What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where are the signings??

Lets say a good up and comer is on 200k. His club under the old cap could only afford an upgrade to 250k. The cap then goes up. Parra can offer him overs at 400k and his club can now afford to pay him 320k. The way he sees it, it's still a big upgrade on what he's getting and he doesn't have to go to a shit club for the bigger money.

That's how I see it anyway. Or maybe I'm talking out my arse :crazy:

Fair enough, I guess some players may react positively to the idea of a raise, even if it's a smaller raise than they could get by going elsewhere. I think in the long run my point holds though.

MetroGnome

Juniors
The petition is going well thanks. It's about where I expected it to be with regard to number of signatures and number of churlish comments it has received both in the comments section of then petition and on sites where I have linked it.

Have you sat down with Roy yet and asked him to stop feeding stuff to his mates in the press or are you to busy now the holidays have started :crazy:

As I mentioned to Bart, I am not embarrassed by the petition or any comments I have made on the net. Can u say the same or does the fact you fight to remain anonymous mean that you also choose to hide from the crap and childish comments u post on here?
Well observed and well said mjc.

Burned like Larry Corowa's soles!

zuke

Juniors
So June 30 has come and gone and we have signed a whole heap of nothing. Let's just play the Eels Harold Matthews side in 2014. they can't play any worse!!

What an absolute joke. Penrith and the dragons are signing players and look where we are with our signings. Just like our position on the ladder - Stone motherless last.

I would like to thank the NRL with all their assiatance in helping us improve our position (ie. the Foloau saga). As someone stated a few weeks back I look forward to watching the eels games on Comedy central.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
So June 30 has come and gone and we have signed a whole heap of nothing. Let's just play the Eels Harold Matthews side in 2014. they can't play any worse!!

What an absolute joke. Penrith and the dragons are signing players and look where we are with our signings. Just like our position on the ladder - Stone motherless last.

I would like to thank the NRL with all their assiatance in helping us improve our position (ie. the Foloau saga). As someone stated a few weeks back I look forward to watching the eels games on Comedy central.

Well said Captain Negative.

jimmy77au

Juniors

Well isnt this post a big ball of positive energy.....

To be perfectly fair, our valuation of Folau at $250k, has been shown to be the complete bullshit that it was. If we'd started at a more realistic price (e.g. the $400k that they decided was ok) we might not be in this situation....or maybe we might.

oldmancraigy

Coach
To be perfectly fair, our valuation of Folau at $250k, has been shown to be the complete bullshit that it was. If we'd started at a more realistic price (e.g. the $400k that they decided was ok) we might not be in this situation....or maybe we might.

I don't think that's a fair comment?

If Folau agreed to play here for $250k, then why should he count against the cap as anything else?

Or, if he had to count as something else, then how come every other player isn't valued in the same fashion?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

We have signed mossop, hock , hoppa and Norman

The others I think:

Dragons - Farrell, Thompson , widdop, some crap pommy prop

Penrith - kite, Taylor , soward , some winger from knights - and some others that have limited nrl experience

So I think we have the better bunch of signings

Last edited:
I don't think that's a fair comment?

If Folau agreed to play here for $250k, then why should he count against the cap as anything else?

Or, if he had to count as something else, then how come every other player isn't valued in the same fashion?

As you know, the 250k was part of a seriously back-ended deal (so he was not coming here for 250k per season). If the guiding principle is that the annual salary in a multi-year deal is supposed to be in the right ballpark, the I think it is a perfectly fair comment. And at no point did anyone say that Folau had accepted the deal that included the 250k 1st year.

Last edited:

lingard

Coach
I got to meet Nathan when he was guest speaker at a Sportsman of the Year award we hold here in town, and I compere.
Terrific bloke, who had the audience in the 'palm of his hand'..and he wasn't talking about his football career, he was talking about his 'life', his inspirations, his vision, and the love he has for his community of Tinga.
He will be back in town on July 27 for Naidoc Week, travelling to the local schools---the kids are in for a treat. Such a humble bloke who appreciates his family, his responsibilities, and is thankful for the sporting opportunities that came his way.
He said that he doesn't watch Rugby League these days, to use his words, it has become 'too predictable'.
He purchased a community bus for the people of Tinga so kids could be transported to Inverell to go to the swimming Pool. I don't know if he contributed the whole cost of the bus, but I think he made a substantial donation towards it.
He said that his Dad passed away just a week after Nathan got to play for Australia, and that is a memory he cherishes. He said he still has letters his Dad sent to him when he moved to Sydney (with Easts - as a 19yo and 60kg) and when he gets 'low in spirit' he gets them out and reads them to remember the sacrifices his parents made for him. As I said, "Champion bloke"...a credit to all Aboriginal people and to Rugby League.

Thanks, Pete. That's really nice.

lingard

Coach
We have signed mossop, hock , hoppa and Norman

The others I think:

Dragons - Farrell, Thompson , widdop, some crap pommy prop

Penrith - kite, Taylor , soward , some winger from knights - and some others that have limited nrl experience

So I think we have the better bunch of signings

Indeed. That puts a good perspective on things.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
We have signed a guy who hasn't played for two years, a five eighth that was dumped to fullback, a hot head and an untested pommy. Our signings are not as good as some would have us think.

Stagger eel

Staff member
We have signed a guy who hasn't played for two years, a five eighth that was dumped to fullback, a hot head and an untested pommy. Our signings are not as good as some would have us think.

Well it's all very well talk them down but IMO they are very very good additions to the squad.. And they will prove it.

Delboy

First Grade

Gees, you must be the bloke who refused to date Elle McPherson because she couldn't cook

We have to get over being so bloody negative leave that to another site

oneguy

Juniors
Only time will tell. We've gotten excited over signings before that have turned out to be duds.

Who'd be your top three duds? Big signings that didn't deliver?

For mine, probably:

Bob Lindner
Adam dykes
Justin Poore

And for slightly diff circumstance - Adam Ritson didn't play much before being ruled out

Someone

Bench
Tonga, Sandow (can of worms maybe, but he hasnt lived upto expectation), Poore, anyone we have signed over the last 5 years really.