What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where is the push for a 2nd Brisbane team?

Tidus_Raider

Bench
I touched on this in another thread but I fell it deserves one on its own. In the last couple of weeks there's has been threads about expanding the game into area's such as Perth and Central Coast.

Firstly let me just state I am in favor of a Central Coast team, possibly repackaged as the Bears. I am not as keen on a WA team HOWEVER I am not completely opposed to it either.

Brisbane is arguably the biggest Rugby League city in the world in terms of fan support and following. Every Origin game is a guaranteed sell out, Test matches attract 40K regularly. The Bronco's are an established team now and are part of the sporting history of the city. They easily draw the biggest crowds among the NRL teams. So why don't they have a same city rival?

I think before Central Coast, Perth Reds, Wellington and any other area is explored a second Brisbane team should be introduced IF expansion is indeed on the agenda.

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
I touched on this in another thread but I fell it deserves one on its own. In the last couple of weeks there's has been threads about expanding the game into area's such as Perth and Central Coast.

Firstly let me just state I am in favor of a Central Coast team, possibly repackaged as the Bears. I am not as keen on a WA team HOWEVER I am not completely opposed to it either.

Brisbane is arguably the biggest Rugby League city in the world in terms of fan support and following. Every Origin game is a guaranteed sell out, Test matches attract 40K regularly. The Bronco's are an established team now and are part of the sporting history of the city. They easily draw the biggest crowds among the NRL teams. So why don't they have a same city rival?

I think before Central Coast, Perth Reds, Wellington and any other area is explored a second Brisbane team should be introduced IF expansion is indeed on the agenda.

Queensland is the home of rugby league. Why stop with one team? Why don't ya'll play amongst yourselves?

stuke

Bench
Gold Coast has only been back for 2 seasons now and needs the breathing space to establish themselves properly in the sporting landscape of the region. the GC and Brisbane are close enough, they really don't need another Brisbane team to impact upon them so early this time around.

Central Coast appears to be ready, but I don't particularly feel that there are enough talented players to go around the competition at the moment to justify a 17th or 18th team.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
Seriously, look at what North Queensland and Gold Coast have brought to the competition. How they have strengthened League in their region. A second Brisbane team would ensure blanket coverage in the media. League will always ne in the headlines. Suncorp stadium is the best league stadium in the country and its is only used twice a month.

In a time when the AFL is being pro-active and looking at expanding in League heartland of western Sydney, how awesome would it be for the NRL to be as pro-active and strengthen its own heartland and in doing so give the AFL a kick in the guts by weakening the impact of the Brisbane Lions.

Imagine an all Brisbane derby on a Sunday afternoon. That whole week would be dedicated to league. And if you don't think it would be then again look at the AFL model of Port Adelaid V Adelaide and West Coast V Fremantle. When those games are on its front page news locally.

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
Seriously, look at what North Queensland and Gold Coast have brought to the competition. How they have strengthened League in their region. A second Brisbane team would ensure blanket coverage in the media. League will always ne in the headlines. Suncorp stadium is the best league stadium in the country and its is only used twice a month.

In a time when the AFL is being pro-active and looking at expanding in League heartland of western Sydney, how awesome would it be for the NRL to be as pro-active and strengthen its own heartland and in doing so give the AFL a kick in the guts by weakening the impact of the Brisbane Lions.

Imagine an all Brisbane derby on a Sunday afternoon. That whole week would be dedicated to league. And if you don't think it would be then again look at the AFL model of Port Adelaid V Adelaide and West Coast V Fremantle. When those games are on its front page news locally.

Agree completely. Queensland teams should play amongst themselves.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
Gold Coast has only been back for 2 seasons now and needs the breathing space to establish themselves properly in the sporting landscape of the region. the GC and Brisbane are close enough, they really don't need another Brisbane team to impact upon them so early this time around.

Central Coast appears to be ready, but I don't particularly feel that there are enough talented players to go around the competition at the moment to justify a 17th or 18th team.

You argument is flawed on several points.

1. By 2012 the Titans would of had 6 years to entrench themselves in the local community. That is plenty of time.

2. The distance between Gold Coast and Brisbane is GREATER then Central Coast and Sydney. Add to that the Gold Coast has double the population of Central Coast.

3. Brisbane is Rugby League HEARTLAND. They would easily absorb another team.

4. For all its boasting of dominance the the NRL will have the same number of team as the A-League in QLD as of next year. How is this possible when League is by far and away the most dominant sport in the state.

