What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where is your team at for 2005?

simostorm

Bench
The Mighty Melbourne Storm:
Loses: Kearney, Howe, Reynoldson.
Gains: Dennis Scott, Jaimie Feeney, Ian Donnelly, Brett White(spelling?)
Not signed yet: Danny Williams and Ben Mcdougall

I think alot next season will depend on how well our young guys progress,
Ryan Hoffman, Dallas Johnson have excelled this season and should continue to improve with a strong offseason, other young guns Cooper Cronk and Steve Turner should improve and receive more game time, they are both class rookies who will be more of a force next season,
Cronk is a impact player coming off the bench with a Craig Wing type roll.
Donnelly should add a bit of mongrel to our pack, Scott should fill Kearney's place well and Fenney should be a good impact player off the bench.

My prediction for next season is teamwise we should be a stronger team next season, we should improve on our inconsistency and I think depending on how strong other teams are, I would say we will push for a top 4 probally 4th or 5th.
Player to wacth -Ryan Hoffman, I think will make the rep side in City vs Country game.
2005 Roster:
1.S.Turner/Slater
2.B.Slater/S.Turner
3.Bell
4.Mcdougall
5.King
6.Hill
7.Orford
8.Kearns
9.Smith
10.Chan
11.Kidwell
12.Scott
13.D.Johnson
14.Donnelly
15.Hoffman
16.Feeney
17.Cronk
18.Robinson
19.Geyer
20.G.Turner
21.J.Smith
22.A.Kaufusi
23.G.Inglis
24.M.Turner
25.D. Williams??
Lineup is just guesswork.

Brendon

Juniors
I think Kurt will be in the starting side but I think his utility value is outstanding and should start from the bench. Carmont needs 2 learn how 2 defend and when he does he will be a great player, can score a lot of tries but also can leak them! Brad Tighe I think should be given a go.

GAINS: Kirk Reynoldson, Dustin Cooper (Storm), Jesse Royal (Panthers), Grant Wooden (Wynnam Manly), Dane Campbell (Easts Tigers), Todd Maddison (Wests Newcastle), Kurt Hancock (Bathurst St Pats)

RUMOURED GAINS: Luke Dorn (Roosters), Simon Grix (Halifax)

LOSSES: Ben Kennedy (Eagles), Timana Tahu (Eels), Michael Ennis (Dragons), Matt Parsons, Robbie ODavis and Russell Richardson (Retired)

Tidus_Raider

Bench
Canberra Raiders

2004 in retrospect

Big things were expected from the supporters after overachieving last year. Who could forget the semi-final against the Warriors at a packed Aussie Stadium. Unfortunately it wasnt to be last year but things were looking very bright for season 04. Unfortunately it wasnt to be with us returning to our dark years by failing to win away from home and only maintaining a mediocre home grounf record.

Gains: J. Smith (Hull FC), M. Adamson (Leeds), Howell Brother (saints), J. Ale (Roosters), Bronx Goodwin (Cronulla), Graig Frawley (Brisbane)

Losses: L. Davico, R. Wiki, J.Monaghan, B. Drew, Nick kouparitsas (good signing for tigers IMO)

Imagine taking Webke, Tate, Tallis and Seymour from the broncos. Or Price, O'meley, Tonga and Sherwin. Thats the daunting task the raiders are facing next year. Alot of experience has gone and along with the heart and soul of the club in Ruben Wiki.

However it might seen all doom and gloom but I actually think that the raiders will be a stronger side next year. What we lose in experience with the departure of davico and Wiki hopefully we get back in Adamson and Smith. How these players hold up at NRL level is the only question mark i've got.

Finally our halves problem seem solved with outstanding halfback Todd Carney ready to make the step up. You think Firman and Head have talent. Wait till this guy is unleashed next year. Ofcourse this means Mclinden may finally be able to play his best position of 5/8th and without the responsibility of organising the attack he should come into his own. Our backline stocks look better than ever with the addition of Frawley and boom centre J. Ale. Check this guys jersey Flegg stats. He is a dead set freak and I know the Roosters were furious at losing him. Goodwin is a Australian schoolboy with huge wraps on him. Add recent 4-try hero Marshal Chalk, along side phil Graham and you have a a back line to savour. Joel who?

