What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's unfolding on twitter?

billy2

Juniors
He's a guy who had a stranglehold on the sport in the US who didn't want to give it up. When democracy insisted he did the split ocurred and he used the fact that the AMNRL is still considered the national governing body to exclude players from representing. The RLIF can change that very quickly. And should.
If they alienate half the league community in the US, everyone loses - everyone.

They won't alienate half the league community. The AMNRL doesn't even account for half the clubs. And if the RLIF went in and said get your shit together and work as one body, democratically, it would only be Niu and a few of his cronies who would lose out. The people who just want to play the game would fall into line. Either that or just make the USARL the official governing body and watch most of the AMNRL clubs/players switch. Everyone wins in the long run except for the handful of AMNRL clowns who caused this trouble in the first place.

clarency

Juniors
Swing and a miss.... and you're also facing the catcher.

look from the teams that play in the AMNRL only 2 had players drawn for the tomahawks so ill never agree with that

2 players from the AMNRL made it to the national team because only 2 players from the AMNRL were good enough to play in the national team.

0 players from the USARL made it to the national team because the selectors were trying to sway the better players away from the USARL teams.

You're argument is essentially "barely any AMNRL players made it anyway so it doesn't matter". Which is dumb.

but those teams in the USARL up and left and knew what they were giving up. it was their choice. its like having your cake and eating it too. you cant bad mouth the way someone does something then ask to be part of it

All the teams wanted was some proper organisation and reasonable transparency with what was going on. Niu refused so they had no choice. It's your standard dictatorship, the thing that Hitler was. The guy that killed lots of those.. ye'know.... .... ....Pakistanis.

once again this is case and point both organizations punishing their players none of which had a say in the split. when everyone needs to put their hands in somthing this is what happens.

Actually they were all given a say in the split through their decision on which team to play for. And the USARL didn't punish their own players, the AMNRL did by not allowing them eligibility to play for the national team.

so what theyre voicing their opinion on twitter, big deal. you know damn well its killing the other side not opening their mouths bc theyre gonna take the "high road". its all a show ladies and gentlemen. its pretty rediculous that grown men have to act like this.

Of course it's ridiculous. It begs the question why would you allow such a child be the sole authority on the entire league? I may not be from the USA but I've been following the league in USA for a long damn time, and I can say in the short time I've seen USARL operating, it has been far far more professional than anything AMNRL has stapled together (And there is your basis for USARL - div 1, AMNRL - div 2).

im sure there will be many more threads like this so strap in and enjoy the ride. all the political BS aside, this year may be the year of the shark!!!!

Sorry mate, money is on Knights as usual. Keep pushing for some cross comp games eh?

billy2

Juniors
They won't alienate half the league community. The AMNRL doesn't even account for half the clubs. And if the RLIF went in and said get your shit together and work as one body, democratically, it would only be Niu and a few of his cronies who would lose out. The people who just want to play the game would fall into line. Either that or just make the USARL the official governing body and watch most of the AMNRL clubs/players switch. Everyone wins in the long run except for the handful of AMNRL clowns who caused this trouble in the first place.
That's all wishfull thinking.
You wish the guys who have worked hardest for the game can be just rolled and all will be sweet, and when it doesn't happen you will say - well who could have seen that coming - and the answer is, anyone who put 10 minutes thought into it.
You can't bully people into falling into line and working hard for a vision they don't believe in. That's the mistake Niu made, and the mistake you want the RLIF to make too.
If the 'solution' excludes people, they just walk to the code they play for the other half of the year.

A unified body would only exclude the dictatorship. The rank and file just want to play the game. Under a unified body they will do that. They don't believe in Niu's vision, whatever that is. They just want to play and nothing will exclude them from doing so. The only way players will be excluded is under the status quo and it will be the majority of players who are excluded from representing. A split is unacceptable and has to come to an end at some time. Might as well be via the RLIF right now. Your solution is not a solution. It's inaction. It's bowing to a dictatorship. It's ignoring the problem. You should work for the NRL.

billy2

Juniors
A unified body would only exclude the dictatorship. The rank and file just want to play the game. Under a unified body they will do that. They don't believe in Niu's vision, whatever that is. They just want to play and nothing will exclude them from doing so. The only way players will be excluded is under the status quo and it will be the majority of players who are excluded from representing. A split is unacceptable and has to come to an end at some time. Might as well be via the RLIF right now. Your solution is not a solution. It's inaction. It's bowing to a dictatorship. It's ignoring the problem. You should work for the NRL.
Do you really think the guy who got hundreds of people playing the game and has been instrumental in putting together every game and every tour of the Tomahaks for over a decade doesn't have a single friend?
If it wasn't for his personal following the AMNRL would have rolled over last year.
Even his worst 'enemy' has respect for him. It's just complete outsiders who don't think he has to be part of the solution.

