What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats the biggest score a team has put on another in AFL/VFL history?

chileman

Coach
:sarcasm: The reason I'm asking is can we see it blitzed this season with games like the Eagles up against the Blues ect???

CyberKev

Staff member
Highly unlikely, Chillers, partly because of flooding; partly because of a greater defensive orientation in the modern game; and partly because IMHO the attacking structures of most sides just aren't that flash.

Anyhow...

Highest score = 37/17/239 by Geelong vs Brisbane in 1992.

The highest winning margin is 190pts, by Fitzroy (who only scored 1 behind less than Geelong's score above) against Melbourne in 1979.

Interestingly, Hawthorn holds the record for most scoring shots in a match, after banging through 66 against St Kilda in 1977. The Hawks returned an astonishing 25/41 that day, and despite having a colossal 43 more scoring shots than their opposition, only won the game by a trifling 88pts.

Oh for such a scoreline this weekend. :(

Its interesting that despite concerted league efforts to make the game quicker, we tend to see lower scoring in the present day. High scoring, of course, isn't necessarily any greater an indication of a quality game than a fast leg speed is.

chileman

Coach
Thanks Kev, you are a walking/talking history book :D lunch time discussion with the fellas today should be good (living in Brisbane I will point out the Geelong v Lions result) :lol:
The Hawks, I remember the Edelsten Swans copping a few floggings by the Hawks back in the dark days! :oops:

meltiger

First Grade
CyberKev said:
Highly unlikely, Chillers, partly because of flooding; partly because of a greater defensive orientation in the modern game; and partly because IMHO the attacking structures of most sides just aren't that flash.

25.41? f**k me lol

Don't forget, quarters are also 5 mins shorter mate

Hoops

Juniors
There seems to be higher scores this year than the last couple of years, with teams like Collingwood Melbourne and Bulldogs, all big scorers and the normally defensive lock'em down swans kicking past 100 a couple of times already this year.

any one got the Stats.

Hoops

Juniors
Hoops said:
There seems to be higher scores this year than the last couple of years, with teams like Collingwood Melbourne and Bulldogs, all big scorers and the normally defensive lock'em down swans kicking past 100 a couple of times already this year.

any one got the Stats?
Just looked it up myself

year Av-Goals, Av-Behinds, Av-Points
2000 15.11, 12.29, 102.95
2001 14.17, 12.00, 97.02
2002 13.79, 11.67, 94.41
2003 13.76, 11.48, 94.04
2004 13.47, 11.50, 92.32
2005 13.85, 11.55, 94.65
2006 13.71, 11.74, 94.00

my mistake :oops: