What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where in the St.George area are you from?

FundyDragon

Bench
Grew up in Bankstown area and started supporting St George from 1978.

My old man was a huge Rugby League and St George supporter and started supporting them in the 60's. He would pick me up every weekend and off we would go and watch all three grades without fail, rain, hail or shine. At Kogarah the day would usually consist of reading the Big League mag from cover to cover, at least 2 hot dogs and a couple of cans, first try scorer doubles and maybe a bag of peanut the ones with the sugar coating they used to walk around selling. We would sit in the same spot in the first row along the fence in the corner where the score board is located.

Fast forward, lived in the Sutherland Shire since 1994 and this is where my dislike for the Sharks started.

Were you born is a Rugby League region Dr Fruitbasket. If so, which club?

No OT, born in Huntingdon Cambridgeshire. When we arrived I couldn't swim and had never heard of league. First game against Easts at Kogarah, first time we'd played them since the '75 GF (which I managed to miss) and we won 15-12. Langlands and Smith playing. Never looked back. Cried when we lost the preliminary semi final 6-31 to Parramatta.

Learned to swim at Brighton baths.

Sad that my youngest daughter will probably grow up without a solid connection to the district. Though as it's been said a few times in this thread, it's in the blood.

Squizzer

Juniors
Born & grew up in Sutherland Shire & still live there. Mum was from Penshurst & dad was from Kogarah. I was eight years old before Cronulla even came into the competition so supporting the dragons was a no brainer. The old man was a builder & a number of St George players did work for him. It wasn't unusual to open the front door to have "Poppa" Clay or "Bluey" Wilson there to see dad about a job. The legacy has been passed down to the next generation as well, though we all still live in the Shire nothing less than a St George supporter is tolerated amongst the nieces, nephews etc.

TonyTrugett

Juniors
Born & grew up in Sutherland Shire & still live there. Mum was from Penshurst & dad was from Kogarah. I was eight years old before Cronulla even came into the competition so supporting the dragons was a no brainer. The old man was a builder & a number of St George players did work for him. It wasn't unusual to open the front door to have "Poppa" Clay or "Bluey" Wilson there to see dad about a job. The legacy has been passed down to the next generation as well, though we all still live in the Shire nothing less than a St George supporter is tolerated amongst the nieces, nephews etc.
I use to do electrical work for a builder who's previous electrician was billy Wilson before he retired and bought the nambucca heads ( i think )pub

Cagey Mac

Bench
Only a fleeting time in St George for me, though I've been supporting them since around 1970.

When my Grandparents moved to Sydney my Dad found a place for them all in May St Bardwell Park which (I think) started the whole thing off. That was around 1950 give or take a year or two. The 5 brothers that came to Sydney all got married at the Catholic Church in Earlwood, and I think they all played tennis at that tiny little tennis club that is still on Bexley Rd.
So when my parents got married they bought a house just up the hill a way, in Athelstane Ave Arncliffe. Which is where we where living when I was born in 62. We swapped houses with my Grandmother (Mums Mum) when the house in Croydon Park got too big for her in late 64/early 65. But Dad kept dragging us back to Bardwell Park to go to the Dr, and when it was suggested I learn to swim for my asthma they found an indoor heated pool in Bexley.

I'm in Campbelltown now, and the border with Illawarra isn't that far from me - they come up as far as Douglas Park I think.

I went to school at CBHS Lewisham, which when Newtown died became part of St George juniors like Earlwood Saints. A few years after I finished school though... But that's how Osborne became a Saints junior I believe.

Dad and dads family were from Mudgee, yes they are the Mudgee Dragons in RL. they have Swans in AFL, Wolves in soccer and Wombats in RU. :)

And Black Forest, I work with a bloke that reckons he played for Holy Cross in the same team as Benny, so maybe similar vintage to you.

Our Lady of Lourdes is the church and school. I did year six there and remember getting six of the best for going out of bounds. Dave Brown actually visited and gave us a rugby league talk ...inspirational.

soupnazi

Juniors
Live in Patrick st rockdale, aptrick st Beverly Hills, Baxter ave Kogarah and princess Brighton Le Sands.

Im a Saints whore for moving then Stoney creek Rd Beverly hills

Born in St. George Hospital and grew up on Napoleon St, Sans Souci.

I remember watching my first GF in '85 at Mick Maulins Pub in Dolls Pt and learning to swim in the baths there. Looking back, it must have been a pretty cool pub being so close to the water.

Went to Sans Souci P.S then Athelstane P.S in Arncliffe.

That was an eye opener. Going to a school where the majority of the kids were Lebanese or Yugoslav refugees gave me a first hand view of what it was like to be in the minority.

Finished primary school in Gymea Bay then went to Kirrawee High. I still love giving it to my Snorkie mates. Imagine going for the poor old Sharks? :cry:

saint.nick

Coach
Born in St. George Hospital and grew up on Napoleon St, Sans Souci.

I remember watching my first GF in '85 at Mick Maulins Pub in Dolls Pt and learning to swim in the baths there. Looking back, it must have been a pretty cool pub being so close to the water.

Went to Sans Souci P.S then Athelstane P.S in Arncliffe.

That was an eye opener. Going to a school where the majority of the kids were Lebanese or Yugoslav refugees gave me a first hand view of what it was like to be in the minority.

Finished primary school in Gymea Bay then went to Kirrawee High. I still love giving it to my Snorkie mates. Imagine going for the poor old Sharks? :cry:

Why'd you suddenly decide to go all the way to arncliffe for primary school?

Coffs dragon

Bench
Born and bred in the St. George heartland of Blakehurst. As a kid I use to watch Chang, Billy Smith, Barry Beath, Harry Eden and all the team train at Carrs Park. As soon as all my mates turned 18 we use to drink at the old Sea Breeze Hotel and the team use to frequent there regularly after there one and a half hour training....2 nights a week. They stuck solid to a pub diet....beer, nobbys nuts, cheese and crackers. Some wild boys back in those days....led by Billy Smith. Thank God no mobiles or cameras back then. I then moved to Penshurst then Hurstville then back to Penshurst then another return to Blakehurst then over the bridge to Jannali before I moved up north to Coffs Harbour. Once a dragon always a dragon....just have to travel further and be selective.

Cagey Mac

Bench
Wonder if they are Abbott Tories?

Abbott is my local member
If we had a half back as deceptive we'd be on the way to eleven in a row again
But then again, Steve Price would fit well in parliament ...for either party

RedVee

First Grade
Our Lady of Lourdes is the church and school. I did year six there and remember getting six of the best for going out of bounds. Dave Brown actually visited and gave us a rugby league talk ...inspirational.
yes, that's the one - I was baptised there.
I did primary school at SFX Ashbury, then onto CBHS Lewisham which had a large number of Earlwood students.

We moved to Arncliffe for about a year.

I went back to the old house in Athelstane Ave for a look a year or so ago. (IMO) The area is hugely rundown from what it was like in the 60s. I was very disappointed.

Cagey Mac

Bench
yes, that's the one - I was baptised there.
I did primary school at SFX Ashbury, then onto CBHS Lewisham which had a large number of Earlwood students.

I went back to the old house in Athelstane Ave for a look a year or so ago. (IMO) The area is hugely rundown from what it was like in the 60s. I was very disappointed.

It probably thought that you were a little worse for wear too :lol: