What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where should the next team be located

Where should next nrl team be located

• Central Coast

Votes: 54 32.0%
  • Darwin

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Perth

Votes: 55 32.5%
  • Freemantle

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Adelaide

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Hobart

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • Wellington

Votes: 27 16.0%

• Total voters

Woods99

Juniors
jamesgould said:
I think Wellington and Perth. New Zealand needs a second side, at the moment the crapness of the Warriors must make it very tempting for the media to turn a blind eye to league, luckily it hasn't happened yet though. If there are two NZ sides then league will get so much stronger here. I've been saying this for years ...

Plus, I might add, look at where the majority of unrepresented players come from in the NRL. Are there heaps from Central Coast or Perth that would love to be playing for their own home side? No! Are there huge amounts of New Zealanders? Yes.

Auckland will be lucky to survive, with the attendances they draw.

Who wants to throw money away on a second NZ franchise? A Belgian beer billionaire?:roll:

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Woods99 said:

Who wants to throw money away on a second NZ franchise? A Belgian beer billionaire?:roll:

Gate takings are only part of the NRLs income.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
No teams should be moved out of Sydney, fullstop. By doing that you allow other sports the opportunity to take what we have. Would the Swans and union be as popular today if Norths or teams weren't forced out were still around, I doubt it very much.
If league can get revenue from betting eventually we can have 20 teams, and to say two or three teams get thrashed each week is garbage because today with 15 teams the same thing happens, didn't Newcastle beat the Dragons last week by nearly 50, Penrith and Brisbane thrashed Parra and Souths?
The bottom line is the more people following league the better all round.

InsaneShark

Juniors
How does the Central Coast Rabbitohs and the Perth Sharks sound.

Considering Cronulla Sharks just had a massive multi-million dollar development with the leagues club and ground approved and pending construction it would be ridiculous. They have just basically cemented there financial future and they should just pack up and leave a massive club behind?

Something needs to be done, Central Coast needs a team before its too late and "football" takes all intrest up there.
NRL needs to be expanded but very slowly and carefully.

legend

Coach
I find it amazing the A League and NBL can both have teams in Perth & Adeliade along with the ARU and AFL but League does not.

The NRL have to bite the bullet and set up teams in both Perth and Adelaide and relocate the Bulldogs to the Central Coast. They are the most nomadic of the Sydney clubs and it would give the club the opportunity to cleanse itself, shed the scumbag image and attrace a massive new supporter base.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Wellington. Another team could really turn the tide in NZ. Help with a larger TV contract and give NZ a local rivalry.

Dogs Of War

Coach
legend said:
... relocate the Bulldogs to the Central Coast. They are the most nomadic of the Sydney clubs and it would give the club the opportunity to cleanse itself, shed the scumbag image and attrace a massive new supporter base.

But we already have a huge supporter base. Maybe one of the teams that is less well supported in Sydney is the one that should move.

As for Nomadic, we have only moved once from Belmore to Homebush. THats a hell of a lot less nomadic that many of the other sydney teams.

jamesgould

Juniors
Woods99 said:

Why would they be lucky to survive? Who is trying to either kick them out or remove funding to them?

As I said in my post, a second side will mean that at least one would be successful each year, improving the overall profile of league in NZ and ensuring it doesn't drop off the media radar when one side is unsuccessful.

If every team that had poor attendances for a few seasons got booted out we would currently be watching Newcastle play North Queensland every week. Get a clue.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
The obvious team in Sydney is the Roosters no juniors, inconsistent crowds and nowhere to grow, but it won't happen.
Why does a team have to move from Sydney?
We don't need Adelaide, population growth expected in the next 20 to 50 years is virtually nil, leave it for AFL.

legend

Coach
Dogs Of War said:
But we already have a huge supporter base. Maybe one of the teams that is less well supported in Sydney is the one that should move.

As for Nomadic, we have only moved once from Belmore to Homebush. THats a hell of a lot less nomadic that many of the other sydney teams.

Weren't the Dogs playing out of Parramatta Stadium for a while and possibly the SFS? They've taqken games to the Coast in the past and I think it would be a good move because the SHowground sucks and they will never get back to Belmore.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
legend said:
Weren't the Dogs playing out of Parramatta Stadium for a while and possibly the SFS? They've taken games to the Coast in the past and I think it would be a good move because the SHowground sucks and they will never get back to Belmore.

They've been playing out of Telstra since 1999 now, only one year taking all of their games to the SSG. As of this year, they are fulltime at Telstra and won't be playing at the SSG again. The Roosters are taking their R22 game against Newcastle to Gosford in July. Parramatta and Wests have taken games to NZ over the past few years? Are you suggesting these clubs do the same?

mightybears

Bench
wellington, brisbane and the central coast could all support/pay for teams
perth n adelaide would only work if head office/news ltd had a majority share

i vote for the CCBears!

