What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where are we going to get the money from Gus?

Vicious

Bench
Pfft.

Parra's highest paid players are Cayless, Hindmarsh and Hayne.

Other current Eels players who made their first grade debuts with the club are:

Burt
Grothe
Inu
Reddy
Kris and Matt Keating
Mortimer
Moimoi
Mannah
Ben Smith
Mateo
Horo

The only Eels players from last year's decider who didn't make their first grade debuts at Parra were

Jeff Robson
Todd Lowrie
Kevin Kingston
Joe Galuvao

None of them were on big money. The other 13 were all developed by the Eels.

Other grand finalists developed by the Eels that were bought by other clubs were

Jamie Lyon (2007-2008)
Jack Afamasaga (2007)
Casey McGuire (2006)
Pat Richards (2005)
Jason Cayless (2002-2004)
Chad Robinson (2003-2004)
Andrew Ryan (2004)
Willie Tonga (2004)
PJ Marsh (2002)

So as you can see, Parra develops loads of players, and loses them to the salary cap (as they should).

Get your facts straight, like this guy has:

Not denying that, but buying someone such as Justin Poore after making the GF doesn`t sit well with me and i`m certainly not a Dragons supporter. I don`t mind getting the Eels getting Tahu back from RU, but he was another originally poached from Newcastle.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Not denying that, but buying someone such as Justin Poore after making the GF doesn`t sit well with me and i`m certainly not a Dragons supporter.

But you had no problem with the Tigers buying Scott Prince (touted as the next big thing ever since his Cowboys debut)?

Mate, Cayless and Moimoi are ageing, and quality front-rowers are thin on the ground. Why the hell should a club have to wait for somebody to come through the ranks when there's an open market?

Parra buying Poore means they couldn't afford to buy somebody else, or keep somebody they've already got. They'll probably lose Inu or Mateo or both because they've bought Poore. That's how the salary cap works.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Gould is right and you idiots who can't see that are wrong. The salary cap needs reforming. Blind Freddie can see that. If the events of this last week haven't convinced some of you of this then you are pretty freakin slow.

Two teams have been caught now in the last 8 years in serious breach of cheating the cap and believe me there will be more if nothing changes. Do you really want to go through this type of sh*t again? We all know that many are flaunting the rules, they just haven't been caught yet is all. There are already more rumours of one other club, again way over the cap.

These ridiculous cap rules have brought the game to its knees in Victoria. All I know is that if a law is too strict in its nature and to difficult to police in practice then it is a bad law and needs to be modified or even removed. In our case we all agree we need a cap, we just need it to be modified so as it is fairer and does not place clubs in this precarious position of running the gauntlet to maintain a strong playing roster.

Also if we modified the cap correctly it would allow most of the players who would have left the NRL to stay and others who have left to return. The alternative is they police it to the extent where we start to lose many more players then we ever have before to other leagues that will pay them without penalty.

Top 1st paragraph. I couldn't agree more. Some of the comments being made in this thread are ridiculous!

What Gus said on sunday was 100% correct and Gallop's comments demonstrated just how incompetent he is.

Players that have been at a club for 6 or 7 years should get a percentage of their wage not being included within the cap. For example if a player is on 300K then the club should be allowed to pay that player 400K, but only 300K goes towards the cap. This would result in clubs working harder to produce players also.

Every year I see the list of players departing and players signed by all the clubs. A couple of clubs invest in better players than they lose, however all the other clubs have a thinning out of their quality players. The only reason that the product isn't being majorly affected, is because the players are being coached more than ever before.

Last edited:

kurt faulk

Coach
Anyone can make these statements but again were are we going to get the money from!!

from the large chunk that goes back into the news ltd coffers.

thay've been sucking the life out of league since 99.

and league has still come back strong.

imagine what this sport can be if it had somebody making decsions that were in league's best interest. think of the nfl and that is what league would be in this country.

bartman

Immortal
Gus doesn't think before he speaks or writes. His agendas are not backed up by substantial enough details to be taken seriously, he is just a populist windbag of the highest order.

The salary cap is a necessity for the game, as greedy clubs and their backers will just spend themselves into oblivion without any checks and balances.

For evidence of this, refer to Newtown circa 1981-82, and Norths in the era where they couldn't actually pay their players paychecks.

The cap is not the problem. The greed of clubs, players and player-managers is. having systems where clubs willingness to bend the rules is kept in check is necessary - that's why we have a cap and it is audited (albeit apparently retrospectively).

