What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's wrong with our Recruitment???

sharky1973

Juniors
Can anyone tell me why our recruitment is amongst the worst in the League?

Almost every other team has exciting youngsters coming through the grades or breaking into first grade, especially the likes of Melbourne, Wests Tigers and Parra, and of course teams like Canterbury and St George always seem to have good young talent coming through.

Not us.

Okay, Luke Douglas is an outstanding prospect, but when was the last time a youngster really burst onto the scene in a big way from our club?

The last one i remember was Adam Ritson whom we lost in the Super League war.

What the hell is going on? Why isn't anyone being held accountable for our terrible recruitment.

Interested to hear what others think.

spider

Coach
Our recruitment is a laughing stock - along with our ability to hold onto any potential we may find or develop

McLovin

Staff member
Once you get past the Shire lifestyle, which is pretty much our only drawcard, there's nothing much. Why the fugg would anyone want to play with/under a coach like Raper?? or a half like Kimmorley (anymore)??

Sideline Eye

Juniors
its not so much our bad recruiting but our total disregard of local juniors.
the coaching structure doesn't know how to bring thru the juniors.
look at the tigers, sheens gives the young hungry ones a shot, for more than one week that is, and develops their confidence and positional play.

spider

Coach
Sideline Eye said:
look at the tigers, sheens gives the young hungry ones a shot, for more than one week that is, and develops their confidence and positional play.

Is it only at that level Sideline (coaching level i mean) or is it the means above that put the constraints on it happening?

Sideline Eye

Juniors
Its always above...big barry and his troops, but raper has got too big for his boots as well.....as adrian lam!!!!!!!!!!!

ali

Bench
Sideline Eye said:

Outside of this year (which has been ruined by injury), our Flegg teams have been in the top 4 or so every year for the last 3. Unfortunately for some reason the kids get little direction between Flegg and first grade. I also believe some are let go too soon. The retention decisions often baffle me. I still think recruitment of youngsters is one area we are doing ok. The only thing I'd change, is to try and sign players at a slightly younger age and look a little more outside the square, e.g PNG. Melbourne signed Greg Inglis at age 15. We aren't looking at anyone outside the Shire who is younger than 17. By that time, most of the outstanding prospects are signed to clubs. Our only hope is to temp them with money and a gift run to first grade, e.g. Bird, or get lucky, e.g. Douglas.

The Popper

Bench
Sideline Eye said:
They used to, SE. Those fine teams of the late 70's and 90's. Now they seem to hold our juniors in disdain. It must be crook for these young blokes...wanting to play for the Sharks more than anything else, and being told to pyss off.
Does not surprise that these decisions come `from the top'.

Latest posts