What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where is the push for a 2nd Brisbane team?

KHunt

Juniors
Question: Who the fudge would support this team ?

The Broncos are already there, & the Queensland RL fans who don't like them would either support a team out of state or got swept up by Cowboys & Titans.

If the Bears moved up and here and called themselves the North Brisbane Bears I'd buy a membership.

If any other Sydney team moved up here I'd comtemplate buying a membership.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
I think any 2nd Brisbane team would have to play out of Suncorp. From all reports it has easy access and its too great a stadium to only see NRL standard Rugby League twice a month.

A team in Perth is NOT going to strengthen the comp. It will barely even increase TV revenue. And what crowds do you think a Roosters V Perth game is going to attract at the SFS? Or Bulldogs V Perth at ANZ Stadium?

Brisbane is Rugby League territory. The more teams you have in you area of strength that are sustainable the better.

Loudstrat

Coach
Q: Where is the push for a 2nd Brisbane team?

There was a push by the then ARL for a second Brisbane team. The Brisbane Blonkos created SuperFilthLeague because of this. How dare that Rugby League's true and proper governing body had the gall to want another Brisbane team ?? !! We are the Bonkos!! f**k you you little pissants we'll create our own comp....

They got sh*t on by the ARL comp because League will ALWAYS be stronger and more supported in NSW than anywhere else. Superfilth League came begging back. FU Arko for letting them in the door. You should have SHUT IT for good.

They, the Qlders, still dont get it. Taking out your biggest market is simply R-tarded. <--- Look, Qlders, thats you !!

And you escaped being bashed by the Queenslanders for that? They must be scared you'll spill your latte on their singlet. :lol:

Question: Who the fudge would support this team ?

The Broncos are already there, & the Queensland RL fans who don't like them would either support a team out of state or got swept up by Cowboys & Titans.
Who were Titans fans following in 2006?

The question I can't understand is this: In another thread, QLD are bidding for the GF. Yet they can't sustain another team?

I'm damn certain that Brisbane could house a second Suncorp based side. Over 26 rounds - that's another 13 games to Suncorp. If the average attendance is 20k, that another 260 000 fans into Suncorp per annum. At average ticket prices of $20 (guessing here) - that's an extra $5.2 million in gate alone.

It would be nice ti have another team that can exceed it's player salary just off it's home gate.

Plus adopting the sponsorships the Broncos fans keep telling us we are knocking back.

Not to mention another game each week to see to Poxtel (as the Bears would also come in - one wopuld hope).

But geez, if Brisbane cannot support a second team, it's hardly League heartland, is it!

_Johnsy

Referee
Sydney population = 4,285,000 with 9 teams, average 476,111 fans per side.

Brisbane/GC/SC population = 2,690,000 with 2 teams, average 1,345,000 fans per side.
If we take off the S/C population it comes down to 1.2 million fans per side.

Yet we still have some people who want to protect Brisbane & to a greater extent SE QLD from another team. FMD unbelievable.

Last edited:

KHunt

Juniors
Here's one for all non Bronco fans

Arent you sick of the Broncos doing so well in a city with a population of 1.8mil
They've got this huge population to themselves.

a second team would take off some of the dominance the Broncos have in the NRL

KalgoorlieRed

Juniors
I touched on this in another thread but I fell it deserves one on its own. In the last couple of weeks there's has been threads about expanding the game into area's such as Perth and Central Coast.

Firstly let me just state I am in favor of a Central Coast team, possibly repackaged as the Bears. I am not as keen on a WA team HOWEVER I am not completely opposed to it either.

Brisbane is arguably the biggest Rugby League city in the world in terms of fan support and following. Every Origin game is a guaranteed sell out, Test matches attract 40K regularly. The Bronco's are an established team now and are part of the sporting history of the city. They easily draw the biggest crowds among the NRL teams. So why don't they have a same city rival?:roll:

I think before Central Coast, Perth Reds, Wellington and any other area is explored a second Brisbane team should be introduced IF expansion is indeed on the agenda.
Another selfish eastern states thread.......:oops:

Bluebags1908

Juniors
And you escaped being bashed by the Queenslanders for that? They must be scared you'll spill your latte on their singlet. :lol:

Who were Titans fans following in 2006?

The question I can't understand is this: In another thread, QLD are bidding for the GF. Yet they can't sustain another team?

I'm damn certain that Brisbane could house a second Suncorp based side. Over 26 rounds - that's another 13 games to Suncorp. If the average attendance is 20k, that another 260 000 fans into Suncorp per annum. At average ticket prices of $20 (guessing here) - that's an extra $5.2 million in gate alone.

It would be nice ti have another team that can exceed it's player salary just off it's home gate.

Plus adopting the sponsorships the Broncos fans keep telling us we are knocking back.

Not to mention another game each week to see to Poxtel (as the Bears would also come in - one wopuld hope).

But geez, if Brisbane cannot support a second team, it's hardly League heartland, is it![/quote]

Spot on. Of course Brisbane can sustain another team (without impacting on teh Broncos). Easily. If Adelaide and Perth can have 2 AFL teams then Brisbane can have 2 NRL teams. Easily. And that is still taking into consideration the Gold Coast Titans.

The LAST THING the AFL and their planned Gold Coast team would need is a 3rd SE Queensland NRL team. AFL will be screwed.

