What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When a pet dies..

Hi LU folk,

Not looking to bring morbidity to the forums at all.. Overnight I lost a pet of mine - of all things a turtle - and am absolutely gutted. Vets tried to save him but alas it was in vain. Dunno if anyone has had a turtle as a pet - but they are brilliant and have much of the character of dogs...I'm not kidding... Anyway..

But that's not why I'm posting here, not a sympathy-seeker at all (leave that crap to facebook lovers).

It's just that in my life I've lost two pets. And both times the feeling of loss has far exceeded when a friend, relative etc has passed on. And I've been thinking to myself why is this the case?

Anyone else have this kind of thing too? And theories?

Like in movies - I've never flinched if character goes down.. but if an animal does ...

Cheers

Eion

First Grade
I reckon its because people are often douchebags, but personality pets like dogs are often innocent and unconditionally loyal.

Had to put my oldies dog down when they were away. Barely knew the thing but was a friggen wreck at the vets :joy:.

But I reckon there’s only so much ongoing angst to the loss of a pet. If you lost a very close friend or parent you’re close to....or god forbid a kid..it would be different for you I’m sure.

Either that or you’re a psycho...

DlEHARD

Juniors
Sorry about your loss. I think it's good to post here and discuss, for yourself and the others who don't post with similar experiences.

I always wanted a turtle. Ever since watching TMNT as a kid. I live in Hong Kong now and a turtle is a popular pet. I saw one at a pet shop once and it was mimicking my head movements. Gee I should have bought him. But I want to make sure I can keep and look after a pet, if I move back to Oz.

It makes sense why we mourn our pets. They are our confidants and constant companions. I'm sure many of us have have talked through our problems with our pets, that we wouldn't share with others. They are also so dependent and innocent. They need us. So they are like children. We also feel that we are their protectors, so if something happens it hits home. We also project a lot of ourselves on them, their personalities.

I'm sure you really loved and looked after your pet. And I hope you get another one in the future.

I reckon its because people are often douchebags, but personality pets like dogs are often innocent and unconditionally loyal.

Had to put my oldies dog down when they were away. Barely knew the thing but was a friggen wreck at the vets :joy:.

But I reckon there’s only so much ongoing angst to the loss of a pet. If you lost a very close friend or parent you’re close to....or god forbid a kid..it would be different for you I’m sure.

Either that or you’re a psycho...

ha cheers. Nah definitely not the last option - it's just so different with animals. A few guys here have hit the nail on the head - @The Charlatan & @veggiepatch1959. And I know what you mean about being a wreck. I've just returned from the vets a little while ago to see him, and do all the mop-up, fees etc.

Sorry about your loss. I think it's good to post here and discuss, for yourself and the others who don't post with similar experiences.

I always wanted a turtle. Ever since watching TMNT as a kid. I live in Hong Kong now and a turtle is a popular pet. I saw one at a pet shop once and it was mimicking my head movements. Gee I should have bought him. But I want to make sure I can keep and look after a pet, if I move back to Oz.

It makes sense why we mourn our pets. They are our confidants and constant companions. I'm sure many of us have have talked through our problems with our pets, that we wouldn't share with others. They are also so dependent and innocent. They need us. So they are like children. We also feel that we are their protectors, so if something happens it hits home. We also project a lot of ourselves on them, their personalities.

I'm sure you really loved and looked after your pet. And I hope you get another one in the future.

Cheers mate and quality post. You've nailed it.

You're right about the turtle mimicking you. If you have the chance I'd highly recommend getting one however they need a lot of caring and have a long lifespan. eg my breed was an Eastern Longneck which estimate 40yrs lifespan sadly he was only just over 5 years old.

horrie hastings

First Grade
I’m looking at my cat now, or at least her urn with her ashes in it, that was the hardest day of my life when we took her into the vet for the final time and I held her as she had the injection to put her to sleep. She was such a great cat, I had her as an indoor outdoor cat for the first few years in my rental property then when I bought a home unit with my life long partner the cat became a complete indoor cat although she did have a nice out door balcony to go out on, she adapted to being an indoor cat very well, never jumped up on anything or scratched any furniture,had her couple of spots where she liked to sleep, she had such a beautiful, peaceful placid nature, even though it was 9 years ago since she passed away I still miss her, I started tearing up while typing this

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss mate.
We’ve recently lost a long time member of our family. We had her (bull terrier) for 15 years. She was older than our kids,we were all absolutely devastated. Any pet is part of the family, as they say all creatures great & small....I’ve never balled my eyes out as much as I did that day.