The NRL should have a system where a tighter reign is kept on player-managers, and players (through the players association) should be open to ideas to restore faith in players integrity - yes I'm speaking about open examination/audit of the deposit records of players bank accounts. What have the players got to lose or hide by objecting to this, if everything is above board?

Finally, the Storm debacle must deal a massive blow to the idea of setting up the "independent" commission on the basis of the clubs alone (or virtually alone) deciding who the commissioners will be. With the way the Storm has conducted itself, the game (ie the NRL/ARL/QRL/NSWRL) cannot afford to trust the clubs in this way, and must retain an equal control over the game with the clubs as partners (as it is in England).

Eddie Lab

Juniors
Top 1st paragraph. I couldn't agree more. Some of the comments being made in this thread are ridiculous!

What Gus said on sunday was 100% correct and Gallop's comments demonstrated just how incompetent he is.

Players that have been at a club for 6 or 7 years should get a percentage of their wage not being included within the cap. For example if a player is on 300K then the club should be allowed to pay that player 400K, but only 300K goes towards the cap. This would result in clubs working harder to produce players also.

Every year I see the list of players departing and players signed by all the clubs. A couple of clubs invest in better players than they lose, however all the other clubs have a thinning out of their quality players. The only reason that the product isn't being majorly affected, is because the players are being coached more than ever before.

I agree with the fact that this current player merry-go round is very annoying and very bad for the NRL but the way Gus was going on during the footy show was a little crazy. also I don't see how you can say Gallop's comments demonstrated how incompetent he is because Gus cut him off every time he tried to say anything of substance.

there should be discounts/exceptions to the cap for young players and/or long serving players to stay at the club for longer. also the cap should be increased when affordable to the clubs and NRL. The problem I have with Gus is that he isn't suggesting any of this, all he is doing is yelling at anyone that will listen.

I would not think Gallop is as incompetent as holding rigid to the party line. He gets up there, and with egg on his face a lot of the time repeats the words any good employee says in their heads "do exactly as you are told, X100"

Gould is right that it all needs an overhaul.

Heck, Gallop is no fool. Look at us: all it takes is a quick look at other salary caps around the place, and you have a better one than the NRLs. Anyone can run a net search.

No. The NRL DOES NOT want to increase its hard cap OR its tv deal atm. As per what Gould has said.

They do some silly things tho sometimes, its hard to separate the sh*t from the chocolate.

Set the cap at 50% of income and let the clubs that don't belong in the big league find a level where they are more comfortable at.

Another way to achieve the outcome is to Revenue share. Its widesly used in the U.S and to a lesser extent EU football.

This is something which the NRL needs to do. AND all clubs should meet a minimum criteria on top of that.

In the spirit of the greater good for the competition, I would have. Revenue sharing, minimum criteria (that forces a club to work toward a resolution should they be below, rather than punish) and youth and long serving player discounts. Third party levels increase (surely the money on offer has come a long way, plus its a small imbalance if the nature of the increase is not extravagant; provided its offsetting keeping players in the game.

I think we need to tweak ourselves to provide both strength and flexibility.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
I agree with the fact that this current player merry-go round is very annoying and very bad for the NRL but the way Gus was going on during the footy show was a little crazy. also I don't see how you can say Gallop's comments demonstrated how incompetent he is because Gus cut him off every time he tried to say anything of substance.

there should be discounts/exceptions to the cap for young players and/or long serving players to stay at the club for longer. also the cap should be increased when affordable to the clubs and NRL. The problem I have with Gus is that he isn't suggesting any of this, all he is doing is yelling at anyone that will listen.

I have no issue with Gus continually cutting Gallop off. Gallop is more like a politician then a sports CEO. He has a few standard lines that he continually uses and he doesn't go into any more depth with his answers.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
New ltd take a large chunk of that so they can retrieve their losses from the war...hence the stumbling block for the independant commission.
If they didnt there would be enough to go around.

If followers of rugby league are serious about improving the game, then 2 bits of bullsh*t propaganda need to be addressed:

1. News limited have made a fortune from flogging PayTV in Australia thru owning rugby league. To say they need to recoup losses is absolute crap.

2. David Gallop had zero management experience before being appointed CEO. He was News Limited's key lawyer. I get tired of idiots saying he's a great adminisrator or how brave he has been during this crisis. he wasn't appointed by News Limited to be independent. he was appointed to safeguard News Limited interests.