My Top Side:

1.Schif
2.Graham
3.Frawley
4.Mogg
5.Chalk
6.Mclinden
7.Carney
8.O'hara
9.Woolford
10.Weyman-If he stays fit this guy will be better than Webcke. Dont believe me? Watch his performances this year.
11.Hindmarsh
12.Croker
13.Smith

14.Adamson
15.Miller
16.Cross
17.Hodgson

Team was done in a hurry so if i've forgotten anyone please let me know.

Brendon

Juniors
Bulgarelli???????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nah in all honesty the guy works his ass off and for that I feel sorry for him

MOON MAN

Juniors
North Queensland Cowboys.

Im expecting the Cowboys to improve even more next year, hopefully to 5th or 6th on the ladder.

In: Thurston, Webb, Smith
Out: Campion, Morrison, McDonald.

Morrison will be a big blow, but good luck to the champion, he gave it 100% everytime he played for us.

My Team for 2005.

1. Bowen
2. Williams
3. Hannay
4. Bowman
5. Sing
6. Thurston
7. Sheppard
8. Rauhihi
9. Payne
10. Tronc
11. Webb
12. O'Donnell
13. Norton

14. Jensen
15. Sargent
16. Smith
17. McWilliams

Kris_man

Bench
As Tidus already noted:
In: Jason Smith , M. Adamson, David Howell, Michael Howell, Jermaine Ale, Bronx Goodwin, Craig Frawley

Out: L. Davico, R. Wiki, J.Monaghan, B. Drew, Nick Kouparitsas (good signing for tigers IMO)

My Raiders team for 2005.

1.Schifcofske
2.Frawley
3.Phil Graham
4.Mogg
5.Chalk/D.Howell
6.Jason Smith
7.Carney *
8.O'Hara
9.Woolford
10.Weyman
11.Hindmarsh - needs to improve. fast. he's got the right build, he just needs to use it.
12.Adamson
13.Croker

14.Michael Hodgson
15.Miller
16.Cross
17.McLinden

18.Jermaine Ale - definitely a star. hopefully he'll get a run next year, there's no rush to bring him up though.
19.Matt Gafa
20.Kris Kahler
21.Terry Campese

* = according to a Raiders forum poll, Jason smith and not Carney will most likely be the first string halfback. Most of us would prefer Carney though.

Broncodroid

Juniors
BRISBANE BRONCOS

1. Karmichael HUNT
2. Brent TATE
3. Shaun BERRIGAN
4. Justin HODGES
5. Gary TOPOU

6. Darren LOCKYER [c]
7. Brett SEYMOUR

13. Tony CARROLL
12. Dane CARLAW
11. Brad THORN
10. Petero CIVONECEVA
9. Michael RYAN
8. Shane WEBCKE

14. Casey McGUIRE
15. Corey PARKER
16. Neville COSTIGAN
17. David STAGG

18. Brad MEYERS
19. Tom LEAROYD
20. Barry BERRIGAN
21. Scott MINTO
22. Neale WYATT
23. Sam THAIDAY

* There seems to be a lot of conjecture amongst Bronco fans about where Justin Hodges will be playing next season, IMO, Bennett has not recruited the big fella’ for the wing position.

Most forget, Hodges 2003 was in the top 2 or 3 in his position earning a QLD jersey in the ¾ position. The combination of size and speed was too much for many centers too handle and only now, late in 2004, are we seeing flashes of what the guy is capable of.

Tate is a victim of his own versatility which will be much to his dismay given he is a world class center in his own right. Bennett has not hesitated in moving Tate to the wing in times gone by where Tate has not let us down. Given he is the quicker of the two, especially off the mark, I see Tate complementing Hodges well.

Hodges is a big, strong runner of the ball, playing outside a guy who is already going to draw alot of attention in Lockyer, holes should appear for Hodges as they once did in 2003 outside Fittler. Hodges does have the ability to pop the pass ala’ Gidley to his outside back, this move may just see Tate go to the top 3 or 4 in the try scoring list in 2005.

** For all the hype 2 try debutant Gary Topou is receiving, he still has a lot of work ahead of him to become a regular first grade footballer. The only reason I have him ahead of the reliable Scott Minto is the simple fact the neck injury Minto has picked is from what I am hearing, career threatening. Has Minto played his last Bronco’s game ? Perhaps.

*** Bennett has shown for the last 3 seasons this…he is a fan of Dane Carlaw and he will start if he is healthy for the Broncos. Season 2005 will see him partner Thorn in the backrow with the like of Costigan, Meyers, Parker and Stagg riding the bench which will be as competitive as ever.

**** Michael Ryan provided us with the slickest service from dummyhalf and if he comes through pre-season with a clean billing, he should be starting in the 9 for mine. Ryan is a clever player who really helps in plugging up the ruck which we can be guilty of slacking in. Berrigan will be a contender again here given his early season form, IMO the younger man will win this positional battler if he is playing in the preseason.

The Plan ?

Much of the same from 2004. Look to dominate in the forwards and then going to the brilliance of Lockyer to take care of the rest with representives Berrigan, Hodges, Tate and future maroon Hunt reaping the rewards.

With everyone fit, we are going to have some real depth, especially in the forwards department. The competition for a spot in the 17 will be at an all time high at Brisbane.

2005 I hope to see the emergence of Brett Seymour so as to avert some of the pressure Lockyer is put under by the opposition, much the way Finch has done for Fittler this season.

Other than that, the above is already too much thinking about next season given we are going into our finals campaign which will see our inspirational leader in Gordie Tallis exit from the game.

CC_Eagle

First Grade
MANLY

2004 was an average year. As fans we lapped up the clubs hype during the offseason about the new signings and definate top eight finish. Come mid season we were all frequent visitors at psycologist clinics nation wide. However the potential showed by the side in its last ten encounters leaves us tragics with alot of hope for 05. Manly won seven out of their last ten games, and going very close to beating some top four sides.

GAINS : Brent Kite, Ben Kennedy, Ashley Alberts, Travis Burns, Matt Ballin,Adam Luchetti
RUMOURED GAINS : Ben Harris, Jamie Peacock,
LOSSES : Ian Donnelly, Albert Torrens,Jeff Robson,Nathan Hollingsworth,Robert Chauvet,Jarrod Heaney,Kevin McGuiness signed with Salford-mid season 2004
RETIRED : Andrew Walker
RE-SIGNED : Mailangi Styles (1yr), Mitch Creary (1yr), Kylie Leuluai, Scott Donald (2yrs), John Hopoate (1yr), Luke Williamson (2yrs), Glen Stewart (3yrs), Brett Stewart (3yrs), Steve Menzies (2yrs), Sam Harris (3yrs), Anthony Watmough (3yrs)
OFF CONTRACT : Nick Bradley-Qalilawa, Nathan Tutt, Nick Patterson, Mark Lennon

#1 - Brett Stewart
#2 - Scott Donald
#3 - Chris Hicks/Anthony Watmough/Steve Menzies
#4 - NBQ/Darren Peachey/Rob Toshak/Jarrod Taylor
#5 - Mitch Creary/NBQ/Darren Peachey/Jarrod Taylor
#6 - Luke Williamson
#7 - Michael Monaghan (8th in Dally M's even after 9 games on the sideline...3rd for try assists)
#8 - Brent Kite/Daniel Heckenberg
#9 - Chad Randall
#10 - Jason King
#11 - Anthony Watmough
#12 - Ben Kennedy
#13 - Steve Menzies

#14 - Kylie Leuluai
#15 - Glenn Stewart/Sam Harris
#16 - Shane Dunley
#17 - John Hopoate

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Lookout for :

Anthony Watmough - he WILL play SOO before 07.
Jason King - If he had of played atleast 22 games this season he would be in contention for a test jersey.
Glenn Stewart - Won't be just "the brother of..."
Chris Hicks - Can't see why the Panthers let him go...
Kylie Leuluai - Averages 2 big hits per game and breaks the line in every hitup. Will be unlucky not to get a NZ jumper this year. He will be the no1 enforcer in the NRL in 05

The side has depth in most positions.

