What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats the go with Shaun ?

ozbash

Referee
He looks lost and lonely.

The guy is an unbelievable talent in his own right, yet he cant seem to fire a shot. If we had won the 9's, SJ was a cert for MOM.

WTF is wrong ?

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Constant changes, no cohesion in attack. Hard to play your game when nobody knows what everyone else is doing. It's a team thing.

Having said that, just like Tomkins there are times when they create half a gap and they just need to hit the accelerator and go for it instead of waiting for a larger gap that simply doesn't come in the NRL.

Tomkins started doing that last night, Johnson needs to follow suit.

vvvrulz

Coach
I thought Johnson looked more involved and willing than usual last night.
But the gaps just weren't coming and he kept resorting to the bomb to wing tactics.

I don't think he's figured out his stock safe options and keeps looking for the million dollar plays.

Cold Roses

Juniors
I thought Johnson looked more involved and willing than usual last night.
But the gaps just weren't coming and he kept resorting to the bomb to wing tactics.

I don't think he's figured out his stock safe options and keeps looking for the million dollar plays.

This. I don't know if bombing to the wings was part of the game plan, and at least they seemed to stop it in the second half a bit, but seriously, just hold the ball in both hands and run at the line. That's his strength. I haven't looked at the stats, but to me, he should be touching the ball way more than he does for a first grade half.

He's a touch player on a rugby league field. That's what's wrong. Although Benji had a couple of good seasons, so it's possible, just limits his options.

vvvrulz

Coach
He's a touch player on a rugby league field. That's what's wrong. Although Benji had a couple of good seasons, so it's possible, just limits his options.

I wouldn't mind that if he was trying hard to mould himself into a league #7.
Its fair to say he isn't really, but he's at least getting involved now after a shocker in round 1.

Diesel

Referee
He's fine, he has the normal ups & downs that most Warriors players do, it's just this club is a one country team and gets scrutinised more through the media than any of the other 15 clubs

He's fine, he has the normal ups & downs that most Warriors players do, it's just this club is a one country team and gets scrutinised more through the media than any of the other 15 clubs

Agreed

I think his defence has improved 10000% and is a gutsy defender in the line. His attack will come once the team settle down with all the changes in the place and with McFadden being a former 7 will benefit Johnson

Hell be sweet

vvvrulz

Coach
agreed, Chad wasn't that great in the sharks game, but didn't deserve to be dropped.

Thomas isn't a playmaker, his role should be hooker.

Friend does a mountain of work at hooker, and I didn't like Leulaui at #6 initially but he's doing fine now. He and Tomkins have worked out a combination but (again) Neilson at centre doesn't help things there.

Townsend was a strange buy, he just doesn't fit anywhere really. Not his fault, I thought he generally went ok.

Blair

Coach
It was often said here that Maloney was cramping Johnson's style. That can't have been the problem now, obviously!

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Friend does a mountain of work at hooker, and I didn't like Leulaui at #6 initially but he's doing fine now. He and Tomkins have worked out a combination but (again) Neilson at centre doesn't help things there.

Townsend was a strange buy, he just doesn't fit anywhere really. Not his fault, I thought he generally went ok.

Purchased for depth, and to be fair to him, if he wasn't here who were we playing at five eight for the first few rounds? Mateo? :crazy:

Izz

Bench
tbh, thought Johnson had his best game of the season this weekend. Took the line on a lot more, didn't go missing like he sometimes does.

what ever

Juniors
Hes just going thru the motions as usual. He should be dropped to the NSW team just like the others who is not performing, hes not that special. I would have Thomas L at 7, Tommkins at 6 and Kevin at 1. Peyroux at centre for Nielsen & the team will win against the Storm on Friday.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

This isn't really true. Our league media is pretty soft - led by Allen McLaughlin who probably takes a wage from the club. I'm sure Carney/Pearce/Maloney etc would rather be in NZ scrutiny-wise.

I'm not sure people aren't judging him on his very best 80mins and everything else is a disappointment. He's been less involved this year because Townsend and Tomkins have been more involved - last year he had more autonomy over the attacking duties.

To me, yeah he needs to get a bit more involved and probably grab the game by the scruff of the neck a bit more. I don't think the goalkicking helps either, that can't be decent for his confidence that we've basically lost two games we should've won with a better dead-eye.

I can't fathom how the last poster says 'he isn't that special'. He is. The Tigers won a premiership on the back of a Benji bust-out year, and we were one step off it when he burst onto the scene in 2011. Seems like there might be a slight attitude problem and a too big for his boots mentality, but the right coach, the right structure and a bit more maturity could be the tonic.

JJ

Immortal
He is potentially special.

Unfair on Prince to say Tigers won on back of Benji imo

vvvrulz

Coach
I can't fathom how the last poster says 'he isn't that special'. He is. The Tigers won a premiership on the back of a Benji bust-out year, and we were one step off it when he burst onto the scene in 2011. Seems like there might be a slight attitude problem and a too big for his boots mentality, but the right coach, the right structure and a bit more maturity could be the tonic.

Totally agree on this.

Johnson is a bit rudderless right now and hasn't worked out how to play the percentages. If things aren't working he tends to go all hail mary or just disappear into a shell, and hopefully with time it comes right. He is our long term #7.

He was hit and miss vs the Dragons but I was happy with his involvement, unlike the Eels in round one he was definitely trying this time.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Haven't seen him play much at all this season, but my opinion of him from before this season and including the 9s

Massive ego, loves the showpony stuff and whooping it up to the crowd at every opportunity, if the going gets tough and there is some hard work to be done you very rarely sight him

9s backed that view up, in open space loved it, saluting the crowds. When the pressure was turned up a notch in the semi final though, he went to water and didnt run the ball once

May be a bit harsh there but something just grates me the wrong way with that stuff. Always thought a stint in reserve grade may help that but can't see it happening anytime soon

Latest posts