What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where in the St.George area are you from?

TruSaint

Referee
:lol: ...I'm with you Pat. i grew up in Chester Hill - Canterbury Bankstown territory. i attended St. Benedict's Primary School in Lidcombe. The first game of footy i watched was St.George v's West at Lidcombe oval in 1975 - as a ten y.o.I was amazed how tall the Posts were there. i asked my older brother (whom i idolised) which Team to follow - he said the ones with the Red V. I asked why, and he said because they are the 'Saints'. I only learned a couple of years ago at his 50th birthday, that he had aspirations of becoming a Catholic Priest as a teenage Boy and Saints were on God's side! So it has always stuck. He's a Doctor of Psychiatry now and also remains a Dragons tragic. And so every very Weekend after that game was spent Train-travelling all over Sydney to watch them Play. Couldn't get to Manly games at Brookvale. I had the 'John Chapman' stand - a massive banner (ala Ted Goodwin Stand), which often appeared on ABC News sports in their back-drop. Very proud of that.

And who'd Support a Team called 'the berries' ??

Then moved to N.Ryde and had alot to do with Balmain Tigers through Holy Cross Ryde, attended heaps of Amco Cup games at Leichhardt Oval. Ben Elias stole my girlfriend in year 9 - even back then he was a bast*rd!

Sandra, I hope you are reading this. My heart is broken!!! ...hehe

Sandra you missed out lol.

Seriously, Lidcombe oval was massive. Living in the area then, i went to many Wests v Manly games.

The UFC looks tame compared to some of those guys hitting the living sh... out of each other.

Raudonikus, Randall, Gibbs, Boyd, etc... OMG.
Cant remember too many other names as i was just 10, but i remember the walk out of the park... ugly.

Ahh the good old day lol.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Some great stories here.
To further the thread.
Grew up in Bexley. Went to DLS Kingsgrove with Flanno. Still remember him and I venturing to the Crystal Cylinders factory on Canterbury Road.
Used to sell team stickers with my cousin at the footy every weekend as a young teenager. Travelled everywhere and made a motza.
Moved onto MBK and had many close ties with Saints through students and ex PE teacher Kenny Boothroyd...legend.
As an adult, Lived at Penshurst and Engadine.
Forged many close ties with many players through the 80's and still good mates with many of them...some of them are deadset legends that wore the RED V. Had a lot to do with the club through business. Used to drink there far too frequently !
Am now head of the Noosa branch of St George Tragics and Appreciation Society.

Experienced the high's and low's and this is no different.

Peace out :cool:

TruSaint

Referee
Some great stories here.
To further the thread.
Grew up in Bexley. Went to DLS Kingsgrove with Flanno. Still remember him and I venturing to the Crystal Cylinders factory on Canterbury Road.
Used to sell team stickers with my cousin at the footy every weekend as a young teenager. Travelled everywhere and made a motza.
Moved onto MBK and had many close ties with Saints through students and ex PE teacher Kenny Boothroyd...legend.
Forged many close ties with many players through the 80's and still good mates with many of them...some of them are deadset legends that wore the RED V. Had a lot to do with the club through business. Used to drink there far too frequently !

I am actually amazed how many Saints tragics live in QLD.
Whether Gold Coast or Port Douglas, you always see the red V at some stage.
Its reflected in the attendance we get up there.

Some great stories here.
To further the thread.

Mate, Crschystal Zschylinders, i'd have killed to go to the factory... Golden Breed ...and what were the quick dry board Shorts ????
...Tracks!

classic stuff!!

I have to share a quick funny Story. As I sit here all by myself in my little shop in the middle of nowhere in the black forest of Germany, I just hit send on my last post, and in walks a bloke with ....a Dragon's 2010 Premiership 32-8 teeshirt!!!

It's my uncle from Georges Hall in Australia, completely unannounced. The tee Shirt a gift from my Cousin - also a Dragon's tragic and as a kid my Partner in crime on the John Chapman stand ...What the ??!!

TruSaint

Referee
Mate, Crschystal Zschylinders, i'd have killed to go to the factory... Golden Breed ...and what were the quick dry board Shorts ????
...Tracks!

classic stuff!!

I have to share a quick funny Story. As I sit here all by myself in my little shop in the middle of nowhere in the black forest of Germany, I just hit send on my last post, and in walks a bloke with ....a Dragon's 2010 Premiership 32-8 teeshirt!!!

It's my uncle from Georges Hall in Australia, completely unannounced. The tee Shirt a gift from my Cousin - also a Dragon's tragic and as a kid my Partner in crime on the John Chapman stand ...What the ??!!

