What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where should the next team be located

Where should next nrl team be located

• Central Coast

Votes: 54 32.0%
  • Darwin

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Perth

Votes: 55 32.5%
  • Freemantle

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Adelaide

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Hobart

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • Wellington

Votes: 27 16.0%

• Total voters

markstan

Juniors
The reason why the crowd sucked in Adelaide tonight is cos the two teams had no affiliation with South Australia, and South Australians wont buy that crap they support SA not some other teams! It was at Hindmarsh which sucks, they would have got much more at Adelaide oval. 7,000 rugby League fans turned up which aint too bad. Adelaide had big crowds initially 30,000+ with the rams, bigger than any Sydney club gets!

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Ant said:
The crushers finally gave brisbane a 2nd team, so not everyone had to support the broncos. The early cross town rival stuff was great. SL blew the crushers out of the water for 2 reasons. 1 the over inflated player market, the crushers budget was thrown out the window. 2, most qlders sided with SL, seeing the ARL as a NSW dominated org, the crushers were seen as theirs.

Qlder's are hicks, there is no changing that.

Now the reds, it was a market that had so many chances. League had been well supported when it took games to perth. A population of over 1 million, and so many expats from england and south africa, people longing for something that had the word rugby in the name.

Mate, f*ck the England, NZ and SA sh*te.... go to North Beach or South Perth RL clubs, 1/3 of perth has roots from guys who moved from NSW or Qld in the early 70's, these are the people who had affinity for RL, the guys who gave 10,000+ corwds in the early 90's and averaged 20,000 for Reds games before April 1, 1995 and SL gave them all the sh*ts.

They may have had supoprt for their "old" teams if they were from NSW, but their kids supported the Reds en masse.... however the dreams of all these kids were taken away in 1997 when the reds folded.

The reds averaged 13000 crowds in their first season. The reds u/17 team won the SL title, with only 1 non WA player in their team. Perhaps unlike other markets (Adelaide and Melbourne), Perth represents a new major recruiting area.

Not anymore it doesn't.... the u'17's who won the title in 1997, are now 26 years old slobs with no fitness, and no one has run with the banner since.... there is an absolute vacuum of talent in RL, that was once very visible pre 1995.

So my view it was tradgedy that we left Perth and it is an area with so much potential. So we should go there.

Mate the greatest tragedy is that RL in 1994 was more popular that RU is in Perth right now, it had 1000's of juniors, over 70 schools playing it... a Western Reds team _STILL_ playing NRL, 11 years after being introduced in 1995 would have a majority of WA born players and maybe being close to making SOO a 3-way series... however it is dead now.. back to ground zero.

It took 50 years from soldiers immigrating here after WWII to 1995 to get it where it was... and it is essentially 1945 again in Perth as far as RL development goes. Right now there is no potential.

I love Perth, and if Perth got an NRL team, there is no way I'd ever return to Sydney.. RL at that level is the only thing missing...but Perth is _SO_ far from being ready for an NRL side it isn't funny.

I think those suggesting the storm should move have rocks in their heads and are extremely narrow minded. Have you learnt nothing from the AFL experience. It took 15 years for the swans and bears/lions to gain a foothold in their markets. Those teams gradually won over the media outlets who now spruik them heavily despite the fact that clearly league is 4 times as popular. The storm have been around for 9 years, thats all. They face a much more hostile media in melbourne. But if we are talking about league remaining strong we must be in Victoria australia's 2nd largest pop state. Nearly 5 million people surely that is a growth area, especially with much work being done at grass roots level, especially schoolboys.

We have to stay with Melbounre now that we've made our bed there, at the sacrifice of Perth.. it would be treating the Perth experiment in vain to give up in Melbourne too.

But that said, if we could go back to 1995 and avoid the SL war... I'd pick Perth over Melbourne in a heartbeat... Melbourne is such a sporting cultural backwater.. it's just sad... but we've laid a lot on the line there, and we'd better make the best of it.

T to the T

Juniors
Next should be Wellington then Perth then Central Coast. A second team in Brisbane then should be set up to create a 20 club competition:cool:

nqboy

First Grade
The best suggestion I have seen on this topic was someone who said that two teams should be added with each TV upgrade. Everyone else is talking pie-in-the-sky.

But which two? I only see four possibilities - CC, Wellington, Perth and 2nd Brisbane.