Do you really think hundreds of people play the game directly because he is the boss and because he runs the league the way he does? Or do you think 90% of players play because they want to play the sport and would still play it even if their clubs switched to a united administration and Niu was shown the door? I reckon I know which is probably the more true suggestion of the two.

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
once again im taking no sides, but why does everyone put the AMNRL as a second tier division? A lot of talk from people not even in the united states about the goings on here who really dont know the whole story. Dispite the long winded, big word riddled so called press releases and fancy websites and such from both comps its not all pretty. there are alot of problems on both sides of the fence. Both comps have strong sides and weak sides who last season all did what they could on the pitch. If were talking about representing our country, i wish more of the boys who play here got the chance. i dont believe in that grandfather rule bs. your either American or your not, you shouldnt be able to play for a country that your great great grandmother/father was from. for someone who plays in the AMNRL i do not agree with more than half the stuff that goes on but asking one man to step aside is wrong in my eyes. i think eveyone who has a position of "power"(and i use that term very loosly) should take a look at the situation from both ends and put their egos aside. There is alot to be done to mend what has happend. hopfully we will get a resolution that agrees with everyone.

Unless the Tomahawks are breaking the rules they can't play. I'm sure the grandparent rule only reaches as fair back (as the name suggests) as the grandparents. If it's a great or a great, great grandparent then a player is not eligible.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Delusional people want to keep the power because they think the code will make them millions one day.

Fat f**king chance.

Choo Choo

Juniors
The Slayers just want to play RL in a competitive comp and we've accomplished that this season. The reasons for the split have already been run to ground in this forum so I'm not going to say anything about that anymore. Obviously there was bad blood, but we eventually got over it and don't really care what the AMNRL is doing; we wish them only success in the future. I do take offense to the comment that we knew what we were doing and punished players. From the beginning of the split, we told every player what was going on and why we were leaving the AMNRL. We formally offered our players for selection to the Tomahawks and each one was free to make their own decision. NO ONE left the Slayers. If you want to talk about loyalty and integrity, then that's a prime example. We love RL and only want it to succeed. When we were with the AMNRL we supported it 100%; now we are 100% behind the USARL. As an equal voting member for the USARL, our rep on the board will vote for what we believe is in the best interest for the game in the US.

all great points and its funny everyone on here makes more sense than this entire situation combined. i think we can all agree that the only way to move is forward. I wish we still played teams like the slayers, axemen and fight. they were always the best games. im hoping we can set up some pre season cross comp games. maybe that will get the ball rolling in the right direction.

langpark

First Grade
I'm not very well read on the USA or Italy situation, I suppose because I hate the 'political' side of the game so have never been interested in reading into it.

But why don't the RLIF grow a pair and ban these nations indefinitely until the two fighting sides can come to an agreement? FIFA have done it many times to various nations with internal disputes and it usually always fixes the problem. It should have been done a year ago so the the USA wouldn't have been able to play WC qualifiers until their issues were solved...

Evil Homer

Staff member
Do you really think the guy who got hundreds of people playing the game and has been instrumental in putting together every game and every tour of the Tomahaks for over a decade doesn't have a single friend?
If it wasn't for his personal following the AMNRL would have rolled over last year.
Even his worst 'enemy' has respect for him. It's just complete outsiders who don't think he has to be part of the solution.
Can't you see that there is a problem if a group of people are only playing because they are mates with the guy who owns the league, and that is the sole reason for a league existing? Can't you understand what is wrong with that? Clearly the vast majority of people involved in RL in the USA did not want Niu to be part of the solution, as they took the drastic step of breaking away from his dictatorship and forming their own competition, and they have been vilified since then by those who are part of the clique that they wanted to get away from. Nobody is trying to 'demonise' anyone, the AMNRL demonise themselves by their actions.

Evil Homer

Staff member
all great points and its funny everyone on here makes more sense than this entire situation combined. i think we can all agree that the only way to move is forward. I wish we still played teams like the slayers, axemen and fight. they were always the best games. im hoping we can set up some pre season cross comp games. maybe that will get the ball rolling in the right direction.
Genuine question, if those teams provide the best games then why do the Sharks choose to play in the AMNRL, where it appears that there are only two other competitive teams? Not trying to cause problems, I'm genuinely curious.

amnrlfan

Juniors
Its a shame that both sides can't work it out and it seems that one side would be willing and the other not. Those who sh*t on the USARL on this forum and everywhere else are only hurting Rugby League in USA. They split for a good reason and I feel like everyone else is getting a good look at why.