5. There are MORE then enough players of ELITE talent playing rugby league. Its a shame they either end up in Super League, Super 14, French Rugby or now Japanese Rugby. Would you like a list of the names playing in these comps. Mark Gasnier, Timana Tahu, Sonny Bill Williams, Lote Tuquiri, Luke Rooney, Berrick Barnes, Craig Gower. Imagine these players re-introduced back into the comp. These players left not because the prefer union but because they could earn more playing it.

shaggy

Juniors
their should not be a push for a second brisbane team for a while
how many extra people are going to start supporting rugby league because of a second brsibane team compared to a team from perth, adelaide or another nz team

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
You argument is flawed on several points.

1. By 2012 the Titans would of had 6 years to entrench themselves in the local community. That is plenty of time.

2. The distance between Gold Coast and Brisbane is GREATER then Central Coast and Sydney. Add to that the Gold Coast has double the population of Central Coast.

3. Brisbane is Rugby League HEARTLAND. They would easily absorb another team.

4. For all its boasting of dominance the the NRL will have the same number of team as the A-League in QLD as of next year. How is this possible when League is by far and away the most dominant sport in the state.

5. There are MORE then enough players of ELITE talent playing rugby league. Its a shame they either end up in Super League, Super 14, French Rugby or now Japanese Rugby. Would you like a list of the names playing in these comps. Mark Gasnier, Timana Tahu, Sonny Bill Williams, Lote Tuquiri, Luke Rooney, Berrick Barnes, Craig Gower. Imagine these players re-introduced back into the comp. These players left not because the prefer union but because they could earn more playing it.

Ok. So introducing another queensland team will triple the value of the australian dollar! Cool. I heard Pauline is running yet again.

LESStar58

Referee

Every time I hear Gallop talk about contemplating expansion he always talks about a 2nd Brisbane team. I think when the NRL considers expansion and a consortium representing a 2nd team in Brisvegas puts it's hand up then let's think about admitting them.

It shouldn't be entirely up to the NRL as to where they put new teams. Let each team bid like the Central Coast, Gold Coast and Wellington had to last time.... unlike the AFL who are commited to farce teams on the GC and Western Sydney when Tasmania is by far and away the better option. It's 100% an AFL decision with expansion.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
their should not be a push for a second brisbane team for a while
how many extra people are going to start supporting rugby league because of a second Brisbane team compared to a team from perth, adelaide or another nz team

There are plenty of people that support Rugby League in Brisbane that DO NOT support the bronco's and this is a fact that many Queenslanders will tell you. There is a reason why the Maroons will sell out every SOO match at suncorp, or why the Cowboys always pull good crowds there too but there are some weeks the bronco's are lucky to scrape 20K. Infact its common knowledge that the Brisbane Lions are pulling crowds on par if not better then the Bronco's.

If you do your homework on the old Brisbane Rugby League in terms of crowds they blew away anything and everything. And there was atleast 8 teams.

In saying that a 2nd Brisbane team will strengthn the Broncs IMO. It would galvanise their supporters, create a true derby, and a REAL ENEMY within their own city thus creating a great rivalry.

LESStar58

Referee
Infact its common knowledge that the Brisbane Lions are pulling crowds on par if not better then the Bronco's.

Do your homework mate. Lions crowds are slipping as they continue to make losses year after year. Face it, the success of 4 straight GF apperances has dried up.

BrisVegas

Juniors
Another SE QLD team is a must within 10/15 years. By 2030 QLD will be the second most populous state in Australia, and SE-QLD will have a population greater than Melbourne. The Broncos needs another local rival not only for the people of Brisbane whom dislike the Broncos, but so a game can be played out of Suncorp almost every week.

Basing a new team primarily out of Lang Park would be a mistake however.

The Sunshine Coast and Western Brisbane are growing rapidly, and to drop another team on top of the Broncos in the city centre would result in a Sydney like problem of NRL licences not being distributed optimally.

A team based out of Sunshine Coast/West Brisbane would ideally play out of a Titans like boutique stadium and take 3 of the years biggest games to Suncorp (much like the Titans will in the future IMO). This team will likely have to be a new venture, state pride still reigns supreme in QLD and I cannot see QLDers throwing their support behind a team that was conceived in NSW. A QLD Cup team being promoted would present the same issue of past loyalties, but on a lesser scale.

