What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where will the Penrith Panthers finish in 2019?

Where will the Penrith Panthers finish in 2019?

• Total voters

franklin2323

Immortal
I think Sele especially is an astute pick up. I reckon he'll get plenty of minutes & have a big impact.

There is a lot of love for Peach, but I can't remember many games where he was MOTM or even in the top 3 players. Not sure he'll be that big a loss. Would of loved to have seen him get an extended run at lock, but the days of a ball playing lock seem to have gone.

I just find it strange how Top 4 or 5 with Hook was a complete fail yet people seemed satisfied with the exact same result for next season...

I am hopeful of Top 4, i think people overestimate how good / how much depth other sides have tbh.

Peachey, Merrin, CHN don't affect our starting team but depth they will.

Round 1 last year Whare was out. if something else happens this year..We have no ready made options. That sort of stuff is why they are underated

tripster

Juniors
Just as important as how we go next season is how the other teams perform.

I feel like a lot of cards are already falling our way in that respect.

Sharks may well be in disarray. Flanagan looks like he will he banned indefinitely from the game shortly. That can only be to the advantage of every other club. You’d have to imagine that the Sharks will be in a bit of turmoil next year, and whomever steps into Flangan’s role is unlikely to be as good a coach as he is.

Slater has retired. Storm are really going to miss him. Hoffman, Glasby and Jacks also gone.

De Belin might end up serving time in 2019 depending on how things play out. Best case he won’t be playing until the outcome of his trial. That can’t be good for the Dragons (in addition to being one of their best forwards, you’d have to imagine that will cause other distractions within the club). They are also going to miss Ah Mau (who was massive for them in 2018).

Warriors no longer have Shaun Johnson. I think they are going to miss him significantly. They have also lost Mason Lino. Do they even have a half back now? Is Keighran going to be their starting 7?

Roosters won it last year. No team has gone back to back in a very long time. It is going to be hard for them to be as hungry as last year (but they will still be in the mix for sure).

Who knows how well the coaching swap works out at the Broncos and Souths. Perhaps it works out brilliantly from the get go, but it equally might take a season for the coaches to get each club working how they would like.

Eels presumably continue to be a basket case. Manly also still restricted by a limited salary cap.

Canberra are probably going to go a lot better, if Hodgson had been in the side the whole season they would have almost certainly finished in the 8. Ricky has also finally got rid of a few of his late in game fading big boppers, so they might be better with that too.

Knights have hired really well. They’ve picked up a number of good forwards (including Klemmer and Glasby). Can’t see them challenging for a title but they must be a good chance of making the 8.

Cowboy’s you’d expect to improve. Who knows how the Tigers will go under their new coach, will he able to get as much of that fairly no name squad as Cleary could?

Last edited:

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
Just as important as how we go next season is how the other teams perform.

I feel like a lot of cards are already falling our way in that respect.

Sharks may well be in disarray. Flanagan looks like he will he banned indefinitely from the game shortly. That can only be to the advantage of every other club. You’d have to imagine that the Sharks will be in a bit of turmoil next year, and whomever steps into Flangan’s role is unlikely to be as good a coach as he is.

Slater has retired. Storm are really going to miss him. Hoffman, Glasby and Jacks also gone.

De Belin might end up serving time in 2019 depending on how things play out. Best case he won’t be playing until the outcome of his trial. That can’t be good for the Dragons (in addition to being one of their best forwards, you’d have to imagine that will cause other distractions within the club). They are also going to miss Ah Mau (who was massive for them in 2018).

Warriors no longer have Shaun Johnson. I think they are going to miss him significantly. They have also lost Mason Lino. Do they even have a half back now? Is Keighran going to be their starting 7?

Roosters won it last year. No team has gone back to back in a very long time. It is going to be hard for them to be as hungry as last year (but they will still be in the mix for sure).

Who knows how well the coaching swap works out at the Broncos and Souths. Perhaps it works out brilliantly from the get go, but it equally might take a season for the coaches to get each club working how they would like.

Eels presumably continue to be a basket case. Many also still restricted by a limited salary cap.

Canberra are probably going to go a lot better, if Hodgson had been in the side the whole season they would have almost certainly finished in the 8. Ricky has also finally got rid of a few of his late in game fading big boppers, so they might be better with that too.

Knights have hired really well. They’ve picked up a number of good forwards (including Klemmer and Glasby). Can’t see them challenging for a title but they must be a good chance of making the 8.

Cowboy’s you’d expect to improve. Who knows how the Tigers will go under their new coach, will he able to get as much of that fairly no name squad as Cleary could?
Pretty much this.

No team has ever won a comp without some form of luck inside and outside of the club. Our '03 side's only real injury was Girdler for a few months. Besides that we were fine and were allowed to build combinations.

Whether or not we are major threats to the comp depends on exactly that. How much time we are allowed to build combinations.

Well I guess we will see, I think you’ll find he’s our back up centre, should one of the other two go down.

I like him, I think he’ll do fine.
Surely a winger coming in and Dallin at centre has to be the go if its more than a week. Hopefully no injuries for once and we'll never know

mxlegend99

Referee
Dallin played centre for us when Ivan Cleary was here in 2015. Injuries forced a bit of a shuffle and between playing wing and fullback he played centre and did a decent job at it.

Hook also picked him at centre in the game where his brother made his debut. He has never played more then a couple of games at centre. But he has played there and a winger/fullback filling in at centre is hardly a huge move. Some players couldn't do it. But many can and have.

The second Blake or Whare gets injured. Shifting DWZ is easily as good an option as any other player.

franklin2323

Immortal
Dallin played centre for us when Ivan Cleary was here in 2015. Injuries forced a bit of a shuffle and between playing wing and fullback he played centre and did a decent job at it.

Hook also picked him at centre in the game where his brother made his debut. He has never played more then a couple of games at centre. But he has played there and a winger/fullback filling in at centre is hardly a huge move. Some players couldn't do it. But many can and have.

The second Blake or Whare gets injured. Shifting DWZ is easily as good an option as any other player.

If we move Fuimaono who plays backrow? Aekins, MWZ and Phillips are all better then our next backrower in line. Dallin is a pretty decent centre too.

Although if he is FB that changes things

mxlegend99

Referee
We dont really know what players will be available if Blake or Whare get injured either. It often ends up being a case where your preferred backup isn't an option at all.

If Edwards is our fullback.. which is almost certain to be the case. I think DWZ should be our back up centre and fullback depending on other circumstances. I can see Aekins being the preferred backup fullback though as its a straight swsp. I dont think we have a straight swap for centre. No matter who is picked there will be flaws.

franklin2323

Immortal
The trials should give us an idea. You'd think the only regular back to play would be Edwards so will be good to get some kind of pecking order