#1 - Mark Lennon
#2 - Darren Peachey
#3 - Rob Toshak/Jarrod Taylor
#4 - Paul Stephenson
#5 - NBQ/John Hopoate/Mitch Creary
#6 - JP Cherry
#7 - Clint Halden
#8 - Daniel Heckenberg,Nick Patterson,Kane Cleal
#9 -Jordon Macey
#10 - Soloman Haumono
#11 - Phil Morwood
#12 - Nathan Tutt
#13 - Glenn Stewart

The only thing we have to pray for is that Monas or Walker don't get injured!

Apolgies if there's too much wank/bias..

Anonymous

Juniors
This is how I think Elliot will line the Raiders up for round 1 next year:

1-C.Schifcofske
2-M.Chalk
3-A.Mogg
4-C.Frawley
5-P.Graham
6-M.McLinden
7-J.Smith
8-T.Thompson
9-S.Woolford(c)
10-R.O'Hara
11-I.Hindmarsh
12-M.Adamson
13-J.Croker

14-M.Hodgson
15-M.Weyman
16-J.Miller
17-T.Carney

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
I think that will be smack on, Timbo.

To everyone - these previews are great (though it seems that EVERYONE will be improving next year, which will make for an interesting table). Nice job!

wydie

Juniors
The Southern Orcas would ideally be:

1: Motu Tony
2: Henry Fa'afili
3: Vince Mellars
4: Paul Whatuwia
5: Vesley Vinakolo
6: Robbie Paul
7: Thomas Leuleuia
8: Joe Vangana
9: Jason Carniege
10: Mr Effective
11: Ali Lauititi
12: Stephen Kearney
13: Sione Fuimunia

:p

JW

Coach
Kiwi said:
The ideal Broncos team I think will be.

1 - Hunt
2 - Topou
3 - Berrigan
4 - Tate/Hodges
5 - Tate/Hodges
6 - Lockyer
7 - Seymour
8 - Webcke
9 - Costigan
10 - Petero
11 - Thorn
12 - Parker
13 - Stagg/Carroll

Reserves from

14 - Carlaw
15 - McGuire
16 - Learoyd
17 - Stagg/Carroll
18 - Meyers
19 - Thaiday
20 - Ryan
21 - B Berrigan
22 - Kelly
23 - Lacey ( watch out for this kid )

A group of youngsters in there hey. I'd arrange it slightly different, but I'm sure we'll see a few surprises come Rnd 1 kick-off next year.

1. Hunt
2. Tupou
3. Tate
4. S. Berrigan
5. Hodges
6. Lockyer
7. Seymour
8. Webcke
9. B. Berrigan
10. Civoniceva
11. Thorn
12. Parker (if not becoming 2005 GK, then switch with Carlaw)
13. Carroll

14. McGuire
15. Stagg
16. Carlaw
17. Costigan

18. Learoyd
19. Thaiday
20. Barnes (must get a crack next year, very talented)
21. Lacey (ditto)
22. Meyers
23. Kelly
24. Ryan

Cheers.

nqboy

First Grade
Like Moonman, I reckon we'll continue to improve but I doubt we'll go forward on the table as other teams will do likewise. We've too many 'average' FGers in the side to trouble the big guns, though our strength and depth has improved every year since the arrival of Muzz. If we make the eight again and consolidate this year's effort, I'll be happy. Anything more will be a bonus.

Sure, we'll miss Morro but we learnt to win without him this year. Southern established himself and Mark Dalle Cort was expected to before a knee injury wrote his season off. We rely far too much on RA, even with the emergence of Tronc, and Webb has been brought to address this area. I'd leave him on the bench for impact when RA is spelled. LOD re-established himself this year and Tex has played a lot better in the second half of the season. Rocket Rod Jensen has been a surprise packet, even after scoring a million tries in PL last year. His versatility is a major plus.