Another key point is that there were only offers on the table for two of those. I don't know if they still are, we haven't heard much from them in a while. I reckon the NRL should set a tentative timetable (e.g. "Two teams will be added with the next TV upgrade in 2010(?)") so that bidders have something to build towards.

nqboy

First Grade
Each of those four have good things to offer. CC has a great stadium, strong junior support and a league mad community waiting to jump on board. Against them is the fact the NRL don't want the Bears back in, preferring that someone relocates there (Souths have daid no and no-one else is putting their hand up or looks like they might need to). The Southern Orcas can unite the whole of NZ south of Auckland, increase the TV deals, provide more opportunities for Kiwi juniors and help strengthen the Black and Whites, providing a boon to the international game.

2nd Brisbane (Redcliffe/Sunshine Coast perhaps) would draw huge support from the anti-Broncos element in SEQ, provide more opportunities for Qld kids to come through and keep Origin competitive. Perth opens up a brand new market, giving a NATIONAL feel to the NATIONAL Rugby League and increasing the TV deal and attractions to sponsors.

Good reasons all. But the first thing is the NRL must provide leadership on the issue by setting a timetable for expansion.

As we all know the NRL is the best football competition in the world and adding 4 new teams over the next 5 yeas will make it even better.
I'd go

Wellington Perth Adelaide and Darwin

Then I'd add an international division and make it a Australasin/pacific football comp

Singapore
Malaysia
Hong Kong
Tokyo
Yokohama
Jarkata
Shanghai
Beijing
Macau
Fiji
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Vancouver
Mexico City
Panama City
Santiago

The 6 top sides in the Asian Pacific division would play a 12 team finals series against the top 6 teams from the Australian division.

Just think the world will have never seen anything like it football will cement it's place as the world s number one sport.

brooksy19

Bench
Id suspect the cost of flying those teams around the planet like that would send the governing body bankrupt in about 6 months.

A better Idea would be strengthing those countries internal leagues in hope of a) consolidating Rugby League in those area's as a genuine sport and b) improving the International game to Soccer status.

Just imagine it a prelim final LA v The Dragons 100,000 people crammed in to the Rose Bowl.

or Mexico City v The Bronco's 125,000 watching at the Azteca plus another billion on the TV.

Parra v Shanghai at Telstra would bring in 80,000+ with all the Chinese in Sydney.

Or Melbourne against Santiago at the MCG theres a lot of Chileans in Melbourne a crowd of 90,000+ that one.

brooksy19

Bench
Joey J no1 Footballer said:
Just imagine it a prelim final LA v The Dragons 100,000 people crammed in to the Rose Bowl.

or Mexico City v The Bronco's 125,000 watching at the Azteca plus another billion on the TV.

Parra v Shanghai at Telstra would bring in 80,000+ with all the Chinese in Sydney.

Or Melbourne against Santiago at the MCG theres a lot of Chileans in Melbourne a crowd of 90,000+ that one.

Gotta love a dreamer.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
I think the TV deal expires in 2012. Have to agree two teams should be addedat this point and another two around 2018 when the next deal would roughly be done (also when News is expected to f-off).
I would like a 20 team comp with the CC and Perth firstly and then a second Brisbane team and Wellington joining.

brooksy19 said:
Gotta love a dreamer.

Yep but this dream will be a reality imagine these city's playing football or seeing top international footballers like Joey Johns best footballer in the world on a regular basis of course they'd get massive crowds.

nqboy

First Grade
the surprise here is the number of people voting for Perth. It's not a heartland like SEQ and didn't bid last time round like CC and Wellington.

ozzie

Bench
LeagueXIII said:
The obvious team in Sydney is the Roosters no juniors, inconsistent crowds and nowhere to grow, but it won't happen.
Why does a team have to move from Sydney?
We don't need Adelaide, population growth expected in the next 20 to 50 years is virtually nil, leave it for AFL.

don't you mean hardly any juniors but have the second biggest club in the South's Juniors, have now gained four more of the Souths Junior teams in newtown through the affliation. Between newtown and Roosters eight junior teams out of about 24, leagueXIII who do you follow again?

rugged

Juniors
If they did another Brisbane team (only as a relocation of a Sydney team IMO), they should do one with a semi-separate geographical area and one with established roots ie the Redcliffe Dolphins. As much as I don't like the dolphins, that would be a good way to go.

Knightmare

Coach
Souths won't be moving to the Central Coast now the privitisation bid has been appproved. The fans (the major stakeholders) woudn't allow it. Also, the person who used 1995-96 as a reason as to why a 20 team competition wouldn't work is kidding themselves. SuperLeague, with it's inflated contracts, made the playing field far from level. If it happened now, the competition would be alot more even.

Schillaci

Juniors
How about the St.Kilda Bears? I dont think it will be long before the NRL takes over Melbourne on the back of these great new television advertisments.

Latest posts