What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When it comes to money, not all clubs are equal

cleary89

Coach
Of course it is, not saying you will ever get back to those levels, but if you have a terrible season i can see you having like a 20% drop.

Saints leagues club is f**ked, but so are most of them. Will be great when we get rid of it and diversify our revenue streams much like the raiders have.

The Great Dane

First Grade
impressive stuff from the raiders.
they should use some of that cash to partner-up with the federal government and get a roof on canberra stadium...

I am lead to believe that there have been talks about some sort of arrangement with the government that would involve something like this.

Not much information about these talks (which have always occurred behind firmly shut doors) but it seems to be something along the lines of us (or us and the Brumbies) footing a certain amount of the bill for either the new proposed stadium or a roof for Bruce and eventually owning/owning a part of either Bruce or this new stadium.

Of course this is all just rumor at the moment and should not be taken as hard facts.

The article really makes Canberra out to be a sleeping giant in the comp. I had no idea they that amount of investment. Good to see they will be able to continue to fight off the brumbies and the giants.
An article outlining all the clubs investing would be good reading.

I have two points on this comment.

Firstly, it is in the best interests of all Canberra based teams to work together to a certain degree. If the Raiders and Brumbies could come up with a joint membership they would be giving themselves a license to print money.

This cooperation is not, has not and never will be extended to the Giants as they are seen as posers and as a embarrassment to the names of the great teams and athletes that have really represented Canberra.

Secondly, Most people in and around the Raiders (and for that matter the Brumbies) have known for a long time that with the amount of money we have coming in and the vast talent we have to tap in to in the ACT, Country NSW, Southern NSW and certain areas of Southern Brisbane and Logan that we should be preforming much better then we do at the moment, but for some reason are not able to produce on the field.

We definitely are one of the sleeping Giants of the NRL and IMO only the Warriors are a larger one (and a much larger one at that).

Firey_Dragon

Coach
You're saying on-field success is cyclical; an idea I agree with. But so too is leagues club revenue - like all non-discretionary entertainment products, it is affected by slowdowns in the economy. The less disposable income there is, the lower the likelihood people will go to a leagues club to watch a show, eat dinner, or piss away their dough playing the pokies.

I think through Souths loyalty programme which encourages renewing your membership, we're trying to avoid a big drop off in numbers in the event of a poor season on field.

And let's not forget we grew from 6-7k members to 20k despite being the only club not to make the finals in the period between 2008 and 2011, so I'm not so sure our membership is linked to our on-field performance.

If you have more than 1 consecutive poor season, it's inevitable that there is a drop in numbers. It's the nature of the business.

You can't bank on consistent growth or even stable membership numbers, it's the reality of running a football club. Fans are fickle, irrespective of whatever we'd all prefer to think. Your numbers may not be linked to performance, but it could certainly be argued it was tied to recruitment. The club gave fans hope with some pretty big name recruits over that period, have some lean years with performance, and on the recruitment front, and that dynamic changes completely.

It's a pretty intelligent approach from Canberra, and I wish many other clubs would adopt similar approaches to revenue to rid us of the scourge of pokies.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Old Roy is a senile buffoon.

Really? Only you would make that link from a positive article that encourages clubs to diversify income streams, create jobs, increase self sufficiency, get new members and reduce reliance on gambling.

The Bulldogs and Canberra have done it.
Wests Tigers (both sides of the merger) and Cronulla are doing it.

You should have just said

Vote: Roy Masters.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Yeah the raiders is possibly the richest or second richest nrl club which is why we would benefit the most from there being no salary cap. Lets face it young men don't want to live in Canberra but if we could use some of that wealth to add a bit more to the contract I'm sure that some peoples objections would vanish.

GAZF

First Grade

They have secret weapons in special singlets apparently.

We've always known we were wealthy.

We just can't organise the on-field stuff.

And everyone out of the know thinks the Raiders are struggling financially. Its one of the things the club does very well. I just wish they had the same nous in running a footy team.

Old Roy is a senile buffoon.

Because his fact laden article paints your club in a poor financial light? For a genius, you certainly lack critical thinking skills.

Noname36

First Grade
Good for them. Our 25,000 membership base will yield us $6m in this year alone. On the back of some more solid on-field results, we could be looking at 30,000 members in 2014 and further growth in membership and sponsorship cash flow.

A lot of Souths 25,000 members aren't ticketed memberships though. I'm not a Souths member nor supporter, but I am going to assume that non-ticketed memberships are significantly cheaper than ticketed memberships? As a result, that estimated 6mil from membership is probably significantly lower than that.

BunniesMan

Immortal
A lot of Souths 25,000 members aren't ticketed memberships though. I'm not a Souths member nor supporter, but I am going to assume that non-ticketed memberships are significantly cheaper than ticketed memberships? As a result, that estimated 6mil from membership is probably significantly lower than that.
An average of $240 per member seems accurate enough. The non ticketed memberships we sell are more expensive than Roosters GA and we still sell something like 6000 of them.

Canard

Immortal
You know the Raiders earn money from memberships also?

It's not in the Quantum of Souffs but that just cream on top of what they are already earning

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Our income is independent of how the club performs on the field. I'd love to have membership numbers like souths but that's not exactly possible for the club but we are secure even without those numbers.

Mr Spock!

Referee
That was worrying about Souths.

There has to be a concern about life after Russell which can't be too far away.

Did the Sharks get another handout this year?

I don't have the link, however there was an article which quoted the Chairman at Cronulla saying they had turned down the financial assistance offered by the NRL and that they were now reassessing this years budget as a result of implementing the new structures at the club.

Some bone heads like BM read one article where the NRL offers financial assistance and then assumes that has taken place.

Will Sharks need some assistance later in the year? Depends I guess. They are close to stadium and jumper sponsor announcement, so maybe not.

[/QUOTE]btw Roosters need more handouts than the West.

East poorer than west, Roosters tell Smith[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, in relation to trying to develop a solid junior competition, I would suggest they deserve assistance as much as any club. In a battle with union, swans and Souths to get kids into the game. They may be financially secure, however the NRL should be ensuring junior development takes place with support of all NRL clubs, even those in Qld, Canberra and Victoria.

Mr Spock!

Referee
I don't have the link, however there was an article which quoted the Chairman at Cronulla saying they had turned down the financial assistance offered by the NRL

Already this year, the commission has bolstered the administrative stocks of cash-strapped Cronulla.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-tell-smith-20130405-2hc8g.html#ixzz2PdqPgFt0

Hmmm, in relation to trying to develop a solid junior competition, I would suggest they deserve assistance as much as any club. In a battle with union, swans and Souths to get kids into the game. They may be financially secure, however the NRL should be ensuring junior development takes place with support of all NRL clubs, even those in Qld, Canberra and Victoria.

I thought Easts juniors played in Souths competition?

Do we really believe that a lot of this money will go into junior development?