I’m looking at my cat now, or at least her urn with her ashes in it, that was the hardest day of my life when we took her into the vet for the final time and I held her as she had the injection to put her to sleep. She was such a great cat, I had her as an indoor outdoor cat for the first few years in my rental property then when I bought a home unit with my life long partner the cat became a complete indoor cat although she did have a nice out door balcony to go out on, she adapted to being an indoor cat very well, never jumped up on anything or scratched any furniture,had her couple of spots where she liked to sleep, she had such a beautiful, peaceful placid nature, even though it was 9 years ago since she passed away I still miss her, I stated tearing up while typing this
We’ve got our old girl in an urn as well with a picture. We all remember the good times we had with her, she was 2 when my young bloke was born. Then we cry....again.

Sorry for your loss mate.
We’ve recently lost a long time member of our family. We had her (bull terrier) for 15 years. She was older than our kids,we were all absolutely devastated. Any pet is part of the family, as they say all creatures great & small....I’ve never balled my eyes out as much as I did that day.

And sorry for yours too mate.

The only time I've seen my old man in a state was when he brought our German Shepherd back from the vet after the poor old fella had to be put down - back in my teens. I met dad at home, grabbed a shovel - and we went down to the nearby bushland from our house and buried him. Both in bits - we didnt say a word to each other through the whole thing. Just shook hands at the end. Geez that dog was special, as yours was too..

And sorry for yours too mate.

The only time I've seen my old man in a state was when he brought our German Shepherd back from the vet after the poor old fella had to be put down - back in my teens. I met dad at home, grabbed a shovel - and we went down to the nearby bushland from our house and buried him. Both in bits - we didnt say a word to each other through the whole thing. Just shook hands at the end. Geez that dog was special, as yours was too..
Yeah that’s only time I’ve seen my old man in a state as well. Sasha the German Shepard! Bloody Shepard’s... great dogs. He cursed that animal for digging a hole etc lol but he adored her as well.

horrie hastings

First Grade
We’ve got our old girl in an urn as well with a picture. We all remember the good times we had with her, she was 2 when my young bloke was born. Then we cry....again.

Have quite a few pics of Smudge around the place, a favourite of mine is one where she is sitting in a pot plant on the balcony, I have it on the chest of drawers in the bed room. She was 13 years old so had a good life but seeing she was indoors for most of it I thought she may have lived a bit longer. As you say you remember all the good times and there would have been plenty of those. My cat was called Smudge but we often shortened it to Mudgee, I had a saying when we used to come home and walk in the front door, we are home Mudgee and you used to get this nice welcoming meow, nine years after her death I still often walk in the front door and say, were home Mudgee, it just reminds me of the good times when I was happy to get home and see her and even today it just makes me happy to be home and feel safe when I walk in the front door.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Sorry about your lose.

Two words - unconditional love.

Strangely, only pets & babies/toddlers/young children and majority of parents give it.

Had to bury a number of pet dogs over the years (part of the family) & it doesn't get any easier - if only their lifespan was as long as ours.

Have quite a few pics of Smudge around the place, a favourite of mine is one where she is sitting in a pot plant on the balcony, I have it on the chest of drawers in the bed room. She was 13 years old so had a good life but seeing she was indoors for most of it I thought she may have lived a bit longer. As you say you remember all the good times and there would have been plenty of those. My cat was called Smudge but we often shortened it to Mudgee, I had saying when we used to come home and walk in the front door, we are home Mudgee and you used to get this nice welcoming meow, nine years after her death I still often walk in the front door and say, were home Mudgee, it just reminds me of the good times when I was happy to get home and see her and even today it just makes me happy to be home and feel safe when I walk in the front door.
Yeah I hear ya. I still accidentally call our little Bully now pol pol....after Polly. Even though her name is Bonnie