What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's the point.......

Nuffy

Bench
Between the antics of the NRL and the almost comical incompetency of the Knights at every level, collectively they seem determined to have a team that's just making up the numbers and in long term decline.

The NRL wants success in important TV markets hence the legs up only some clubs get regarding programming. They then allow a small number of teams to horde all the talent, does anyone actually believe that our roster is worth the same as the Roosters for example but we are spending the same cap.

They allow a deeply flawed third party payment system and the plundering of junior talent with no recourse for the developers.

They have done nothing thus far to improve the club and are dismissive of the likes of Marwan Koukash, I suspect because other clubs are concerned about us getting ahead so the back room boys are pulling Smiths strings.

Also seriously, how long does it take to assemble a board? Are you kidding me? Has anyone spoken to Wests? What genius decided to extend Matt Gidleys contract? Why not wait for the new board to review the CEOs performance before extending.

What has the CEO done to improve the business, where is his clearly articulated vision for the club, where is the annual KPIs he sets for the on and off field performance. Who reviewed that data.

Then we have the club, Matt Gidley thinks he has a deal but hasn't heard for weeks and yet isn't concerned. Seriously this must be his first rodeo.

The coach recruitment process is opaque at best and seems to outsiders as if Stone got the rails run because he was an acceptable Newcastle face, not the best option.

Then Hages as coaching director because of his yeoman performances at Newcastle and Parra previously one can only assume. Hages was quoted in his first interview as saying that he wasn't quite sure what the job entailed but it would be a little bit of everything, so no job description and no firm plan brought to the table. But a good Newcastle bloke so the Knights nannas are happy.

We don't have a conditioning staff, a number of our major sponsors are gone or will be going, no new ones announced and the best case is that our top 25 playing group is still 3-4 top line forwards short and we are 6-8 weeks shy of next season training commencing.

What the flying f**k has anyone at the club being doing?

We've had 10 years of mediocrity and the solution is to embrace it further.

Do these clowns really think that is the right answer. I'm more passionate than most and yet they are slowly but surely killing my enjoyment for the game and support for the club.

People have more entertainment options now than ever before, do the Knights really think they have a lock on peoples heart, I am utterly convinced that the path they are on only leads to the utter demise of the club.

People voted for Tinkler because they wanted more from the club that the then admin / playing group could offer. They wanted the chance at success and a return to the glory days.

These current clowns have missed that message and gone back to the old days, the days that the members rejected, they will now see that the supporters will reject them again.

The current fiasco is just example number 1345 of how poorly run our club is and it's reaching the point of no return in the eyes of many supporters.

10 more years like the last 10 and there will be no more Knights.

That will be the legacy of the current admin.

I put it all back on Nathan Tinkler. He dropped us in a hole we will never dig out of unless Koukash gets his way. The NRL fear us ever becoming a success.

Nuffy

Bench
I put it all back on Nathan Tinkler. He dropped us in a hole we will never dig out of unless Koukash gets his way. The NRL fear us ever becoming a success.

He has his share of the blame but I think the key point is that the members wanted something more than we had, we wanted excellence and success.

No one associated with the club has heeded that message.

perverse

Referee
I'm going through a similar crisis of faith, Nuffy. I'm struggling to see the point of this anymore. Our town and team have no idea, or seemingly any will, to prosper. Struggling with why I should bother anymore. I can count on one hand how many non-Knights matches I watched this year. It's not just our team, either... the NRL clearly favours certain teams on and off the field... which makes me give even less of a f**k.

Last edited:

K-Man

Bench
I'm going through a similar crisis of faith, Nuffy. I'm struggling to see the point of this anymore. Our town and team have no idea, or seemingly any will, to prosper. Struggling with why I should bother anymore. I can count on one hand how many non-Knights matches I watched this year. It's not just our team, either... the NRL clearly favours certain teams on and off the field... which makes me give even less of a f**k.

That's a really salient point. I'm the same, I hardly watched a match until the finals. In the past I would watch any game I was at home for and able to on Fox. I would only change my social plans around the Knights, but if I wasn't doing anything else then I would watch any NRL game out of interest.

Now I sometimes forget it's even on, no joke. I'll be having a chilled Friday evening and all of a sudden it will be 9pm and I hadn't even thought to switch the TV on.

If the NRL thinks (not that they care) that my dwindling interest is down to anything other than my total disengagement with just about everything in the game, they are kidding themselves.

It's not because my team went poorly (that's standard), it's not because I'm a bandwagon supporter (been a die hard follower for 25 years), and it's not because anything else in my life changed dramatically (still live in Sydney, still unmarried and without family obligations, still have time and disposable income).

The difference is, I'm just over the crap.

I thought that no matter how far my passion dipped, I'd still love the Knights. And I do still love the club, but I also definitely care less now. I can actually record it with the plan of coming home to watch it, then find out the score accidentally and not get extremely upset about it these days. Basically, the genuine passion is gone.

mozza91

Coach
Christ you blokes would have to be the biggest bunch of pea hearts on the planet. You support them because they're your team no matter how shit they are. Whether we're shit or not I'll still watch and support them each year.