BuffaloRules

Coach
Hobart are specials....

Right after Glebe get readmitted, and a second team in Melbourne...

How bout we see how the Gold Coast go first hey??

2011 at the earliest for the next team...

Dogs Of War

Coach
Yeh, they did play out of Parramatta Stadium for one year. I forgot about that. 1995 it seems was the year. We became the Sydney Bulldogs that year.

But really Telstra is made for the dogs. We have been getting huge crowds when we play their, and the showground is never ever ever going to be used for NRL footy again.

PARANoIR

Bench
Id wait and see what goes on with the Gold Coast first.

I don't think there would be much of a demand for it in Adelaide. Definitely not Hobart or Fremantle.

I'd like too see a Central Coast side admitted. Ie. The Bears. That'd be probably the first step I'd take.

I'm a believer that teams should not be relocated, they should rid a club from the premiership rather than relocate them. Personally, If the Bulldogs got relocated Id be pretty pissed off, and I imagine that any other fan would see it the same way for their particular club.

As far as other clubs being admitted goes...I think bringing in a Darwin side could be beneficial if the talent was there. Im lead to believe there is a lot of un-mined talent in the Northern Territory, so if its there then it should be used.

I can see a strong claim for Perth, especially after the success in terms of support that teams like the Force and the Perth Glory have gained.

Wellington also have a claim, but with the Warriors struggling, its hard to mount a reasonable argument as to why they should be admitted and how they would be successful.

I think QLD might be able to benefit from another side. Whether it be in Brisbane, or on the Sunny Coast, or even further up north in Central/ North QLD. North QLD is a gold mine, as is the QLD cup, so I'm sure if they put in another side, whilst it would take a little while for the team to get any good (ie. cowboys), if persisted with, they would probably turn out to be quality.

But for the moment I think 16 teams is the go. We should just wait and see what happens with the Titans and how well they go before any more teams are even talked about being admitted.

ali

Bench
Definately NZ, maybe Christchurch ahead of Wellington. NZ is producing a sh*t load of players, so they deserve another side. Make it on the south island, so that it is also partly a development exercise to create even more players. Having a strong NZ means that we have a strong rival to Australia, and another healthy dimension for RL.

Hopefully down the track we can have enough interest in the game, and watching RL at any level on Pay TV, that we can have 2 divisions. I can't see why it's not possible for the likes of Redcliffe, The Sunny Coast, Cairns, Central Coast, Coffs Coast, Port Moresby and about half a dozen NZ cities to have professional RL sides. Hopefully air travel will become cheap enough that something like this will become possible, without the need for large crowds to support these clubs. Promotion and relegation from the NRL would give these sides hope, and add another dimension to the NRL.

Ant

Juniors
For mine I would say Perth.
I always felt there were a number of great tragedies caused by the SL war. The 2 biggest were the loss of the Western Reds and the SQ crushers. It was such an up beat time starting 95, with introduction of the warriors, cowboys, crushers and reds.
All 4 were bold and positive moves by the then ARL, at a time when league was at an all time high. The warriors and cowboys survive, both have had highes and lows, cowboys currently in a high.
The crushers finally gave brisbane a 2nd team, so not everyone had to support the broncos. The early cross town rival stuff was great. SL blew the crushers out of the water for 2 reasons. 1 the over inflated player market, the crushers budget was thrown out the window. 2, most qlders sided with SL, seeing the ARL as a NSW dominated org, the crushers were seen as theirs.
Now the reds, it was a market that had so many chances. League had been well supported when it took games to perth. A population of over 1 million, and so many expats from england and south africa, people longing for something that had the word rugby in the name. The reds averaged 13000 crowds in their first season. The reds u/17 team won the SL title, with only 1 non WA player in their team. Perhaps unlike other markets (Adelaide and Melbourne), Perth represents a new major recruiting area.

So my view it was tradgedy that we left Perth and it is an area with so much potential. So we should go there.

On the central coast, look for mine to a degree to get a side in the northern eagles and not support them was bad. However worse was the decision by the NRL to force Norths to merge, if the planned move by Norths to the central coast had been allowed I think it would have worked. Now I think they have to wait until someone decides to move there.

I think those suggesting the storm should move have rocks in their heads and are extremely narrow minded. Have you learnt nothing from the AFL experience. It took 15 years for the swans and bears/lions to gain a foothold in their markets. Those teams gradually won over the media outlets who now spruik them heavily despite the fact that clearly league is 4 times as popular. The storm have been around for 9 years, thats all. They face a much more hostile media in melbourne. But if we are talking about league remaining strong we must be in Victoria australia's 2nd largest pop state. Nearly 5 million people surely that is a growth area, especially with much work being done at grass roots level, especially schoolboys.

Latest posts