What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats the recruitment pass mark?

TrigaTheTiger

Juniors
So, to sum it all up:

Gibbs and Fifita are both gone.

Rumours of losing Moltzen, Lui, Fulton and Heighington.

Worst case scenario, we lose all these guys, whats the pass mark trade off?

Fifita and Heighington I would have liked to keep.

Lui is a huge question mark and Fulton just doesnt seem to be at the same level.

If the gods smile on us and we get Blair and Dugan, what else do we want / need?

Sheens has shown and abject interest in playing our young fullbacks, so we must be getting someone for there.

I just imagine that if we are losing four top 25 forwards, we are going to have to sign more than one to replace them.

If we sign a decent back rower or prop in addition to Blair and Dugan, as have lost some depth, but I suspect we will be in a better possy than we are now.

As we used to say at work during the Asian crisis, "change is constant."

Maybe we are just not used to it enough?

Magpies Forever

Juniors
The first thing that junmps at me is that if we do loose both Lui & Moltzen we are immediately threadbare in halfback options yet again. I hope they can hang on to Miller or its back to the tried, tested and failed Sheens vision of Marshall as the halfback.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Need a genuine prop
Need a quality halfback
Need a genuine outside back with pace
Need a fullback

just one of each will suffice.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Need a genuine prop
Need a quality halfback
Need a genuine outside back with pace
Need a fullback

just one of each will suffice.

Prop will likely come from within, my guess is Groat.
Quality halfback, again from within, probably Miller.
Outside back with pace, again from within. Can't see why we would spend money on outside backs (fullback excluded).
Hopefully Dugan. But I'm not getting my hopes up for this one.

TrigaTheTiger

Juniors
MU - I think you might be reaching for the stars there - !

Im thinking - if we get Blair and Dugan - some might see that as a win, but I feel we have lost a lot of depth. If we are going to be using Miller as half, then I agree, we need another forward or two and an outside back.

Given Lawrence and Ayshfords long term contracts, its likely to be a winger I would have thought.

How can we not have a SINGLE winger in the lower grades that master coach is keen to promote?

SOMEONE must have some speed there!

It would not matter if we signed Dugan, Blair and Folau.

Without a quality number 7, we will continue to be also rans.

How can we not have a SINGLE winger in the lower grades that master coach is keen to promote?

SOMEONE must have some speed there![/QUOTE]

A bloke who played one or two first grade games years ago (promoted by Sheens) who has returned to BRET is Keith Eshman. Was highly rated, don't know how he is going. But was tall and fast. Has only had two games back to footy though...

Fordy20

Juniors
Personally I think the recruitment pass mark is not in who is signed, but rather how efficient this clean out is. If the razor gang went as deep as it is rumoured to be going, we should expect to see following players moving on:

- Moltzen
- Lui
- Fulton
- Heighington
- Ryan
- Brown
- Utai

I'd be sorry to see some of these blokes go, just as I'm sorry to see Gibbs and Fifita moving on, but if the club is serious about this clean out, all of these blokes would be looking over their shoulder and indeed are some already searching for other clubs if the rumours are to be believed.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
kinda wish we had've hung onto lazarus, purely as a depth player in the halves.

Josh reynolds or pita godinet from nsw cup are young and very good halves who would be handy depth signings too.

And i reckon there might be another 2 players to be added to the list in the post above by fordy.

DanOz

Juniors
It would not matter if we signed Dugan, Blair and Folau.

Without a quality number 7, we will continue to be also rans.

And yet we continue to pay overs for back rowers and wingers. It makes as much sense as extending the contract of a coach who has made the semis once in the last 5 years.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
There has been a fair bit of talk lately about signing (or promoting) backs with plenty of pace.

I was watching the news the other night and I don't even know the guys name but he was the centre or wing playing for the Queensland Reds in the Union (No.14). It really hit home how essential a very fast, hard running back is to a team. Every break Quade Cooper made he was there to finish off....can he play League????

Man it also highlighted how much we have missed Lawrence!!!