God bless HIM

Sandra you missed out lol.

Seriously, Lidcombe oval was massive. Living in the area then, i went to many Wests v Manly games.

The UFC looks tame compared to some of those guys hitting the living sh... out of each other.

Raudonikus, Randall, Gibbs, Boyd, etc... OMG.
Cant remember too many other names as i was just 10, but i remember the walk out of the park... ugly.

Ahh the good old day lol.

...and TS, do you remember when Lidcombe Oval got really full, the Kids were allowed to sit on the bike track inside the fence?? It was soo Close to the sidelines.

And the brawls after match!!!??? There was no such Thing as grond security in those days. Just the one bloke in the White Cotton coat at the entrance turnstyle who took your ticket, made the ground announcements at half time and probably changed the scoreboard too. Think his wife sold pies in the canteen.

TruSaint

Referee
...and TS, do you remember when Lidcombe Oval got really full, the Kids were allowed to sit on the bike track inside the fence?? It was soo Close to the sidelines.

And the brawls after match!!!??? There was no such Thing as grond security in those days. Just the one bloke in the White Cotton coat at the entrance turnstyle who took your ticket, made the ground announcements at half time and probably changed the scoreboard too. Think his wife sold pies in the canteen.

Brother I used to leave that oval so scared it wasnt funny.
Walking to the train station with my older cousin was an event in itself.
The fights, the anger, it was a new world to me.

White cotton man, wore many hats...
PS, i dread to think what was in those pies, but my God i loved them.

As to kids seating. Everywhere and anywhere.

KiamaSaint

Coach
I grew up adjacent to Peakhurst High before moving to Menai and then Kiama for the past 9 years. As a kid I occasionally saw Steve Gearin practicing his goal kicking at Peaky High.

TruSaint

Referee
I grew up adjacent to Peakhurst High before moving to Menai and then Kiama for the past 9 years. As a kid I occasionally saw Steve Gearin practicing his goal kicking at Peaky High.

Kiama, u remember the try he scored off a bomb in the GF for the dogs i think.

RedVee

First Grade
Only a fleeting time in St George for me, though I've been supporting them since around 1970.

When my Grandparents moved to Sydney my Dad found a place for them all in May St Bardwell Park which (I think) started the whole thing off. That was around 1950 give or take a year or two. The 5 brothers that came to Sydney all got married at the Catholic Church in Earlwood, and I think they all played tennis at that tiny little tennis club that is still on Bexley Rd.
So when my parents got married they bought a house just up the hill a way, in Athelstane Ave Arncliffe. Which is where we where living when I was born in 62. We swapped houses with my Grandmother (Mums Mum) when the house in Croydon Park got too big for her in late 64/early 65. But Dad kept dragging us back to Bardwell Park to go to the Dr, and when it was suggested I learn to swim for my asthma they found an indoor heated pool in Bexley.

I'm in Campbelltown now, and the border with Illawarra isn't that far from me - they come up as far as Douglas Park I think.

I went to school at CBHS Lewisham, which when Newtown died became part of St George juniors like Earlwood Saints. A few years after I finished school though... But that's how Osborne became a Saints junior I believe.

Dad and dads family were from Mudgee, yes they are the Mudgee Dragons in RL. they have Swans in AFL, Wolves in soccer and Wombats in RU. :)

And Black Forest, I work with a bloke that reckons he played for Holy Cross in the same team as Benny, so maybe similar vintage to you.

Last edited:

SIR LANCELOT

Juniors
Born in Kiama ,raised in Hurstville.I went to Hurstville Primary then enrolled as an original Kingsgrove High School student in 1960. Our first year was at the old Hurstville School site. A great area to grow up in and now live near Bexley golf course. A tragic Dragon supporter all my life .Currently thinking about learning Cantonese or Mandarin so as to fit in with the neighborhood.

Lancelot :cool::cool::cool:

Last edited:

Smurf

Juniors
I grew up in Pymble
Have followed the dragons since 1973
Now living on the Northern Beaches
And still love the Dragons !!!

Acka

Coach
I am actually amazed how many Saints tragics live in QLD.
Whether Gold Coast or Port Douglas, you always see the red V at some stage.
Its reflected in the attendance we get up there.

I remember going on a holiday to the Gold Coast in 2006. I decided to watch the St George vs Brisbane game at The Sands Hotel in Coolangatta and everyone in the pub was going for St George.

I'm actually amazed that there is quite a few De La Salle Kingsgrove Alumni on here. My Dad went there and one of his schoolmates was Bruce Pollard who played for St George in the 1963 and 66 grand finals

Latest posts