What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where are we going to get the money from Gus?

chunk

Juniors
Gould and others carry on about more money for players and the cap is at fault and so on.

However he never says were we can the money from.

Its not the caps fault, the game can't afford it, except for maybe five or six teams. Thgame hasn't got enough money ATM

Anyone can make these statements but again were are we going to get the money from!!

The Tigers for example are one of the most popular teams in the comp but would be dead in a few years if it wasn't for the cap.

Last edited:

Eddie Lab

Juniors
Gus was very annoying this morning on the footy show. I understand he is passionate about the game, but he kept cutting people off and no one else could get a word in.

what really bugged me was when he started listing players off that the storm have developed at a young age. look at the Raiders/Eels/Dragons they have developed a lot of players from a young age in the NRL but they have played by the cap rules and have lost some of them.

Gaba

First Grade
Gus was very annoying this morning on the footy show. I understand he is passionate about the game, but he kept cutting people off and no one else could get a word in.

what really bugged me was when he started listing players off that the storm have developed at a young age. look at the Raiders/Eels/Dragons they have developed a lot of players from a young age in the NRL but they have played by the cap rules and have lost some of them.
when gallop was going to make a reply about the dragons losing players gould didnt want to hear it,because it didnt suit his argument

another how can clubs determine what is a elite player or not and why should this player be paid so much more like over double what someone else in his club is getting , it suppose to be a team game not an individual game

The only times a player should get more pay is when they make the representative games, and play in those games, once those games finish

they should not be getting more then $300,000 at their club

Last edited:

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Gould and others carry on about more money for players and the cap is at fault and so on.

Its not the caps fault, the game can't afford it, except for maybe five or six teams. Thgame hasn't got enough money ATM

Anyone can make these statements but again were are we going to get the money from!!

The Tigers for example are one of the most popular teams in the comp but would be dead in a few years if it wasn't for the cap.

What about starting with getting a better television deal. Maybe even a plan for where they want to take the game, you know like the AFL have.

They don't say how they can't they say how they can do.

The bottom line is the self interest of News Ltd is costing us a mint. The reality is other than Gould their is no-one who has any intelligent debate to add who has the games interest at heart.

Last edited:

Vicious

Bench
What Gus said was 100% correct. Rugby League cannot afford to keep punishing it`s best players by not being able to pay them what they`re worth. Why should the Melbourne Storm be punished for creating a great side, they didn`t steal anyone else`s players. The cap should only be for imported players, not for players developed by the club. As a Wests Tigers fan I understand we don`t have as much money as what most other clubs do, but I don`t want to steal other clubs players, as long as we can pay the likes of Benji, Farah and the others that we have developed what they are worth and i`m sure we can accomodate that, than who cares how much the Melbourne Storm or others pay their players ???

Eelectrica

Referee
Gould also convienently forgot to mention the players the Storm bought in. Yes they've developed a lot of talent over the years, but I'm pretty sure they didn't develop Finch and Crocker

m0nty

Juniors
Evidently there's a lot of money in setting up marquees for games, maybe the Storm boys should get into that business... :sarcasm:

Gaba

First Grade
What Gus said was 100% correct. Rugby League cannot afford to keep punishing it`s best players by not being able to pay them what they`re worth. Why should the Melbourne Storm be punished for creating a great side, they didn`t steal anyone else`s players. The cap should only be for imported players, not for players developed by the club. As a Wests Tigers fan I understand we don`t have as much money as what most other clubs do, but I don`t want to steal other clubs players, as long as we can pay the likes of Benji, Farah and the others that we have developed what they are worth and i`m sure we can accomodate that, than who cares how much the Melbourne Storm or others pay their players ???

then those players would continue to threaten clubs by saying they will leave unless they get more money, its unfair on the other players in the team who do as much work in the team as these so called elite players Suppose to be a team game.
also
So how can clubs bring up younger players if these socalled elite players wanting more and more money

Gould doesnt really think in the long term

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee

Have you sat back and asked yourself why our game can't afford it?

Think News LTD dealing with News LTD when it comes to broadcast deals.

Think of the profit RL makes and what percentage of that is given back to clubs.

butchmcdick

Post Whore
Correct me if I am wrong here but doesn't Gould have a history of sh*tcanning the storm ? Now all of a sudden they are the brave boys who dared to play league in Melbourne and just because they systematically rort the cap they get repaid like this ? Since when diod Gould give a sh*t about the storm ? I think he took that position because he can use it as a club to try to beat Gallop with yet again.