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
Here's one for all non Bronco fans

Arent you sick of the Broncos doing so well in a city with a population of 1.8mil
They've got this huge population to themselves.

a second team would take off some of the dominance the Broncos have in the NRL

The Broncos do so well because they've developed a strong business model from the start of there existence. They no longer have access to all SE Qld players, and as you state alot of Brisbane locals wont support the broncos. I see no reason why the broncos wouldn't continue with there success with the inclusion of another Brisbane team.

Sydney population = 4,285,000 with 9 teams, average 476,111 fans per side.

Brisbane/GC/SC population = 2,690,000 with 2 teams, average 1,345,000 fans per side.
If we take off the S/C population it comes down to 1.2 million fans per side.

Your quite clearly stating here that there are too many teams in Sydney for each club to be successful given a reduced fan base? As a St. George fan do you agree that Sydney teams should be consolidated. The reason i ask is you've been through it.

I dont disagree with another team in Brisbane- its a large enough geographical area to host another team.

_Johnsy

Referee
The Broncos do so well because they've developed a strong business model from the start of there existence. They no longer have access to all SE Qld players, and as you state alot of Brisbane locals wont support the broncos. I see no reason why the broncos wouldn't continue with there success with the inclusion of another Brisbane team.

Your quite clearly stating here that there are too many teams in Sydney for each club to be successful given a reduced fan base? As a St. George fan do you agree that Sydney teams should be consolidated. The reason i ask is you've been through it.

I dont disagree with another team in Brisbane- its a large enough geographical area to host another team.

The broncs do have a good business model, and so they should they have had a mortgage on the entire city of 1.8 mill people. A moron could not run that club into the ground if they tried. The area from sunny coast down to the goldie could support 5 teams in total. Yet we have people saying brissy does not need another team, narrow minded in the extreme.

Yes I do believe that teams from Sydney will need to relocate, however having qldérs saying there cannot be another team in se qld is moronic. The argument that qld is the be all and end all of RL shows how little those people really understand our game.

Last edited:

jk13

First Grade
its gotta b west brisbane next, they just need a stadium. up north there is too much else to do for joe citizen. out west, once you can't catch ya cousin, then following footy is all u got

Tidus_Raider

Bench
Another selfish eastern states thread.......:oops:

Not at all. I just think the NRL should put teams in areas that will STRENGTHEN the comp not just EXPAND. Nothing against Perth they clearly get behind their local teams as West Coast and Fremantle have shown but RL is a different scenario all together. Maybe in 15 years or so but not before an 2nd Brisbane team and certainly not before Central Coast.

How did this thread stray from an argument about whether Brisbane should have a second team and become an argument about whether Brisbane could sustain an extra team? The two are completely different issues. Of course Brisbane COULD sustain another team, but that doesn't mean it should get one. Sydney is sustaining 8/9 teams at present, just, but that doesn't make it good policy to have that many there.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
How did this thread stray from an argument about whether Brisbane should have a second team and become an argument about whether Brisbane could sustain an extra team? The two are completely different issues. Of course Brisbane COULD sustain another team, but that doesn't mean it should get one. Sydney is sustaining 8/9 teams at present, just, but that doesn't make it good policy to have that many there.

Because one of the main arguments from people who don't agree with the move is that by including a 2nd team you are diluting the Broncos supporter base to a point where 2 teams vying for the support of locals would not be viable both on the field and commercially. This is ofcourse is an absurd argument, but one put forward by the naysayers nonetheless.

Because one of the main arguments from people who don't agree with the move is that by including a 2nd team you are diluting the Broncos supporter base to a point where 2 teams vying for the support of locals would not be viable both on the field and commercially. This is ofcourse is an absurd argument, but one put forward by the naysayers nonetheless.
I don't think anyone has said that two clubs won't be viable. Brisbane could support two teams, but to say they should is not as clear cut. There's nothing absurd about suggesting that two clubs would weaken the dominant hold the Broncos have, which after all gives RL a string presence there, and for the cost would not be worth it.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
There's nothing absurd about suggesting that two clubs would weaken the dominant hold the Broncos have, which after all gives RL a string presence there, and for the cost would not be worth it.

How could a second team possibly weaken the Bronco's? Competition breeds success. Plus 2 teams means more fans, more publicity, more coverage. Imagine the intense rivalry after 5 years. 10 years. You have 2 guaranteed sell out matches every year at Suncorp.

Did Fremantle hurt West Coast Eagles? Did Port Adelaide hurt Adelaide?

How is it that the AFL is planning on expanding AFL into Western Sydney, Rugby League HEARTLAND, and thus having two teams in a Rugby League city yet fans seem to think that having a second team in Brisbane, arguably the rugby league capital of australia is such a ridiculous idea?

NRLMad

Juniors
The NRL needs to shrink, not grow, in my opinion. Dump 3 Sydney teams, (souths, tigers, panthers)

The Tigers & Souths have HUGE supporter bases. If Souths start to win you'll see that every 2nd person is one of their damn fans.

The Sharks should be booted to the coast. Central Coast Sharks - it's got a good ring to it.

NRLMad

Juniors
IMO we must go with Central Coast & Sunshine Coast for 2012. The risk is too high to bring in Perth when we just don't know what will occur. Next cabs would have to be Perth then maybe Wellington.

Latest posts