What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When a pet dies..

Sorry about your lose.

Two words - unconditional love.

Strangely, only pets & babies/toddlers/young children and majority of parents give it.

Had to bury a number of pet dogs over the years (part of the family) & it doesn't get any easier - if only their lifespan was as long as ours.
That’s it mate. We love them dearly but unfortunately they don’t live as long as us.

The Rosco

Bench
BBJF,
Sorry for your loss . . . I have an Eastern long neck too. They are a great pet. When I get back from fishing and am filleting fish at the kitchen sink, from his tank in the next room he knows what's coming up and is literally climbing and stamping on the water to get his fish bits. Anyway, I don't want to bring back too many memories for you.
As far as feeling the loss more . . . well, I guess it comes down to the sudden-ness of his passing, and maybe you just loved him a little more than you thought.
If he was sick and the vet said he's got 3 months . . . you kind of prepare yourself for it. But if it's unannounced and especially premature, it hurts more.
And like most have said, a pet gives itself unconditionally. A trait hardly found in us mere mortals.
Chin up mate.

Lambretta

First Grade
Even though he’s essentially completely useless (he basically sleeps, eats, meows at me and shits in a box) Id be absolutely devastated if my cat died. I love the fat bastard.

He gets you a truck load of kudos on Facebook, the fat f**ker

He's a pretty cool cat all things said

___

Juniors
Hi LU folk,

Not looking to bring morbidity to the forums at all.. Overnight I lost a pet of mine - of all things a turtle - and am absolutely gutted. Vets tried to save him but alas it was in vain. Dunno if anyone has had a turtle as a pet - but they are brilliant and have much of the character of dogs...I'm not kidding... Anyway..

But that's not why I'm posting here, not a sympathy-seeker at all (leave that crap to facebook lovers).

It's just that in my life I've lost two pets. And both times the feeling of loss has far exceeded when a friend, relative etc has passed on. And I've been thinking to myself why is this the case?

Anyone else have this kind of thing too? And theories?

Like in movies - I've never flinched if character goes down.. but if an animal does ...

Cheers
I would strongly suggest you NOT to watch A Dogs Purpose. Strongly.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1753383/?ref_=nv_sr_1

AJB1102

First Grade
Obviously a movie where a dog dies is a shit movie but I can't cop those animal protective service programs either. Just makes ya feel terrible seeing the extreme neglect. Great that these people and protective units like that exist but not my idea of chilling out watching it.

BBJF,
Sorry for your loss . . . I have an Eastern long neck too. They are a great pet. When I get back from fishing and am filleting fish at the kitchen sink, from his tank in the next room he knows what's coming up and is literally climbing and stamping on the water to get his fish bits. Anyway, I don't want to bring back too many memories for you.
As far as feeling the loss more . . . well, I guess it comes down to the sudden-ness of his passing, and maybe you just loved him a little more than you thought.
If he was sick and the vet said he's got 3 months . . . you kind of prepare yourself for it. But if it's unannounced and especially premature, it hurts more.
And like most have said, a pet gives itself unconditionally. A trait hardly found in us mere mortals.
Chin up mate.

Cheers mate, appreciate your words. I'm all fine and the more time passes the more I can smile about having him, rather than purely feel the agony of losing him.

Yeah they are awesome little creatures. My little fella was exactly the same when I was carving up some fish for him. As you'll know - they are generally excited whenever you appear to them - like coming home to a dog he'd get all excited.... I'd get him out of the tank and he'd have a scurry around.. then often he'd come up to wherever I was sitting and rest his head on my foot, nod off etc.. Sometimes I didn't have the heart to move for ages and wake him up..

Yeah his was very premature, too soon mate, too soon. Wont go into too much depth, but he went downhill quick and when I took him to the vet they x-rayed him and found he'd swallowed a river stone. They can usually get them out OK but try as the vets might to safely remove it they couldn't...

Ok I'll stop rambling...

Trust your little fella is cracking on just great mate.

Lambretta

First Grade
I would strongly suggest you NOT to watch A Dogs Purpose. Strongly.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1753383/?ref_=nv_sr_1

I'd say the opposite - yeah, sure (spoiler alert) the dogs die, but the story has a really nice feel good factor
I'm not saying he won't be blubbing like a baby, hell, we all were. But in the end its a story about how soulmates will find their place and how dogs make our World a better place.

I recommend watch

The Rosco

Bench
Cheers mate, appreciate your words. I'm all fine and the more time passes the more I can smile about having him, rather than purely feel the agony of losing him.

