have a surprisingly large network of contacts for anything RL related. Even the smaller clubs have around 7 directors.

sheepbender

Juniors
Ha what a random post to re-emerge, I don't remember it tbh.
FYI a club has yet to be started central to the city, by me or anyone. But Melbourne Rugby League certainly has improved in many ways since 2012. More Junior and Senior clubs all over the metropolitan area.
Has been a bit rough coming out of Covid though, but I'm sure thats the same everywhere.
Digital TV meant we finally got the games at the same time as QLD/NSW which was a blessing.
Still 2nd fiddle to AFL in pubs in 99% of areas, although there are a few dedicated Pubs that will give NRL priority.
Majority still don't know the difference between Union and League, and I'd say most Storm supporters are expat QLD, NSW, Kiwi or from the Pacific Islands.

AdelaideRLFC

Juniors
If you're serious, then starting out your biggest problem will be the brand. Namely the fact that Steve Mascord owns the Adelaide Rams trademark.

Maybe you are Steve, or you're affiliated with him, but it doesn't sound like it. Maybe he'd sell it to you, but it doesn't sound like you have the resources for something like that. Maybe he'd even let you use it as it's no sweat off his brow, and it's an opportunity for him to benefit off merch sales, but in that scenario it'd only be a matter of time before it causes you issues if big money ever gets involved.

Realistically, if you actually successfully launch your club it won't be a reincarnation of the Rams. I wish you luck in your endeavours though.

That does not matter - our club/franchise plans to be brand new. We've actually discussed what mascot and nickname we could use, and have a few potential candidates. I won't discuss them here but if you can imagine any animal mascot that's not in the NRL now, with the name "Adelaide" attached to it then we have it listed down.

No I'm not Steve lol, nor do we intend to pay him for the trademark. The way we view the "Rams" now is essentially the SA representative mascot.

Our intention is not to continue the Adelaide Rams Super League franchise, although their history will be part of the history of Rugby League in Australia, and we'll honour that.

We're Adelaide first and foremost, the mascot will be finalised shortly after and need not be the Rams.

Canard

Immortal

Would you allow players to punch darts and smash tins at half time?

The Great Dane

First Grade
That does not matter - our club/franchise plans to be brand new. We've actually discussed what mascot and nickname we could use, and have a few potential candidates. I won't discuss them here but if you can imagine any animal mascot that's not in the NRL now, with the name "Adelaide" attached to it then we have it listed down.

No I'm not Steve lol, nor do we intend to pay him for the trademark. The way we view the "Rams" now is essentially the SA representative mascot.

Our intention is not to continue the Adelaide Rams Super League franchise, although their history will be part of the history of Rugby League in Australia, and we'll honour that.

We're Adelaide first and foremost, the mascot will be finalised shortly after and need not be the Rams.
Just using it as a representative mascot would probably still put you in breach of his IP, if he's inclined to pursue you for it.

Resurrecting the Aces brand could be an interesting call back to history, if you want to go down that route.

images

http://www.ipaustralia.com.au/applicant/rugby-league-south-australia-pty-ltd/trademarks/674876/

AdelaideRLFC

Juniors
Just using it as a representative mascot would probably still put you in breach of his IP, if he's inclined to pursue you for it.

Resurrecting the Aces brand could be an interesting call back to history, if you want to go down that route.

images

http://www.ipaustralia.com.au/applicant/rugby-league-south-australia-pty-ltd/trademarks/674876/

The business we are starting is not using that mascot. NRL SA and the SA Government already use the original super league Rams mascot for their rep team at CAS level and other interstate comps.

The Rams were affiliated with the Western Suburbs Panthers from Bardon in 1998. Wests wore horizontal red and black stripes and were know as the "mud n blood". An Adelaide team would look good with a similar jersey, even if the colours were different. Red and black is a great colour scheme that's not in use at the moment.

AdelaideRLFC

Juniors
The Rams were affiliated with the Western Suburbs Panthers from Bardon in 1998. Wests wore horizontal red and black stripes and were know as the "mud n blood". An Adelaide team would look good with a similar jersey, even if the colours were different. Red and black is a great colour scheme that's not in use at the moment.

Our graphic designer is going through various colour schemes, atm we're testing out the usual SA tricolours, but we're also testing out other variations such as black and white.

MugaB

Coach
Our graphic designer is going through various colour schemes, atm we're testing out the usual SA tricolours, but we're also testing out other variations such as black and white.
Id go with the same moniker of the rams but change the orginal blue to dark purple, red and gold, it would be unique and more inline with the past incarnation, of which there was nothing wrong with, i made a few jerseys some time ago, ill see if i can post them

Adelaide Scorpions has a nice ring to it.

Cannot think of a pro football club in Australia called the Scorpions.

MugaB

Coach
Adelaide Scorpions has a nice ring to it.

Cannot think of a pro football club in Australia called the Scorpions.
Besides youre failed local logan team... yeah great stuff grotd... peddle your tripe elsewhere pal... anything to throw in his two cents regarding logan... wow its been a full day before anyone posted here, and you got a response from grotd... even tho im on his ignore... must be reading what i write... "Ignore function" ...FAIL

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
Id go with the same moniker of the rams but change the orginal blue to dark purple, red and gold, it would be unique and more inline with the past incarnation, of which there was nothing wrong with, i made a few jerseys some time ago, ill see if i can post them
Couldn't find them all, but found one, but threw together a few new ones

20210715_160735.png
Home
20221115_231406.jpg
Away
20221115_231337.jpg
Heritage
20220530_162231.jpg

Last edited:

İzmir Zaferi

Juniors
I have never started a club in Australia but I have done so in Turkey (where we are trying to start a League not just a club)

Chat with the VRL, they will have a process in terms of the legal elements.

They will also have the requirements regarding affiliation, positions, accreditation etc.

HOWEVER, I would make a quick preparation in terms of website, social media and branding. Set it up before going public, make it attractive, you are wanting to attract people who feel like the dream looks impressive.

Make a clear target so far as the demographics you are hoping to engage. You may want to engage the traditional supporter base but who are the communities that also may be possible positive athletes? For instance, RL should seriously consider intentionally doing community engagement with the newer african migrant communities. They have less bias against Rugby League.

Make a strategic plan that goes far beyond a single men's team but women's and juniors (touch, tag, tackle)

Realise it is going to take longer than you expect and be harder then you expect.

Ps. you should follow us in Izmir :)

Izmir Rugby League instagram