What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where will the Wests Tigers finish in 2019?

Where will the Wests Tigers finish in 2019?

• Total voters

Tigerm

First Grade
A new year, a new coach and a new team, the f**kers have got me interested again:D
Then the realisation we aint going to make the 8, it happens nearly every year, but I live in hope, that maybe just maybe, this will be the year:D

BrotherJim05

Bench
Talk about rewriting history. The only reason we were a shitshow was because of the big 4.

LOL. Re-writing history? You are basically leaving out the entire show of shit, and then placing the shit at the big 4's feet. I believe you are forgetting:
- Potter getting sacked
- Mayer getting sacked
- Salary Cap a complete mess
- Reportedly the worst culture for NRL club
- Two years of Taylorball
- Farah getting pushed out
- Taylor getting sacked

All the above contributed to the shit show known as Wests Tigers while Teddy was at the club. How hard would it have been to convince Teddy to leave?

"Hey mate, come to Bondi and win a premiership!"
"dude I really love this club"
"what do you love about it? The sackings, infighting or inept management? Or maybe the constant lack of success, the broken promises of playing finals footy?"
"umm, well like its my junior club...yeah I dunno, I just like them"
"Weren't you a Roosters fan growing up?"
"yeah true"
"don't you want to win a premiership?"
"hmm yeah I guess"
"wouldn't you rather be sniffing coke of a hooker's tits any time you want and be able to get away with it?"
"okay you've sold me. Lets do this"

BrotherJim05

Bench
A new year, a new coach and a new team, the f**kers have got me interested again:D
Then the realisation we aint going to make the 8, it happens nearly every year, but I live in hope, that maybe just maybe, this will be the year:D

Not this year, we will finish bottom 4, write it off as rebuilding year, then just miss the 8 the year after, then have a new coach year after that

Tiger05

First Grade
Those examples of being a unstable club don't cut it with me. Every club has drama. The only real issue has been our salary cap being a mess which I assume comes from mostly Robbie being massively overpaid and JT trying to fix the situation rather than letting time fix it.

At some point we have to have a decent year or nab a quality player or two.

Tigerm

First Grade
Those examples of being a unstable club don't cut it with me. Every club has drama. The only real issue has been our salary cap being a mess which I assume comes from mostly Robbie being massively overpaid and JT trying to fix the situation rather than letting time fix it.

At some point we have to have a decent year or nab a quality player or two.
T05, it is my understanding that RF was not over paid, but rather catch up/back pay to keep us under the cap in the earlier years of his contract. I thought he was on something like $400k a year (for SOO prob OK) but was only getting half of that in the first few years, in his last year he was on about $900k not JT's fault either, but previous management deals that were bad.
I am sure someone will be better informed than me on this issue.

Tiger05

First Grade
T05, it is my understanding that RF was not over paid, but rather catch up/back pay to keep us under the cap in the earlier years of his contract. I thought he was on something like $400k a year (for SOO prob OK) but was only getting half of that in the first few years, in his last year he was on about $900k not JT's fault either, but previous management deals that were bad.
I am sure someone will be better informed than me on this issue.

I think relative to his performances he was overpaid. That is an opinion but he lost his pace at some point and then was just an average NRL hooker. He had great skills but he also hogged it at the wrong time. When he had the pace plus the skills he was as good as Cameron Smith.

JT to me was to blame for having to move him on. That was a poor decision which sounds like it is still hurting us.

Shredder

Juniors
Yeah RF had his contract back dated as a favour to the club.

He didnt want to do it, but once again put the club first.

He got no more than his agreed contract.

It shits me when people pick on him for this as he did it for the club.

Tiger05

First Grade
Yeah RF had his contract back dated as a favour to the club.

He didnt want to do it, but once again put the club first.

He got no more than his agreed contract.

It shits me when people pick on him for this as he did it for the club.

I don't buy this line at all. RF was overpaid and that impacted our salary cap for a long time. I think Benji was probably overpaid as well.

On top of that both RF and Benji have been that anti-crunch players. RF especially hogs it at the wrong time and tries to win the game for the team by himself.

Robbie may love the club but I've never seen him put the club first.

Front-Rower

First Grade
On top of that both RF and Benji have been that anti-crunch players

Correct. Robbie and Benji were always seen (and probably still are by many of our supporters) as the marquee Wests Tigers players who were/are key to success. However, and I’ll keep saying it, the only time we have ever seen success at the Wests Tigers is when we had a decent half back controlling the side around the park.

Watching some of the classic games on fox and Marshall and Farah were not those players they were made out to be. I’ll give them some slack because they are good 1st grade standard players who at time can be exceptional, but next level on a consistent basis, nope.

Front-Rower

First Grade
I believe you are forgetting:

- Potter getting sacked - Potter got railroaded because he done what needed to be done

- Mayer getting sacked

- Salary Cap a complete mess - Potter warned the club but they didn’t listen

- Reportedly the worst culture for NRL club - Centred around the infamous Robbie and Benji sides of the dressing room

- Two years of Taylorball
- Farah getting pushed out
- Taylor getting sacked - whilst he may not have been the best man manager, the one thing he got right was that he had the guts to do what needed to be done at the end of 2012 possibly 2013.

stryker

First Grade
I don't buy this line at all. RF was overpaid and that impacted our salary cap for a long time. I think Benji was probably overpaid as well.

On top of that both RF and Benji have been that anti-crunch players. RF especially hogs it at the wrong time and tries to win the game for the team by himself.

Robbie may love the club but I've never seen him put the club first.
I love how you claim those two to have been overpaid.
If it wasnt for their on field efforts and more importantly the profiles they brought to this club attracting fans, tv ratings for their games and the corporate dollars that followed , it is entirely possible this club would no longer exist. When you look holistically, they were underpaid. It is naive foolishness mixed with bitterness to suggest otherwise.

There is someone who has been overpaid since he hit first grade and has delivered nothing at all but you judge him by a differing set of values for some strange reason.

Front-Rower

First Grade
If it wasnt for their on field efforts and more importantly the profiles they brought to this club attracting fans, tv ratings for their games and the corporate dollars that followed , it is entirely possible this club would no longer exist. When you look holistically, they were underpaid. It is naive foolishness mixed with bitterness to suggest otherwise.

So basically they have only played for marketing purposes?

Wests Tigers, just like Balmain and Western Suburbs will never be successful because we hold on to supposed legends far too long even when results on the field don’t stack up.

We may as well just get Tommy and Benny as coach and assistant coach and be done with it.

Fordy20

Juniors
So basically they have only played for marketing purposes?

Wests Tigers, just like Balmain and Western Suburbs will never be successful because we hold on to supposed legends far too long even when results on the field don’t stack up.

We may as well just get Tommy and Benny as coach and assistant coach and be done with it.

We're not the Roosters or the Broncos and you are kidding yourself if think our club has ever been the kind of organisation that can attract and retain elite players. When Anasta came to the club, he said the club couldn't even provide enough Gatorade and tape for the players. I reckon it's pretty ungrateful to criticise Marshall and Farah's loyalty to the club and extremely disingenuous to blame that for the club's lack of success.

Latest posts