What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats the REAL problem here?

AZ00MD

Juniors
The appointment of Brian Smith to coach the Newcastle Knights in 2007-2008, was to say the least, stupidity. In the past week his poor coaching skills have lead to a massive defeat, on top of that blaming "underpeforming players". How many players have gone so far as we speak?

Why did we employ a coach who had one for 10 years at another club and never won a premiership in those 10 years (maybe it was because swapping with Michael Hagan? who knows).

Are we as fans to put up with this poor coaching and rifts between coaching staff and players or are we going to make a stand against this and stop losing our big name players, and getting the better known players out of 1st Division (or Reserve Grade, don't know what they call it anymore) that have been placed there because of "underperfoming".

Its time to put a stop to this, lets not make the Newcastle Knights another team like Parramatta and get rid of the REAL problem.

Andy.

KniGhTs BaTTLeR

Juniors
AZ00MD said:
The appointment of Brian Smith to coach the Newcastle Knights in 2007-2008, was to say the least, stupidity. In the past week his poor coaching skills have lead to a massive defeat, on top of that blaming "underpeforming players". How many players have gone so far as we speak?

Why did we employ a coach who had one for 10 years at another club and never won a premiership in those 10 years (maybe it was because swapping with Michael Hagan? who knows).

Are we as fans to put up with this poor coaching and rifts between coaching staff and players or are we going to make a stand against this and stop losing our big name players, and getting the better known players out of 1st Division (or Reserve Grade, don't know what they call it anymore) that have been placed there because of "underperfoming".

Its time to put a stop to this, lets not make the Newcastle Knights another team like Parramatta and get rid of the REAL problem.

Andy.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Misanthrope

Staff member

I know. Who on earth would want to support a successful team? :roll:

aqua_duck

Coach
what big name players have we lost? Newton, Woolnough? Seriously those two by all repots were on rep money and never justified it. Sure Smith never won comp at parra, but tat team he had in 2001, which he built from the ground up should have won but for the brilliance of BK and Joey on that glorious day. I'm not expcting Smith to win us a premiership, but I thnk hewill fix up the club, and make us competitive, likehe did at parra and st george. I do have doubts about smiths coaching in big games but what you can't doubt is his professionalism

Jobdog

Live Update Team
I don't believe there is any problem here to start with. Sure, we're undergoing change both as an on-field team and off-field as well. But what is happening now is something that most Knights fans have been calling out for for the last 3-4 years. We have been wanting the club to look outside the square and try to bring in new players because the majority of our "own" players in recent years are not of First grade standard.

Players such as George Carmont, Josh Perry, Clint Newton and Reegan Tanner have polarised people with their half-assed efforts and its about time they were shown the door. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh in my judgment and although this year is a write-off, there are positive times ahead.

AZ00MD

Juniors
Well i hope you are right.

He should manage a business, he seems good at hiring and firing.

sneaky_is_here

Juniors
Sorry to say but i dont think a preimership winning knights team is going to consist of Perry, Carmont, Wooly, tighe, brown etc... like most have said and agree... he is cleaning out dead wood.

Ben

Bench
We have just lost Andrew Johns and you are expecting us to be a premiership force?

There is no way i would've thought that we would have been in such a good position when the inevitability does happen, and Johns does retire. We have been competing well without him, and you can put that down to one man - Brian Smith.

Master Vippo

Juniors
Smith may not have won a premiership, but look at how many club championships Parra won while he was there. That club was always in tip top shape

roopy

Referee
to look a bit into the future - Smith should be shown the door the day his contract is up - and we should bring back Rip as firstgrade coach - but hopefully the job will be done by then.

AZ00MD said:

Andy.

Get the facts straight man before you mouth off. Put a stop to what? One loss and let's throw Smithy to the curb?????? When the signings he has created are announced I promise you that you will be about to do a very big 180 degreee u turn on your views about Brian Smith. Stay tuned. Steve Crowe is playing smoke and mirrors with the media.

Raiding Dazz

Juniors
Brad tight I see as future centre who has great footwork and will get better each year.
I hope the raiders pick him up.
there are the forwards which the knights need to address and get some young up and coming juniors or get a player like BK from canberra again.
The knights will come good and it is wise to rebuild for the future though unwise to let go of players like Milton and Tighe

TooheysNew

Coach
Brad tight I see as future centre who has great footwork and will get better each year.
there are the forwards which the knights need to address and get some young up and coming juniors or get a player like BK from canberra again.
The knights will come good and it is wise to rebuild for the future though unwise to let go of players like Milton and Tighe
Do you watch the Knights play? Ever?

Gene Krupa

Referee
Raiding Dazz said:

Haha. You must have inhaled too much of Carney's tyre smoke! :lol:

AZ00MD

Juniors
As i said (before it got deleted), maybe im wrong.

And i never said i expected a premiership this year. All im saying is, who are all the people he is bringing in? Nobodies from other clubs... i thought we lived in a regional city and supported country clubs and got those people in, as well as import the odd nobody.

I hope to god that their sudden rush of money for salaries doesnt get wasted on an overated Kimmorley.

The worst mistake made last weekend was to have the team look like they were the under 21s team, how many were there? No wonder why we were flogged, they were all too scared facing the likes of Petero Civoniceva :sarcasm:

Seem to making very smart buys so far.... Not one that I disagree with and you'd presume they are comming at fairly cheap rates.

Innconu

Juniors
AZ00MD said:
As i said (before it got deleted), maybe im wrong.

And i never said i expected a premiership this year. All im saying is, who are all the people he is bringing in? Nobodies from other clubs... i thought we lived in a regional city and supported country clubs and got those people in, as well as import the odd nobody.

I hope to god that their sudden rush of money for salaries doesnt get wasted on an overated Kimmorley.

The worst mistake made last weekend was to have the team look like they were the under 21s team, how many were there? No wonder why we were flogged, they were all too scared facing the likes of Petero Civoniceva :sarcasm:

Okay Jack, Clint has signed with Melbourne already so stop trying to make out like it is all Brian Smith's fault :D

Newcastle needs to stop trying to have a selection and retention process based on geography and base it on skill and performance instead. For too long Newcastle has been about jobs for the boys rather then the best possible football team.

Andrew Johns hid the problems with this criteria of selection for the last 5 years and if it does not get changed now we will have the next five wooden spoons in the drawer.

Hang on that may not be so bad I need some new wooden spoons in the kitchen :lol:

Latest posts