Shep is a clever half but slow and a speed bump in defence. Thurston will add valuable penetration at 5/8, but Bulldogs fans reckon he's another speed bump. We're solid defensively in the centres but lack penetration and speed.

I've watched the Young Guns a few times this year, no-one outstanding that I've seen coming through. Va'asa runs hard but is very raw and gets lost too easily in defence. I'm still hoping J-Lo comes through, he's big and strong and can dent the line but he needs to run hard and straight every time, lose the pirouhette, and use his shoulder in tackles instead of falling on teammates' kills. Dean Limpus does all that but struggled (through injury I think) to make the Guns.

Our best: Mango, Ty, Josh, Bear, Sing, Thirsty, Shep, Tex, LOD, Bluey, RA, Happy, Truck RES: Rocket, Webb, Sarge and Mu.

for the Tigers next year i have a go and say

1.Hodgson
2.Moodie/Greally (still doubt weather moodei will go) (Greally watch out 4 ths kid)
3.Whatuiria
4.Elford
5.Richards
6.Marshall
7.Prince
8.Payton
9.Fitzhenry
10.Skandalis
11.Laffranchi
12.O'neil
13.Gelea

14.Farah
15.Halatau
16.Harrison
17.Gibbs

18.Meridith
19.Patterson

Melbourne Storm:

The future looks bright for the Storm with Bellamy now starting to make progress on his gameplan and has a proven ability to discover young talent that are making strong impacts on the NRL - Billy Slater is now starting to mature as a player and don't be surprised is he pops up in the centres next year.

Dustin Hoffman and Dallas Johnson will make their mark on 05 and look to be solid long term prospects for the Storm.

Cameron Smith will be the next captain and will be looking to gain an aussie jersey next year.

The loss of Kearney and Reynoldson will make our forward pack a little unbalanced and it will be vital for Alex Chan and Robbie Kearns take control and lead by example. Chan cannot afford more suspensions !!!.

All in all; I see Storm finishing approximately 4th-5th.

;-)

Tupac Shakur

First Grade
should be something like this

1. rhys wesser
2. trent clayton/luke dyer
3. paul franze/michael gordon
4. luke lewis/danny galea
5. luke rooney
6. preston campbell
7. craig gower (c)
8. joel clinton
9. luke priddis
10. ben ross
11. joe galuvao
12. tony puletua
13. trent waterhouse

interchange
14. frank pritchard
15. shane rodney
16. garrett crossman
17. luke swain/danny galea
18. jason wrigley
19. ben rogers
20. daniel russell
21. ben pomeroy
22. frank puletua
23. david mclean
24. peter lewis
25. brett howland.

brook

First Grade
The tigers started the year strongly but, once again, crashed and burned when the pressure was applied. The upside for our season was the fact that most of the younger players rose to the challange when given a shot in first grade - relegating veterans like beuttner and graham to reserves.

Next year I will predict a slight improvement and expect us to scrape into the eight but we still lack the front row depth that would enable us to really trouble the top teams.

I'm not even going to try to pick a top 17 - I will though predict it to change dramatically throughout the year as more and more kids force their way into the side at the expense of the remaining veterans.

Also Robbie Farah and Jeff Lima who both impressed early this year, before they were added to our ever-growning injury list, will return and make up for lost time -I expect both to have claimed regular first grade spots by the end of the year.

Our success or failure next year will hinge on the performance of 5 players - the 5 key 'veterans' (several of them still rather young) who we will be relying on to stabalise our team and provide the leadership needed for the younger kids. Scott Prince (who I believe will be made captain following senters retirement), Brett Hodgson, Ben Galea, Mark O'Neill and John Skandalis

If those 5 players can stay injury free and in good form we have enough young talent to make next year our most successful yet and pave the way for a very exciting 2006. However I don't like our chances if more than one or two of those 5 either fail to rise to the challange or else suffer serious injury

nqboy

First Grade
How's that Liam Fulton going? I liked the look of him in a couple of FG games I saw him in last season.

brook

First Grade
fulton is still looking very impressive

played a handful of first grade games this year and will almost certainly get more next year - the only thing that might hold him back is his size