What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where next for Origin?

Perth Red

Post Whore
With Perth already a huge success, Adelaide and Melbourne locked in, where do we take the greatest show to next in 2022? Perth is keen to host again by sounds of it. Singapore might open the game to some new corporates and provide a great holiday option for fans. Hong Kong maybe or is it time for us to put some love to the game in NZ and send it over the ditch? How about Wembley? A step too far?

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/19/nrl-open-talks-to-bring-state-of-origin-back-to-perth/

T-Boon

Coach
Auckland and Christchurch could bid against one another. I like the idea of a South Island origin so I can go and take in the scenery plus do some trout fishing and mountain biking.

Big Pete

Referee
They'll never do it because of the seating capacity, but State of Origin in Townsville would make for an interesting build-up and could ensure that one of the Rugby League heartlands doesn't get forgotten about in the wake of Brisbane 2 and Perth.

Pommy

Coach
With Perth already a huge success, Adelaide and Melbourne locked in, where do we take the greatest show to next in 2022? Perth is keen to host again by sounds of it. Singapore might open the game to some new corporates and provide a great holiday option for fans. Hong Kong maybe or is it time for us to put some love to the game in NZ and send it over the ditch? How about Wembley? A step too far?

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/19/nrl-open-talks-to-bring-state-of-origin-back-to-perth/

I would love to see it in London just to laugh when nobody complains about these athletes doing the long haul.
Send it to old Trafford tickets would sell out immediately. I know so many league fans who have Origin on their bucket list.

Should never leave either state.

This

Should also be reduced to a single game if the international game builds enough. Thats far more important

Nope. Origin ain't broke nor does it need tinkering. If International Rugby league takes off, Origin will still stand as one of spectacles of the game(International Rugby League). It is the best Rugby League on the planet. Nothing else comes close.

Check out how many Aussie sports-people of every sport and code become rabid Blues and Maroons fans at Origin time. Then check out anything other than a Grand Final and see if there is even anything like the across the board interest from society in general. Even AFL fans like Origin(to a degree). Origin is a phenomenon and should be preserved and promoted. Not exploited.

davi

Juniors

A big NO from me taking it overseas. NRL needs to concentrate building up its support in Perth, Adelaide, and Melbourne rather then Hong Kong, Singapore, and London.

davi

Juniors
Should never leave either state.

Should also be reduced to a single game if the international game builds enough. Thats far more important

If NRL wants expansion it has to share its biggest Rugby League event with other states other then QLD and NSW. State of Origin series generates the NRL 30 million reducing it to one game won't happen there would be a huge backlash from fans, sponsors, and television if it was ever attempted.

Greenstar5

Juniors
Can't see it ever leaving Australian shores. Would require huge financial backing to get it to places in Asia or even the UK. The only reason it leaves NSW or Qld is because the various State Governments pay big money to host it.

Only Auckland has a big enough stadium in NZ to host it. But the time zone doesn't help. Can't see 9 having the game at 6pm AEST.

I do enjoy that there is a neutral venue. Has added something extra with all the talk about Perth. Same will happen next year in Adelaide. Can see the WA Gov paying for the rights to a game in 2022 by the end of this year.

jargan83

Coach
WA State Government have already indicated they’d love to have Origin back again so it’s probably only a matter of time.

Great news for Rugby League to have the likes of Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide bidding for the 3rd game in the series.

typicalfan

Coach
WA State Government have already indicated they’d love to have Origin back again so it’s probably only a matter of time.

Great news for Rugby League to have the likes of Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide bidding for the 3rd game in the series.
I like the idea of sharing it with each of these cities and making it an institution. Do it long enough and it becomes normal. Good for the series as Qld and NSW get one game each and good for the game.

Pedge1971

First Grade
With the immense success of AFL in China, surely the only realistic option is to take the game to Tasmania. Would feel like a home game for the Queenslanders...

mattyg

Bench
20 - Adelaide
21 - Melbourne
22 - Auckland
23 - Las Vegas
24 - Perth
25 - Adelaide*
26 - Melbourne
27 - London

Reflector

Juniors
It should stay in Aus/ NZ.

1 game in Sydney and Brisbane each year so no team has home ground advantage.

Then the 3rd game alternates between:

Auckland
Wellington
Melbourne
Adelaide
Perth

I'd like to think they won't take Origin anywhere else overseas besides NZ, but I still remember a day when I never thought Origin jerseys would be tarnished by a major sponsor, or that teams would actually wear 'alternate' jerseys. Money talks I guess.

Cd62MrzUsAAmC-o.jpg

Danish

Referee
Origin will never go to NZ.

Channel 9 aren’t going to allow an origin game to kick off in the early evening

Latest posts