I've watched most games of football this year and have thoroughly enjoyed it. This finals series has been one of the best I can remember.

perverse

Referee
That's a really salient point. I'm the same, I hardly watched a match until the finals. In the past I would watch any game I was at home for and able to on Fox. I would only change my social plans around the Knights, but if I wasn't doing anything else then I would watch any NRL game out of interest.

Now I sometimes forget it's even on, no joke. I'll be having a chilled Friday evening and all of a sudden it will be 9pm and I hadn't even thought to switch the TV on.

If the NRL thinks (not that they care) that my dwindling interest is down to anything other than my total disengagement with just about everything in the game, they are kidding themselves.

It's not because my team went poorly (that's standard), it's not because I'm a bandwagon supporter (been a die hard follower for 25 years), and it's not because anything else in my life changed dramatically (still live in Sydney, still unmarried and without family obligations, still have time and disposable income).

The difference is, I'm just over the crap.

I thought that no matter how far my passion dipped, I'd still love the Knights. And I do still love the club, but I also definitely care less now. I can actually record it with the plan of coming home to watch it, then find out the score accidentally and not get extremely upset about it these days. Basically, the genuine passion is gone.
Agree with and can relate to pretty much everything you've said. I think I would be more interested in other teams form, and other matches in general if it mattered to us one iota.

Alex28

Coach
I don't think that it is "pea hearted" to expect that the owners of the club that you support actually gives a shit about the club. The NRL doesn't give a rats arse - we are too big a market to not be part of, but that doesn't mean you can phone us in either...

I have supported this team from day 1 and will continue to. It won't mean that I will want more from the club. It won't mean I won't get frustrated and whinge and complain - if we don't, what will ever change?

Mediocrity isn't ever good enough.

Yes we did indeed save the game 17 yrs ago Alex. How it has been forgotten by many. It was Rocky beating Ivan Drago that match. Anyhow I am going to maintain the faith as soul destroying as that is for many of us here. It has got to turn. I am going to be positive and predict Marwan Koukash will own the Knights by 2016 and we will be making other teams hurt over juniors for a change. The upshot is we will have plenty of money to throw at the likes Of Foran, Matulino and many of the Roosters players who will need to take big cuts to stay together. There is always the chance that Sione does not kick on as well. many many players have been touted as the next big thing and ended up like Chris Walker. Walker was regarded as the most natural finisher Qld had produced since Renouf.

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
I don't think that it is "pea hearted" to expect that the owners of the club that you support actually gives a shit about the club. The NRL doesn't give a rats arse - we are too big a market to not be part of, but that doesn't mean you can phone us in either...

I have supported this team from day 1 and will continue to. It won't mean that I will want more from the club. It won't mean I won't get frustrated and whinge and complain - if we don't, what will ever change?

Mediocrity isn't ever good enough.

100% agree with this. And I'm not sorry about it but if we cannot keep the jnrs we think are the best at the time then there is not a lot of hope building a competitive team year after year.

Then there's the off field crap and admin that needs fixing. Not to mention an ownership model that suits us and maybe even having a board with a bit of clout.

Firstly id like to preface this by saying i have been a knights supporter since i was a child. They entered the comp when i was five and i went to my first game when i was seven so more or less followed them from the start. Growing up my room was covered in knights posters and flags and i spent more time covering my school books in pictures of players than i did doing school work inside them. Although i didnt get to many games for geographical reasons id say i was as big a knights supporter as anyone alive.

But...

I dont really care much anymore. I still want them to win and might feel an instant of disappointment when they dont. But by and large i dont take much interest. To explain why i would have to break it down into two main groups of reasons.

Firstly i have been more of a rugby league supporter in more recent years. My priority has been àn rl supporter first, knights supporter second. That means i have been more concerned with what each individual, club and governing body does or does not do for the game. Therefore i would be critical of any club that brought the game into disrepute or did something against the games interests. Unfortunately the knights have been guilty of this on a few occasions and that has eroded my interest, culminating in my not renewing my membership this year when the club backed russell packer, a convicted criminal. It must be noted that my interest in rugby league has waned this year in general and in the nrl in particular so its not just the knights. The whole game is becoming even more of a farce and i am watching less games and getting incolved much less. I no longer buy any nrl merchandise or product. Our lads birthday is next week and i got him a catalans jersey. He only owns a few knights things and they are hand me downs from me. He wont be getting any new gear from the nrl. The games administrators are as useless and conflicted as ever and i cant see that changing. I have also had some professional experiences with the knights and aome of its staff and players. Some of the staff were really good. I was less imprwsses with the players. As a kid you assume players are as legendary off the field as on it. As naive as that is it would be nice if it were even remotely true. Nothing like the club and games greatest player turning out to be a druggie to put that rose tinted view to bwd. If they were all danny buderus wed be in great shape.