PacificCoastRL

Juniors
There is no reason why Niu can't be part of the solution. But at this point he chooses not to be part of the solution, but rather, the road block to that solution.

ill be happy to answer your question. If you look back in Sharks history we never gained or lost anything from being part of the AMNRL. We didnt feel the need to switch over and thought it would be business as usual like it has been for the last 12 years or so. We never wanted to be in the middle of all of this and im sure it will work itself out. When the sharks sat out a season, our players and coaches went to the fight so we still have very close ties to the USARL. Could there be a change for us in the future, only time will tell. we have a board for a reason and we'll move forward with whats best for us as a team. Both comps are filled with great competition so of course its gonna suck taking the teams i mentioned out of the mix. ive said it many times before, if we could we would be an idependent club if it were possible. You also can bet that no one and i mean no one on the sharks is in any inner circle of the AMNRL. If you ask anyone whos been around RL here for a long time they know the sharks have always been the misfit toys and it works for us. i apologize for some of my prior comments and hope everyone realizes our stance. look for big changes this season for the sharks. if anyone out there wants to have a run with us we have some accomidations available.

Goddo

Bench
billy, your argument has massive holes.

You seem to be saying "Nui worked hard and got people involved in League, therefore he should be entitled to retain his authoritarian position within the game."

I'd argue that his skill set is TOTALLY unsuited to being CEO of a domestic league competition (which is what the game is slowly evolving into). A club run structure like the USARL is the way to go.

He would be best suited to running a development league and using his enthusiasm to get more people involved. The devil is in the detail, and he is not good at that.

Take the most financially secure sides from the AMNRL and put them in the USARL, and turn the AMNRL into a second division and development league. Nui could head that and the national side then, but the main domestic comp would be run by the USARL.

Last edited:

deal.with.it

Juniors
The Peter mentioned in Camac's twitter posts has been confirmed as Peter Illfield, Chairman of the USARL and Philli Fight head coach.
So the chairman of the RLIF (Scott Carter i believe?) has a relationship with Peter Illfield?
Is anyone willing to have a guess at how this will end? Please be realistic.
I can't see Niu losing the Tomahawks. But i can see him having to get on with USARL and form one comp.

If the USARL and AMNRL formed one comp, we'd have plenty of teams. And if the teams were made to follow the footsteps of AYRLA? and the RIR, it wouldn't be long (maybe 3 years) before we would have a couple more age groups (maybe under 16s and under 18s).

If this happened, I would think they would be more attractive for broadcasting and sponsors. I remember when the Australian Rugby Championship (domestic comp during the Super 14s off season) paid the ABC to broadcast one match per week. Does anyone know how much this cost them? I think it would only take one season on tv to show the public the game and then popularity increases, and a broadcaster would take it on. Its a big gamble. Massive gamble. But it could work if everyone was unified, and each team could get a few sponsors each to help out. I might be way off here with the amount it costs to broadcast. Even if it was just for the playoffs part of the season. Maybe just 4 matches or something...
I'm just throwing ideas up in any old way and hoping someone can make a bit of sense out of it. Thanks

Lone Ranger

Juniors
If this happened, I would think they would be more attractive for broadcasting and sponsors. I remember when the Australian Rugby Championship (domestic comp during the Super 14s off season) paid the ABC to broadcast one match per week. Does anyone know how much this cost them? I think it would only take one season on tv to show the public the game and then popularity increases, and a broadcaster would take it on. Its a big gamble. Massive gamble. But it could work if everyone was unified, and each team could get a few sponsors each to help out. I might be way off here with the amount it costs to broadcast. Even if it was just for the playoffs part of the season. Maybe just 4 matches or something...
I'm just throwing ideas up in any old way and hoping someone can make a bit of sense out of it. Thanks

The only way the AMNRL & USARL will unite is if one of the leagues fold. This will force clubs to either fold or join the league left standing. I doubt any of the USARL will go back to the way things were and I think it's unlikely any of the AMNRL clubs (maybe NY) have the budget to compete in the USARL comp.

One thing is for sure, the AMNRL have woken from a 10 year slumber and are busy banging the drum on appointments and key roles. It would be interesting to see who these people report to and to what capacity.

Latest posts