Gould reminded me today of that guy at work who constantly whinges about what the boss should do to improve the company yet never actually steps up to the plate and gives it a go himself. If he is so passionate about things then man up, strap on pair and try to involved in running the game instead of always whinging about the decisions that are made. It is easy to have all the answers when you don't have to take any responsibility for the results of your actions.

For him say that Gallop response was crap on national tv shows such a lack of respect. It really isn't a good look for the a representative of the host broadcaster to call the CEO of the NRL's views crap. He and the fatty bagged Gallop for not going on the show on Thursdays show and treat him like a redheaded step child when he does.

Gallop mentioned that the NRL's auditors, New's auditors and the external auditors didn't pick it up yet gould called the NRL negligant and when talking about the Finch deal implied that he knew the Storm were cheating. If he knew then why didn't he speak up ? Could it be that he had no proof (much like the NRL and the auditors) ?

Scottey

Juniors
Gus was annoying in not letting Gallop speak.
As for where the money is coming from, he stated before that the NRL gets 150million profit each year. 50 million of that goes to the clubs. He suggests that the money should come from that other 100 million.

chunk

Juniors
No doubt when the new TV deal happens we can get more money for the players but for now and the past salary cap has ensured the survival of my club the Tigers and many others!!!!

Ryan Hoffman by the way was a Wests junior who had plenty of resources thrown at him. Melbourne offered him more money and he went there. Wests devloped him not Melbourne.

And if it wasn't for the cap the WestsTigers couldn't have kept Lawrence, Farah, Fulton etc to much money would have been thrown at them from the likes of Brisbane, Melbourne etc hence the demise of the Tigers.

As a comp we need the cap

fourplay

Juniors
Of the $150m annual revenue the game generates the clubs only get given $50m. The salary cap would rise if clubs got a bigger share of the revenue.

Iafeta

Referee
Have you sat back and asked yourself why our game can't afford it?

Think News LTD dealing with News LTD when it comes to broadcast deals.

Think of the profit RL makes and what percentage of that is given back to clubs.

As far as the clubs go, 1-2 clubs make a profit each year. A lot are propped up by fledgling leagues clubs. All clubs gain a couple of mill per year from News Limited. Clubs need to look at diversifying their revenue streams.

gaterooze

Bench
Gould also convienently forgot to mention the players the Storm bought in. Yes they've developed a lot of talent over the years, but I'm pretty sure they didn't develop Finch and Crocker

I kept thinking, "If they didn't go and buy Quinn, Finch, Chase Stanley, Ryan Hinchcliffe, Todd Lowrie, Luke McDougall, Bryan Norrie, Ryan Tandy, etc... maybe they would have been under the cap."

The Storm had a choice - if they wanted to keep the star players, they couldn't go and buy other players, they'd have to stick with juniors and locals to fill out the team.

Now don't get me wrong, I think the Storm (and all clubs) should be given concessions for players who make their debut with the club, and for long-serving players - but for Gould to blame the cap for this issue is intellectually dishonest.

gaterooze

Bench
I also wanted to say that Gus never looks at the alternative - life without a cap. We would have 4-5 super-strong teams and the rest would be rubbish making up the numbers or extinct. Who really wants that?

Good players would be lost from most clubs instantly because they couldn't match offers. That aspect would be no better than how it is now.

lockyrulz

Juniors
I also wanted to say that Gus never looks at the alternative - life without a cap. We would have 4-5 super-strong teams and the rest would be rubbish making up the numbers or extinct. Who really wants that?

Good players would be lost from most clubs instantly because they couldn't match offers. That aspect would be no better than how it is now.

Probably because he isn't advocating life without a cap.

He is advocating a concession for developed players. The clubs that would suffer would be those that do not have the capacity to develop players.

He is 100% right. Simple fact is Sydney cannot sustain 9 teams without an overtly restrictive cap, meaning we lose players to other codes, to the ESL etc, all for no other reason than that clubs like the sharks, who are on death row anyway, can eek out a pointless existence for another few years.

Inferno

Coach
I can't believe idiot Gould made a point of saying how Melbourne managed to attract quality players like Finch and Newton, they were both mid seasons buys, they would have been on nothing for the first year.

Quidgybo

Bench
What about starting with getting a better television deal.
Which can't happen until season 2013. You can beat that horse ad naesum until then but it isn't going to change anything. Which brings up back to the original question, where's the money going to come from?

Of the $150m annual revenue the game generates the clubs only get given $50m. The salary cap would rise if clubs got a bigger share of the revenue.
So what are you going to cut to allow that to happen? The NYC competition, funding grassroots development, payments to Origin players. It's not like the NRL is bringing in enough money to stockpile it. It's all been accounted for and Gus should know because he's seen the books.

Leigh