Anyway, the other problem with the knights for me is the shift away from the club i knew and suspported. It wasnt always very successful but was always full of locally produced players who you could really respect for their loyalty to the club. Now we are just like every other club. Buy them in and ship them out. Few locals. Few country players. Trying to buy a comp. Give me a glanville over a jeremy smith any day. Or a peden over a boyd. Or even an odavis over a boyd. And he wasnt even local but he was loyal to the club throughout even when they werent so loyal to him. Again its symptomatic of the sport as a whole. Its become a game for mercenaries and cheque books. Fans think their club is useless if its not throwing all available cash at any big star who is on the market. Unfortunately the fans have followed suit and seem to only want to follow a winning side regardless of whi fills the jersey. Quite frankly id sooner support a knights that differentiated itself from the rest of the homogenous nrl by committing to developing players from the hunter, north coast and northern inland and sticking with them. If it meant a few lean years then so be it. 1988-1996 included plenty of those but the fans showed up and eventually got the reward of two premierships with an almost entirely home grown group of players. Yes the administration of the club needs to be sorted so that the club survives and can put resources into development. But if its just going to spend money chasing players from sydney and elsewhere in a vain hope of buying a comp id say thats not a good administration no matter how much money it raises for the task.

I will still follow the knights to some extent. When people ask who i support i will still automatically say newcastle and cop whatever reaction follows. But i cant see myself becoming a member again or going to games or buying their gear unless there is a major culture and policy shift in the club and even then my interest will probably still hang on the direction of the sport as a whole.

Yosh

Coach
I've been trying my best to keep following the team even here in South Korea but it's getting harder and harder... I don't expect the team to win week in week out and a prem every year. I think with anything we all want to see some improvement from the club. We've been bad for a while but seems like regressing into 'shit' territory... Extremely frustrating to watch and I hate going on the NRL website or coming here and seeing bad news after bad news...

mozza91

Coach
I've been trying my best to keep following the team even here in South Korea but it's getting harder and harder... I don't expect the team to win week in week out and a prem every year. I think with anything we all want to see some improvement from the club. We've been bad for a while but seems like regressing into 'shit' territory... Extremely frustrating to watch and I hate going on the NRL website or coming here and seeing bad news after bad news...

Keep your chin up mate because things will improve next season. The team will continue to play the good brand of football they played in the back half of this season and will be a top 8 club because of it. It's not all doom and gloom there's more than enough talent in the squad for us to be a contender.

I think it'll be a lot like 09 for us (without a mid year coach sacking & form loss). We'll start very strongly and then it'll be to the players to show long they can continue the form for.

Last edited:

macavity

Referee
I can't speak for anyone else. But the simple fact for me is I have had to force myself to stop caring so much, because it hurts too much. I would never want to literally compare the two, but the closest analogy I can think of is an abusive relationship.

Noname36

First Grade
The GF will be the first finals game I'll watch all series. That's saying something. I never used to miss a finals game Knights or no Knights, but I couldn't care less this year. I've been completely disillusioned by the game recently and the obvious intent of the powers that be to help certain clubs succeed over others. The wrestle has ruined the quality of the product as well.

I'm fed up with the Knights after recent weeks but that's just another contributing factor of a greater issue for me with the game.

Too true all of the above but I have to believe it will turn. I do find it interesting the 'other' club Koukash has been linked to remains unnamed. I bet it is the Titans and he has got cold feet cos of their debt. Searle has to be the biggest toss of a CEO ever. At least Mids did not send us broke with a glorified gymnasium. The NRL have to be joking giving them 3 seperate goes for 3 seperate failures. The GC is the most soulless joint in the nation.

Knight Vision

First Grade
The GF will be the first finals game I'll watch all series. That's saying something. I never used to miss a finals game Knights or no Knights, but I couldn't care less this year. I've been completely disillusioned by the game recently and the obvious intent of the powers that be to help certain clubs succeed over others. The wrestle has ruined the quality of the product as well.

I'm fed up with the Knights after recent weeks but that's just another contributing factor of a greater issue for me with the game.

Pretty much sums up how I feel. The game has compromised its integrity and I just dont feel its a fair competition any longer. Why bother supporting a club that is never allowed to succeed because its not a level playing field. Supporting a club that brings through great players only to have them poached year after year. Unable to bring in outside talent due to our lack of money , success and geographical considerations means that we are doomed to fail year after year. These 3rd part deals other clubs are able to offer makes it impossible for us to compete. How are the Rooster 100 K under the cap and we cant seem to table an offer to our most promising junior players who are our future ? how is it possible ? .....I give up

Whats Doing

Bench
Too true all of the above but I have to believe it will turn. I do find it interesting the 'other' club Koukash has been linked to remains unnamed. I bet it is the Titans and he has got cold feet cos of their debt. Searle has to be the biggest toss of a CEO ever. At least Mids did not send us broke with a glorified gymnasium. The NRL have to be joking giving them 3 seperate goes for 3 seperate failures. The GC is the most soulless joint in the nation.

It ain't the Titans. One of their owners is sinking in $11m into the club

Latest posts