Until News Limited and their lackeys are gone, then this game will continue to be raped andd pillaged by a media company simly trying to line its pockets.

Eddie Lab

Juniors
I have no issue with Gus continually cutting Gallop off. Gallop is more like a politician then a sports CEO. He has a few standard lines that he continually uses and he doesn't go into any more depth with his answers.

but it isn't like Gus is saying anything other then his few standard lines either. all Gus wants is to yell at gallop, rabs, sterlo and anyone else that will listen that he is right and knew that this was coming.

Sterlo had a few good questions but before Gallop could go into depth like you wanted, Gus wanted the camera back on him.

what about starting with getting a better television deal. Maybe even a plan for where they want to take the game, you know like the afl have.

they don't say how they can't they say how they can do.

The bottom line is the self interest of news ltd is costing us a mint. The reality is other than gould their is no-one who has any intelligent debate to add who has the games interest at heart.

hello captain obvious! \\\\:d/

lol

No matter where you set the cap or how much players get paid. Players will always want more money and administrators will always find a way to cheat the rules. It is the way of the world.

You could pay Greg Inglis $10mill a year and I can guarantee that if Jarryd Hayne was getting $11mill, Inglis would be jealous. Greed is the motivator here and you just can't get rid of it.

babyg

Juniors
I get pissed off everytime I walk up the stairs at the train station and see a wallaby on each step. Why aren't rugby league clubs doing those kinds of cross promotions - becuase club sponsors are not allowed to use players in their promotions (or $50k cap or whatever). It is ridiculous.

mickdo

Coach
I get pissed off everytime I walk up the stairs at the train station and see a wallaby on each step. Why aren't rugby league clubs doing those kinds of cross promotions - becuase club sponsors are not allowed to use players in their promotions (or $50k cap or whatever). It is ridiculous.

Don't blame the clubs, the Wallabies are the national side. The ARL should be doing all of that (and if they can't because of the cap rules, to some degree they should be allowed to).

forward pass

Coach
Why should the Melbourne Storm be punished for creating a great side, they didn`t steal anyone else`s players. The cap should only be for imported players, not for players developed by the club. As a Wests Tigers fan I understand we don`t have as much money as what most other clubs do, but I don`t want to steal other clubs players, as long as we can pay the likes of Benji, Farah and the others that we have developed what they are worth and i`m sure we can accomodate that, than who cares how much the Melbourne Storm or others pay their players ???

What - do you think the Storm players attended school in Melbourne and played for local junior clubs and then went up through the system?

Mate they are all NSW or QLD players which the Storm took from NSW or QLD junior sides and relocated them. All their players are stolen - everyone of them !!

Vicious

Bench
What - do you think the Storm players attended school in Melbourne and played for local junior clubs and then went up through the system?

Mate they are all NSW or QLD players which the Storm took from NSW or QLD junior sides and relocated them. All their players are stolen - everyone of them !!

Are you for real ?
They brang most of their side down as teenagers, yes they may have gave them good offers at the time, but they identified their talent at a young age and let them develop into the superstars they are today. It`s one thing to identify talented teenagers, it`s another for them to go on and become superstars of the game, many don`t live up to the expectations.
The players that the Storm have recruited are mainly players unwanted by most other NRL clubs.
YES they cheated the salary cap and YES deserve to be punished as a club in some way, I personally think the punishment handed is far too harsh, but that`s another story.
My argument along with many others if that teams that develop the majority of their own talent, meaning players that played atleast their first 10 first grade games for the club need to be rewarded by allowing these players to remain together as a group IF the club they are at can afford to play the players what they are asking or more to the point what their market values are. Most if not all clubs can afford to pay their best players more than what the salary cap will allow them, it does not benefit rugby league to see other codes take our best players because these clubs cannot pay their star players what they are worth under this current salary cap system.
I`m not saying scrap the slary cap all together, the evening of the competition makes rugby league elite, but it`s becoming a big mistake not to let our star players earn what they are worth on the open market and rediculous to punish clubs for identifying young talent and letting these players turn into champions. I`m no Storm fan, but I don`t want to see any of the players that made their names as Storm players playing anywhere else unless the player actually wants to leave, just as I don`t want to see Jarryd Hayne playing anywhere else but Parramatta and Benji Marshall anywhere else but the Tigers etc.

proto

Juniors
i dont necessarily disagree with Gould, but him using all this as his 'SEE I TOLD YOU THIS WOULD HAPPEN, SEE GUYS, SEE' is over the top & annoying

Latest posts