What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's the point of giving 2 points during a bye?

RL1908

Bench
I noticed that AFL don't give points for a bye. However, they give 4 points for a win, 2 for a draw - what is the logic behind that?

back 90 odd years ago, the league had an un even amount of teams and couldn't play everyone twice, so when it came to organizing the bye, some teams got the bye twice, others once, which is why 2 points were offered, i guess these days they just stick with tradition

hairy asad

Juniors
lucablight said:
Just looking at the congested ladder I realised that some teams may be doing slightly better or worse than the ladder reads due to some teams having the bye and others yet to do so. Does anyone know the point of rewarding teams with 2 points during the bye for doing nothing? I think it just lessens the accuracy of the ladder and I can't see any reasonable purpose for it. Anyone know why the NRL does it this way?

Don't you realise it works both ways???!??!!!!!:x If teams are awarded 0 points for a bye they will seem worse than they are and if awarded 2 they will seem better. It is a catch 22.

The one aspect you might not have considered is the PSYCHOLOGICAL aspect of a 4 point win going into a bye. Often people will speak of this and much motivation for winning the game prior to the bye is that it feels like you've won two games due to being awarded 4 points. Although this is not the case it helps to motivate teams so they don't have a leisurely week prior to the bye in anticipation of it.

Scorpio30

Bench
Im pretty sure back in the days of the NSL that you not only got 3 points for a bye but got a 2-0 score to go with it.

What would be a good League score for the bye?

Mr Saab

Referee
Everyone has had their bye and the ladder is "correct" now.
Stupid thread to begin with.

Rovelli

Bench
It doesn't even matter.

By the time SOO3 was played, every team had their one-and-only bye.

So from now on, there will not be any 'discrepancy' in competition points.

Latest posts