Assuming the NRL continues to manipulate the draw to ensure clubs play high drawing opposition twice a season, an additional SE-QLD club would double the number of QLD derby's from the current six games to twelve (A QLD derby every second round). That would result in some huge crowds throughout the season as well as the additional benefits of huge media coverage and increased TV ratings (the Broncos/Titans out rated the Olympics!).

The draw should be scheduled so that at least one game is played in SE-QLD each weekend, and if the Gold Coast and SE-QLD both play 2-3 home games out of Suncorp, the venue would host 16-18 NRL games a year - almost one every week. Once the NRL draw is completely written prior to the start of the season, any Titans/Sunshine Coast home games to be played at Suncorp should be held on a Sunday afternoon to assist people wishing to travel into Brisbane.

The rumblings from here in SE-QLD is that opening levels talks have commenced between the State Government, Local Council, and the NRL about developing Stockland Stadium into a ground capable of being home to an NRL team within the next decade.

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
Another SE QLD team is a must within 10/15 years. By 2030 QLD will be the second most populous state in Australia, and SE-QLD will have a population greater than Melbourne. The Broncos needs another local rival not only for the people of Brisbane whom dislike the Broncos, but so a game can be played out of Suncorp almost every week.

Basing a new team primarily out of Lang Park would be a mistake however.

The Sunshine Coast and Western Brisbane are growing rapidly, and to drop another team on top of the Broncos in the city centre would result in a Sydney like problem of NRL licences not being distributed optimally.

A team based out of Sunshine Coast/West Brisbane would ideally play out of a Titans like boutique stadium and take 3 of the years biggest games to Suncorp (much like the Titans will in the future IMO). This team will likely have to be a new venture, state pride still reigns supreme in QLD and I cannot see QLDers throwing their support behind a team that was conceived in NSW. A QLD Cup team being promoted would present the same issue of past loyalties, but on a lesser scale.

Assuming the NRL continues to manipulate the draw to ensure clubs play high drawing opposition twice a season, an additional SE-QLD club would double the number of QLD derby's from the current six games to twelve (A QLD derby every second round). That would result in some huge crowds throughout the season as well as the additional benefits of huge media coverage and increased TV ratings (the Broncos/Titans out rated the Olympics!).

The draw should be scheduled so that at least one game is played in SE-QLD each weekend, and if the Gold Coast and SE-QLD both play 2-3 home games out of Suncorp, the venue would host 16-18 NRL games a year - almost one every week. Once the NRL draw is completely written prior to the start of the season, any Titans/Sunshine Coast home games to be played at Suncorp should be held on a Sunday afternoon to assist people wishing to travel into Brisbane.

The rumblings from here in SE-QLD is that opening levels talks have commenced between the State Government, Local Council, and the NRL about developing Stockland Stadium into a ground capable of being home to an NRL team within the next decade.

The rumblings within NSW is that by 2030 QLD, as the home of RL, will have their very own competition run by the QRL.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
Do your homework mate. Lions crowds are slipping as they continue to make losses year after year. Face it, the success of 4 straight GF apperances has dried up.

Really?

Average Crowds for Brisbane Lions

2006 - 28 448

2007 - 28 336

2008 - 28 128

Now if you want to compare those figures to the period when they won the 3 flags in a row then ofcourse they are going to dip. Thats normal.They might not be Bronco's numbers but they are numbers other NRL clubs would die for.

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
Really?

2006 - 28 448

2007 - 28 336

2008 - 28 128

Now if you want to compare those figures to the period when they won the 3 flags in a row then ofcourse they are going to dip. Thats normal.They might not be Bronco's numbers but they are numbers other NRL clubs would die for.

So he is right then! Thanks for clarifying dufus!

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Really?

2006 - 28 448

2007 - 28 336

2008 - 28 128

Their crowds have dropped by over 5,000 since 2005. They've been making losses even with the AFL propping them up and I can't tell you the last time that their corporate packages were in demand...

In comparison, the Broncos crowds have risen every year since 2001 and have increased by 5,000 since 2004. The Broncos and Bad-News-Bears are complete opposites in every way.

If we didn't have hundreds of thousands of ex-Victorians living in QLD imagine how poor the crowds for the Fitzroy Bears would be...

macavity

Referee
West Bris and Perth are the priorities IMO

sorry coasties, but you get heaps of footy already. there is a station right near EAS, catch the train to see the mighty Knights.

wait until a sydney team falls over, then put a coastie team in.