What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's wrong with Thurston?

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was at the game last night and I must say, Thurston seemed completely uninterested.

His last tackle options more often than not were thoughtless (especially when on the Bronco's line) and lacked any real spark. His kicks were few and those he made weren't placed with his usual precision, he didn't run the ball too often.

Once Thurston loses his touch, the whole Cowboys attack loses its spark. Bowen was wandering around like a Brown cow, he didn't know what he was supposed to do, he was trying to do things, but he didn't know what things he should be doing.

If Thurston's form continues this way, he won't be wearing a maroon jumper, or an Australian one.

Has he been brought back from his shoulder operation too early?

I've never seen him this reserved and timid on the footy field before, it's almost concerning to be honest.

Raider_69

Post Whore
He's playing the worst footy ive seen from him at the moment
and he's obviously frustrated because he's becoming a niggle merchant too

fulltime

Juniors
what apart from him being an arrogant, spoilt, board protected f/wit who is the biggest whiny bitch in the game not much else is wrong.

Ice777

Bench
It's concerning alright, he's taking up $220K on my fantasy footy team so he's getting the arse in the next round of trades. Dead weight in my team and dead weight for the Cows atm.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
With Thurston's form being on a par with Joe Williams, and the Cowboys defence still lacking, the Cowboys could be looking at a return to their 1995 form.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Queensland yes, Australian, not sure.

I tell you what though, Lewis last night played pretty damn close to perfect.

With the NSW halfback role up for grabs, I reckon he's gotta be coming into calculations.

Fatdog

Juniors
there was also the "joey johns mouthguard throw".

BTW I noticed that he was wearing a shoulder sling. Having worn one of these myself why playing I can tell you that they are very effective in proptecting your shouldr from dislocating. But they also restrict your arm movement by about 50%. I played one game wearing one and it made it dam near impossible to pass and tackle properly. this may have contributed to his lacklustre performance. although he did seem to play alright in round 1.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fatdog said:
there was also the "joey johns mouthguard throw".

BTW I noticed that he was wearing a shoulder sling. Having worn one of these myself why playing I can tell you that they are very effective in proptecting your shouldr from dislocating. But they also restrict your arm movement by about 50%. I played one game wearing one and it made it dam near impossible to pass and tackle properly. this may have contributed to his lacklustre performance. although he did seem to play alright in round 1.
It doesn't explain his completely sh*thouse kicking game, and lack of kicking.

He just didn't seem at all interested in playing footy last night.

It reeks of Thurston not being fit and still carrying injuries.

The Cowboys heavy reliance on him will be their downfall.

Thye have the Eels next week at home...could go either way.

Vicious

Bench
I don`t thnk he`s going as bad as most of you are making out. I`ve watched all the Cowboys games so far this season quite closely and they only have one player in Luke O`Donnell who is running onto the ball at speed. Rival teams have noted this and are heavily marking Thurston, Bowen and O`Donnell. Ben Harris has been going ok as was Ash Graham before injury, but the rest of them are all playing well below par, possibly excusing Carl Webb and Ray Cashmere who are going just ok.
It doesn`t matter how good you are, if there are a handfull of passengers in your side, it does make things very hard !

_Johnsy

Referee
I know it is early, but if the cows do not win 5 of their next 7 games, they are gone for 08.

mepelthwack

Juniors
Raider_69 said:
He's playing the worst footy ive seen from him at the moment
and he's obviously frustrated because he's becoming a niggle merchant too

Becoming? You are mistaken Sir because even when he plays like world no 1 I would suggest he is still a niggle merchant (and chronic whinger, official abuser).

_Johnsy

Referee
Ice777 said:
It's concerning alright, he's taking up $220K on my fantasy footy team so he's getting the arse in the next round of trades. Dead weight in my team and dead weight for the Cows atm.

Yep thursto gone, welcome in soward.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vicious said:
I don`t thnk he`s going as bad as most of you are making out. I`ve watched all the Cowboys games so far this season quite closely and they only have one player in Luke O`Donnell who is running onto the ball at speed. Rival teams have noted this and are heavily marking Thurston, Bowen and O`Donnell. Ben Harris has been going ok as was Ash Graham before injury, but the rest of them are all playing well below par, possibly excusing Carl Webb and Ray Cashmere who are going just ok.
It doesn`t matter how good you are, if there are a handfull of passengers in your side, it does make things very hard !
That's more to deal with their defence though, which is more lacklustre than last season.

Thurston isn't getting involved in attack anywhere near as much as he should.

There were times last night when he was trying to hide from getting the footy. Just look at his option on the Broncos line in the second half, no kicks, he just catched and passed.

Wallace on the other hand was running second phase plays all night with a Bronco's team missing some of it's big guns, like Hunt, Lockyer, Clinton and Parker.

Imagine what the score could have been if those guys played.

You can usually always bank on the cowboys to score 2-3 tries a game, win lose or draw, and that's been their greatest weapon.

But at the moment, their attack is on par with that of Souths, the difference between the two is that Souths can defend 10 times better than the cowboys.

Karmawave

Bench
Wow you guys are being way too harsh on Thurston.

He is playing behind a forward pack that just isn't getting beaten, they are getting smashed!

To me, JT seems the ONLY one who is showing competitive spirit out there. Its everyone else who looks disinterested!

He is tackling his ass off, he is covering up grubber kicks, leaping for balls in goal ( the job of the fullback ), and almost every single try the opposition scores, its JT making the last desperate attempt of tackle, or there abouts to the try scorer.

Throwing the mouthguard and stuff, and frustration shouldn't be seen as him being petulant as much as it shows competitiveness and the fact he obviously cares that the Cowboys suck right now.

He certainly seems to care a lot more than most of the others on the team.

JT's form isn't bad at all. As for Matt Bowen however...

lockyrulz

Juniors
Arron Payne and Bowen need to be doing more out of dummy half befoee thurston can get settled.

They should just sack Murray today, get it over with, and restart there year.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Karmawave said:
Wow you guys are being way too harsh on Thurston.

He is playing behind a forward pack that just isn't getting beaten, they are getting smashed!

To me, JT seems the ONLY one who is showing competitive spirit out there. Its everyone else who looks disinterested!

He is tackling his ass off, he is covering up grubber kicks, leaping for balls in goal ( the job of the fullback ), and almost every single try the opposition scores, its JT making the last desperate attempt of tackle, or there abouts to the try scorer.
Once again, all defensive things he may be doing. But he's doing nothing in attack. And that's what he is renowned for.

Throwing the mouthguard and stuff, and frustration shouldn't be seen as him being petulant as much as it shows competitiveness and the fact he obviously cares that the Cowboys suck right now.

He certainly seems to care a lot more than most of the others on the team.

JT's form isn't bad at all. As for Matt Bowen however...
Matt Bowen to me is playing ordinary, but it looks to me as though he's trying to take pressure off Thurston in attack.

And it's not working.

Latest posts