Yeah they are awesome little creatures. My little fella was exactly the same when I was carving up some fish for him. As you'll know - they are generally excited whenever you appear to them - like coming home to a dog he'd get all excited.... I'd get him out of the tank and he'd have a scurry around.. then often he'd come up to wherever I was sitting and rest his head on my foot, nod off etc.. Sometimes I didn't have the heart to move for ages and wake him up..

Yeah his was very premature, too soon mate, too soon. Wont go into too much depth, but he went downhill quick and when I took him to the vet they x-rayed him and found he'd swallowed a river stone. They can usually get them out OK but try as the vets might to safely remove it they couldn't...

Ok I'll stop rambling...

Trust your little fella is cracking on just great mate.

If nothing else, your sad experience has pushed me to show my one a bit more attention. I cleaned out his tank last night. The full top to toe job. Then gave him a special treat of some salmon. When he'd had his fill of juicy salmon, he floated on his back scratching his belly letting out moans of contentment. Like a big fat sea lion on the rocks after demolishing 8 fish. I exaggerate of course . . . but he really did enjoy the salmon.
I never really thought of taking him out of the tank for a bit of a wander inside . . . usually save that for outside ( we have a small dog, and a cat that might find that long neck irresistable . . . plus all the water drips off him ) . . . but I think I'll find a way to make it work and let him scurry about inside too.
And you are right. Time is the only thing to help us get over the sadness. Of course you still feel sad when you think of him, but as time goes on, you can also smile when you think of him too.
You'll get another one . . . not to replace the first of course, but you'll get another one.

Obviously a movie where a dog dies is a shit movie but I can't cop those animal protective service programs either. Just makes ya feel terrible seeing the extreme neglect. Great that these people and protective units like that exist but not my idea of chilling out watching it.

100%. It takes a fair bit to upset me (can even get a season of the Tigers without crying,) but any movie where a dog bites it or a neglect show send me into a state. I f**king loathe cruelty to dogs.

100%. It takes a fair bit to upset me (can even get a season of the Tigers without crying,) but any movie where a dog bites it or a neglect show send me into a state. I f**king loathe cruelty to dogs.

Spoiler.......

One of my favourite Aussie films.. involved a Dog...

Red Dog.

No cruelty - far from it but ........ it got me but can't recommend it highly enough.

And I think that whole movie explains the question I was asking myself on Saturday and why I started this thread come to think of it.

Last edited:

Lambretta

First Grade

My daughter is the same
She can watch people getting ripped to shreds etc, but if an animal is so much as scratched, she's a mess

I couldn't show her Band of Brothers as all those horses that die would really upset her

Pommy

Coach
I recently lost my grandfather, I personally didn’t feel a whole lot of grief for it. He was 86 and had been crook for a long time, he had a good innings. He’s not in any pain anymore and that’s good enough for me.
It was awful hearing my dad really cut up on the phone and seeing my grandma face the prospect of a world without her partner of 68 years but that’s not the same as grief.
My wife has had a dog for about 12 years, I’ve lived with him for about 3.5 years. In the last 6 months you can see he is starting to slow down and show his age. Even thinking about him passing is almost enough to push me to tears.
I feel like the worst person on the planet if I know we’re both at work and he is home alone with thunder.
Prior to moving in with my mrs I never considered myself an animal person either.

I can’t answer why we get so attached to animals but I can sympathise with your pain.

Sorry about your lose.

Two words - unconditional love.

Strangely, only pets & babies/toddlers/young children and majority of parents give it.

Had to bury a number of pet dogs over the years (part of the family) & it doesn't get any easier - if only their lifespan was as long as ours.
Old dogs, children and watermelon wine.

___

Juniors
Hardest dog death in a movie to watch goes to I Am Legend.
Unfortunately I can beat that.

Old Jack and Dewey in Eight Below.

Old Jack dies because he was too old and didn't have the strength to break free from the chain he was restrained on (whereas the younger huskies did) and he dies by being frozen and obviously starved.

jan-26-2006-eight-below-k46856old-jack-credit-image-globe-photoszumapresscom-DPEPJM.jpg

Dewey's death was devastating too because no one saw it coming. He slips down and incline, is badly injured, and dies overnight. What makes this even sadder is that all the other huskies stay with him, they don't leave him behind even though he couldn't do anything.

maxresdefault.jpg

These elements combined with the fact that I love huskies more than any other dog because of how friendly they are make the movie a real tear-jerker. Throw Paul Walker in there who himself was a great actor and person who died a few years later and... let's just say I cannot watch this movie anymore :(