What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When is the state gov't going to support expanding capacity of league grounds?

Grantwhy

Juniors
Green Machine said:
Depends. If I had a long term lease and that apartment could return me a lot of money and I had a lazy $10m sitting around, I would.

The problem is, you are the Tenant, not the Landlord ;-).

*edit*

Why do I get the feeling I've miss-read your post :?

fatshark

Bench
The other problem Shark Park has is them High Voltage power lines that cross the hill. I don’t think the power authorities would not allow any grandstands or structures built within a certain distance of them. To have them dug underground would cost a fortune.
around half a mill. Sharks have plans for the Southern End. A grandstand that wraps around hopefully seating a few more thou.

taipan

Referee
Woods99 said:
Errrrr.....why can't rich clubs like Parramatta and Penrith spend their own money to expand/improve their grounds?

As the grounds are council owned(the community),any code of football can use them if they want.The league clubs tip in money for the development as does the govt,as is the case with Wollongong stadium.Funny if Parramatta had received a S14 franchise the team would have been based there.
Rich clubs maybe,but the new poker machine tax will soon change that position.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
Parra should have 35k
Penrith - 32k
Oki Jubillee-25k
Dairy Farmers-35k
Brookie-28k
Shark Park-25k
Campelltown and Leichardt between 25-35k

Green Machine

First Grade
Grantwhy said:
The problem is, you are the Tenant, not the Landlord ;-).

*edit*

Why do I get the feeling I've miss-read your post :?
I don’t think the Landlord (the NSW Government) would care if the tenant (Parramatta Leagues Club) made a gift of say $10m towards an upper tier Grandstand at either end of Parramatta Stadium. It is not that Parramatta Stadium actually benefits any other sporting team, but the Parramatta Eels Rugby League Team. I don’t of too many Landlords who build apartments worth tens of millions of dollars on crown land that benefit one person who pays very cheap rent. Federal and State Governments have blessed them with a wonderful gift on the doorsteps of their Leagues Club. It is not as if the Parramatta Leagues Club is short of cash, when they can throw $6m down the toilet funding a failed soccer team called the Parramatta Power.

Green Machine

First Grade
fatshark said:
around half a mill. Sharks have plans for the Southern End. A grandstand that wraps around hopefully seating a few more thou.
That’s interesting. When the first drawings came out a few years ago, they showed an extension of the Leagues Clubs stand (Peter Burns?) and the Ettinghausen Stand towards the road with rap around stand on the road end.
Sounds good if the power lines go underground and a stand goes up on the Hill,

Misty Bee

First Grade
Disagre entirely.

In Sydney, we have Aussie Stadium, which gets full on less ocxcasions than a rain tank in the Simpson Desert. Then there's Telstra - perfectly situated in the centre of Sydney,and ready to use. In fact, 3 clubs will play there next year.That will leave Sydney with the following un (or rarely) used venues: Leichhardt, Campbelltown, Belmore, Concord, Redfern, NSO, Gosford, Showground, Kogarah.

Parra would get more by selling out a 20k seater, and spending the $ to add 5000-10000 more seats. Besides, selling out in it's own way breates a demand for the product.

Take Aussie Stadium. A beautiful ground that creates a huge atmosphere for big games. Once had 3 tennants. Now only has 1 that struggles to attract crowds.

I'd rather the Govt reduce the poker machine tax than spend to upgrade the ground sizes.

MightySharks

Bench
Green Machine said:
Shark Park is situated in a place that has close to the highest rainfall in Sydney. It has been described as a wind tunnel

What a load of rubbish, love to see some stats to back that up you fool.

hrundi99

First Grade
The NRL's fundamental aim at this point should be to sell out every game, every round.

Expanding venues at this point in the process will make the job a lot more difficult.

Running a business, you want demand to outstrip supply.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Sydney's highest rainfall in in the Hills District and Upper North Shore.

Most of the rain at Skark Park is actually avgas and bilge dumped from the jets flying overhead. ;-)

Green Machine

First Grade
Misty Bee said:
Sydney's highest rainfall in in the Hills District and Upper North Shore.

Most of the rain at Skark Park is actually avgas and bilge dumped from the jets flying overhead. ;-)
Not exactly true Misty,
The Bureau of Meteorology reports that the verdant suburbs of Turramurra and Frenchs Forest share Sydney's highest rainfall, recording an annual average of 1404mm.
But here's the controversy. Ingleside, nestled between Ku-ring-gai Chase and Garigal national parks, is wetter (1411mm) but can't be officially recognised because records have been kept for only 18 years. That's not long enough to satisfy meteorological statisticians. Inglesiders will have to wait another decade or so before they can proudly claim they are the wettest.
As for heaviest rainfall (coming down in buckets) it can differ from constant rain, which in Sydney like everywhere around the parameter of Australia, has coastal rain, and Shark Park is situated very close to the coast:
http://weatherdownunder.net/modules.php?name=News&file=print&sid=46

Misty Bee

First Grade
Fair enough re Ingleside. However, its on a plateau, isn't it.

The wettest areas are coastal plateaus, as moist air is sucked in from the sea, hits the hills, rises, and dumps. Hence Dorrigo, not Coffs Harbour, is NSW's wettest town. Hence the north shore/hills getting higher rainfall.

Cronulla is lowland.

Green Machine

First Grade
Ingleside is about 4km direct from Mona Vale beach. Just something else on Shark Park, it in close proximity to the Kurnell Peninsula. The state government identified Kurnell as one of the most suitable places in NSW for a Wind Farm

littleduck

Juniors
The only way Parra Stadium, Dairy Farmers Stadium, Newcastle Stadium, Canberra Stadium, Gold Coast Stadium, etc will be upgraded to 40,000 fully-seated stadiums is if and when Australia secures the rights to host the Soccer World Cup.

I think FIFA requries a certain number of stadiums like 10 or 12 that are minimum 40k capacity and fully-seated.

If so, I think you'll find the MCG Subiaco AAMI LangPark SFS TS TD = 7 obvious choices... it then follows a few league grounds would need signficiant upgrading to accomodate 40k fully-seated.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Misty Bee said:
Take Aussie Stadium. A beautiful ground that creates a huge atmosphere for big games. Once had 3 tennants. Now only has 1 that struggles to attract crowds

Struggle do we for crowds, you are taking the piss surely, you are basing this on 2 sub par crowds at season end.

Average Crowds for 2005 (2004 figures in brackets).

Eels - 16,264 (11,766) +4,498
Roosters - 16,039 (18,514) -2,475

We averaged more than 2000 more than you when we were minor premiers, and 200 less than you when we finish 9th and you finish 1st.

Thanks Tommy Smith for the below figures for some of the Eels games in 2004. Gates must have closed early for fear of a stampede..

Parra vs NQld - Rnd 8 2004: Crowd - 8277
Parra vs Melbourne - Rnd 10 2004: Crowd - 8243
Parra vs Warriors - Rnd 24 2004: Crowd - 7271
Parra vs NQld - Rnd 9 2004: Crowd - 8051

Latest posts